taking a year off after first year of ls?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blurbz

Re: taking a year off after first year of ls?

Postby blurbz » Fri May 21, 2010 9:10 am

Additionally, why don't you put in your deposits and prepare for law school as if you will be attending and, if you are accepted to the program, withdraw. It might cost you some money, but if you're certain you don't want to take a year off (improve the LSAT, anyone?) it may be well worth it.

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Fri May 21, 2010 9:19 am

blurbz wrote:Additionally, why don't you put in your deposits and prepare for law school as if you will be attending and, if you are accepted to the program, withdraw. It might cost you some money, but if you're certain you don't want to take a year off (improve the LSAT, anyone?) it may be well worth it.

Because he will already be well into his first year of law school prior to hearing about his acceptance or denial from the program.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 21, 2010 9:23 am

mazzini wrote:
blurbz wrote:Additionally, why don't you put in your deposits and prepare for law school as if you will be attending and, if you are accepted to the program, withdraw. It might cost you some money, but if you're certain you don't want to take a year off (improve the LSAT, anyone?) it may be well worth it.

Because he will already be well into his first year of law school prior to hearing about his acceptance or denial from the program.

Fair. Like I said, though, it will cost him some money. The school will (at least I assume they will since it's a common practice) pro-rate his tuition if he withdraws in the middle of the semester. Is it ideal? No. But the OP seems to want to have his hand in both pots and this is the only feasible way to do that, I think. Additionally, I don't believe that leaving for this opportunity would create any problems if he were to reapply to schools a few years down the road.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Fri May 21, 2010 10:01 am

andyman wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Your State Department career path isn't compatable with law school. Pick one.

It is if I'm pursuing a JD/MPP

I didn't meant this degree. I meant that you're simultaniously applying for a multi-year commitment job, a multi-year commitment school, and wondering if you can somehow do both. You're not just talking about getting a joint degree, which is rare but fine and normal. Taking a time off to work in some other job just makes you look less committed to being a lawyer.

Also, since you're going to a T2, you're not going to a MPP feeder school so your joint degree isn't nearly as useful as you might think it would be. There aren't that many legitimate PP/PA schools and most are Ivy or at top state universities that do not have T2 law schools.

Basically, figure out what the hell you actually want to do.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”