GPA Addendum - Sample Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JWicker10

Bronze

Re: GPA Addendum - Sample

Post by JWicker10 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:32 pm

You made a value judgement and said "Not bad." You also said you would fix up some things.

This shows how ridiculous your ego is and how you can not be trusted to accurately critique anything. This is a winning Yale essay. This is someone with only a 172 LSAT. This is somehow who got in cause of his Yale 250, and this is it. Yet it's merely "not bad." Sorry man, but you know not of what you speak.
d34dluk3 wrote:
recaldo wrote:5. People think shitty things about a good essay.
Dude, this just isn't true. I was the only one to make a value judgement, and I said it was pretty good.

The guy who said it's plagiarized is criticizing you, not the essay.
You made a value judgement and said "Not bad." You also said you would fix up some things.

This shows how ridiculous your ego is and how you can not be trusted to accurately critique anything. This is a winning Yale essay. This is someone with only a 172 LSAT. This is somehow who got in cause of his Yale 250, and this is it. Yet it's merely "not bad." Sorry man, but you know not of what you speak.
Can I see the letter where Yale says "This essay is the only reason you got in! Congrats!" Pretty sure it takes more than that.

recaldo

Bronze

Post by recaldo » Thu May 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
recaldo wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
Dude, this just isn't true. I was the only one to make a value judgement, and I said it was pretty good.

Two things:

1. Just because it's an essay written by someone who got into Yale does not make it perfect and above criticism.
2. You use pretentious language, and you use it very clumsily. Make sure to have someone check your PS and any addendum you write for this before you submit them. Just a bit of helpful advice.
True to all these. BUT NO ONE IS SAYING ITS NOT ABOVE CRITICISM. It creates a metric though. Which, as I said, WAS THE POINT.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:33 pm

recaldo wrote:You made a value judgement and said "Not bad." You also said you would fix up some things.

I'm not sure you're familiar with the colloquialism. "Not bad" means "pretty good."

Furthermore, asserting that you know why someone got into Yale is pretty ridiculous. Yale is a notorious black box as far as admissions go.

I'm not going to compare digital penises with your friend who's not even here to defend his 172, but you should be aware that many of us on this board are attending or will attend HYS. To imply that we're not at an intellectual level to evaluate your friend's essay just isn't accurate. Given how poor the writing in your statement was, it's pretty pointless as well.
Last edited by d34d9823 on Thu May 20, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JWicker10

Bronze

Post by JWicker10 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm not sure you're familiar with the colloquialism. "Not bad" means "pretty good."

Furthermore, asserting that you know why someone got into Yale is pretty ridiculous. Yale is a notorious black box as far as admission go.

I'm not going to compare digital penises with your friend who's not even here to defend his 172, but you should be aware that many of us on this board are attending or will attend HYS. To imply that we're not at an intellectual level to evaluate your friend's essay just isn't accurate. Given how poor the writing in your statement was, it's pretty pointless as well.
This sums it up perfectly. If you want people to HELP you, don't be offended by their criticisms.

/Thread

recaldo

Bronze

Post by recaldo » Thu May 20, 2010 6:37 pm

JWicker10 wrote:

d34dluk3 wrote:

Can I see the letter where Yale says "This essay is the only reason you got in! Congrats!" Pretty sure it takes more than that.
d34dluk3 wrote:
recaldo wrote:You made a value judgement and said "Not bad." You also said you would fix up some things.

Furthermore, asserting that you know why someone got into Yale is pretty ridiculous. Yale is a notorious black box as far as admission go.

d34dluk3 wrote:

Many people on this board may be attending HYS, but no one on this thread. I doubt someone attending HYS would make such a logical part-whole error. It's basic LSAT 101. Please speak if you are attending one of these institutions and have posted! I would like to hear from you.

Yale 250 is a critical component. But you wouldnt know that because you're still in undergrad d(bunch of numbers)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu May 20, 2010 6:38 pm

This was an entertaining read. Recaldo I don't think you are over your psychological issues. You seem like a crazy person. Or you are a brilliant flame. Not sure which.

Janus

New

Post by Janus » Thu May 20, 2010 6:38 pm

recaldo wrote:
Janus wrote:Wow, this thread went down in flames to the point it's now pointless.

But, to add to it...

Just because you have provided a personal statement by someone who will be attending Yale, does not mean it is the Gold standard by which all other personal statements should be judged. It does not mean the personal statement is flawless. Indeed, had I been asked to revise it, there are things about it I would revise.

Just tell everyone you understand it should be your personal statement. Then, rewrite it and repost it for the next set of revisions. The end.
That's not what is being debated here. I already know its not proper gpa addendum format. The point is about whether its bad ideas, bad writing, and whether I come off like a crazy person.
1. I know what's being debated.

2. I tried to provide you with constructive critism. That being said, it's not well written. Again, I was trying to be helpful in my revision so I chose to provide ideas for direction instead of just out-right saying it needed to be totally re-written. But, it DOES need to be re-written. It read like a (very) rough draft that hasn't had any revisions.

3. Stop being so confrontational. I agree, you sort of started the fire.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:This was an entertaining read. Recaldo I don't think you are over your psychological issues. You seem like a crazy person. Or you are a brilliant flame. Not sure which.
I think he's a flame, but I've been enjoying the discussion.

If he is real, then yeah, he's off his fucking rocker.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Recaldo I don't think you are over your psychological issues. You seem like a crazy person. Or you are a brilliant flame. Not sure which.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

recaldo

Bronze

Post by recaldo » Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Edited for obvious reasons
Last edited by recaldo on Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Janus wrote:I tried to provide you with constructive critism. That being said, it's not well written. Again, I was trying to be helpful in my revision so I chose to provide ideas for direction instead of just out-right saying it needed to be totally re-written. But, it DOES need to be re-written. It read like a (very) rough draft that hasn't had any revisions.
Janus, for what it's worth, your edits were solid. I PMed him that, but it seems to have had no effect...

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu May 20, 2010 6:55 pm

recaldo wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:This was an entertaining read. Recaldo I don't think you are over your psychological issues. You seem like a crazy person. Or you are a brilliant flame. Not sure which.
How do I seem like a crazy person?
Well I'm not going to go through the whole thread and pull out every crazy thing you said. But trust me you seem unstable. Your GPA addendum sucked, some people tried to help you and you freaked the fuck out. Pretty crazy.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu May 20, 2010 7:00 pm

I would just like to point out that his "friend" from whom he "borrowed" that PS is bugfuck nuts too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Janus

New

Post by Janus » Thu May 20, 2010 7:21 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Janus wrote:I tried to provide you with constructive critism. That being said, it's not well written. Again, I was trying to be helpful in my revision so I chose to provide ideas for direction instead of just out-right saying it needed to be totally re-written. But, it DOES need to be re-written. It read like a (very) rough draft that hasn't had any revisions.
Janus, for what it's worth, your edits were solid. I PMed him that, but it seems to have had no effect...
Thanks. There's a lot he could do with it if he took the time.

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Thu May 20, 2010 10:55 pm

This thread is going no where and fast. However, it is entertaining.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu May 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Yup, this was USDA prime.

Also, Janus: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15223650/

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 pm

clintonius wrote:Yup, this was USDA prime.

Wait, so this guy might actually be real?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Well, yeah, but that was never not a possibility. I'm less certain about it being flame than I was earlier in the day. Regardless, I'm rather enjoying the show (also I saved a copy of his "addendum" for posterity's sake).

Janus

New

Post by Janus » Fri May 21, 2010 7:55 am

Ugh. It says the link is broken. What did I miss?

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Fri May 21, 2010 8:51 am

kalvano wrote: bugfuck nuts
It is my personal goal and intention to use this phrase 3x per day until I die. Thank you Kalvano for my new favorite insult.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Fri May 21, 2010 9:46 am

People are taking this seriously? The diction and structure are complete nonsense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

recaldo

Bronze

Post by recaldo » Fri May 21, 2010 9:54 am

Edited
Last edited by recaldo on Fri May 21, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

recaldo

Bronze

Post by recaldo » Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 am

Edited
Last edited by recaldo on Fri May 21, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 am

Janus wrote:

This work? http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/index.html

Janus

New

Post by Janus » Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 am

clintonius wrote:
Janus wrote:

This work? http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/index.html
Wow. Clearly, I didn't get that from reading his statement. I just assumed he was talking about 911 and his building was one of the casualties of that disaster. Just another reason why it needs to be revised.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”