UC Irvine Law Ranking

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby californiauser » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
indo wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:It seems like the expected range for Irvine's debut ranking is around T20-T30. Could it possibly be as competitive as UCLA and Berkeley?



NO. UCI will NOT be competitive as UCLA or Berkeley.


I bet uci will be top 50, but I highly doubt it will outrank uc Davis or possibly uc Hastings . There are already so many schools. Plus, it seems likes rankings does correspond somewhat to overall university rankings. While uci is a good school, it pales into comparison to ucdavis. I think people are a little too optimistic in its ranking.


How so?

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby yeslekkkk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 pm

californiauser wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
indo wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:It seems like the expected range for Irvine's debut ranking is around T20-T30. Could it possibly be as competitive as UCLA and Berkeley?



NO. UCI will NOT be competitive as UCLA or Berkeley.


I bet uci will be top 50, but I highly doubt it will outrank uc Davis or possibly uc Hastings . There are already so many schools. Plus, it seems likes rankings does correspond somewhat to overall university rankings. While uci is a good school, it pales into comparison to ucdavis. I think people are a little too optimistic in its ranking.


How so?


I didn't really liked how I worded this. I was at work and typing it on my cell phone. While I know its LSAT and GPA medians are highly competitive, I was talking about the university in general and how that connects with rankings. I know people are probably doing the math behind the rankings, but it seems like the university's overall reputation has a lot to do with its rankings success. Interesting how a lot of top public universities are also top public law schools. hmmm... UCs are well-known in general. Obviously, opening a law school at a UC is a safer bet than an independent law school popping up in Orange County. Just because of that UC connection, the school already has a leg up. It's able to attract better professors, staff, etc. However, in the grand scheme of California reputations, UCI is not the creme de la creme of the UCs or universities in CA, in general. IT IS A GREAT UNIVERSITY, but I don't think it will be able to compete long-term with other Southern California schools (cough cough USC, UCLA). Those universities are on another level of their own. People I know are impressed if you go to UCLA or USC, but if you say you go to UCI, they're like, "Mehhh." I think that feeling of the university in general will translate over into the feeling about the law school. It will still be a fine institution of learning and a much better option than others, but I don't think it will be at the top. I brought up UC Davis earlier, because it's a UC roughly around UCI's level of reputation in CA (UC Davis might be a little higher). However, UCI and UC Davis both feed into different markets, so it's hard to compare them. I just can't imagine UCI blowing UC Davis out of the park long-term. But hey, anything is possible, and I haven't done the math on the rankings.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3400
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
I didn't really liked how I worded this. I was at work and typing it on my cell phone. While I know its LSAT and GPA medians are highly competitive, I was talking about the university in general and how that connects with rankings. I know people are probably doing the math behind the rankings, but it seems like the university's overall reputation has a lot to do with its rankings success. Interesting how a lot of top public universities are also top public law schools. hmmm... UCs are well-known in general. Obviously, opening a law school at a UC is a safer bet than an independent law school popping up in Orange County. Just because of that UC connection, the school already has a leg up. It's able to attract better professors, staff, etc. However, in the grand scheme of California reputations, UCI is not the creme de la creme of the UCs or universities in CA, in general. IT IS A GREAT UNIVERSITY, but I don't think it will be able to compete long-term with other Southern California schools (cough cough USC, UCLA). Those universities are on another level of their own. People I know are impressed if you go to UCLA or USC, but if you say you go to UCI, they're like, "Mehhh." I think that feeling of the university in general will translate over into the feeling about the law school. It will still be a fine institution of learning and a much better option than others, but I don't think it will be at the top. I brought up UC Davis earlier, because it's a UC roughly around UCI's level of reputation in CA (UC Davis might be a little higher). However, UCI and UC Davis both feed into different markets, so it's hard to compare them. I just can't imagine UCI blowing UC Davis out of the park long-term. But hey, anything is possible, and I haven't done the math on the rankings.


Davis is done. Compared to the previous year, it's class size got completely decimated. It lost a QUARTER of the class AND it's 25th/50th/75th LSAT percentiles all dropped by 1. However, I have way more respect for it than UC HaTTTTings who let their medians fall to the 150s while increasing their class size.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XZnc#gid=0

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby yeslekkkk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:33 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
I didn't really liked how I worded this. I was at work and typing it on my cell phone. While I know its LSAT and GPA medians are highly competitive, I was talking about the university in general and how that connects with rankings. I know people are probably doing the math behind the rankings, but it seems like the university's overall reputation has a lot to do with its rankings success. Interesting how a lot of top public universities are also top public law schools. hmmm... UCs are well-known in general. Obviously, opening a law school at a UC is a safer bet than an independent law school popping up in Orange County. Just because of that UC connection, the school already has a leg up. It's able to attract better professors, staff, etc. However, in the grand scheme of California reputations, UCI is not the creme de la creme of the UCs or universities in CA, in general. IT IS A GREAT UNIVERSITY, but I don't think it will be able to compete long-term with other Southern California schools (cough cough USC, UCLA). Those universities are on another level of their own. People I know are impressed if you go to UCLA or USC, but if you say you go to UCI, they're like, "Mehhh." I think that feeling of the university in general will translate over into the feeling about the law school. It will still be a fine institution of learning and a much better option than others, but I don't think it will be at the top. I brought up UC Davis earlier, because it's a UC roughly around UCI's level of reputation in CA (UC Davis might be a little higher). However, UCI and UC Davis both feed into different markets, so it's hard to compare them. I just can't imagine UCI blowing UC Davis out of the park long-term. But hey, anything is possible, and I haven't done the math on the rankings.


Davis is done. Compared to the previous year, it's class size got completely decimated. It lost a QUARTER of the class AND it's 25th/50th/75th LSAT percentiles all dropped by 1. However, I have way more respect for it than UC HaTTTTings who let their medians fall to the 150s while increasing their class size.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XZnc#gid=0


Yeah, UC Hastings is SOL. The most concerning part about this is that multiple UCs can't keep their s*** together in California's economy. That, my friends, is scary. We should all be very afraid. I still don't think UCI is going to be a real safe bet in the long term. Go there if you get HELLA money. Otherwise, I would still be very skeptical.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3400
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I can't believe there are still crazy ass people paying sticker at these TTTs.

rstahl
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby rstahl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:39 pm

How so?


I didn't really liked how I worded this. I was at work and typing it on my cell phone. While I know its LSAT and GPA medians are highly competitive, I was talking about the university in general and how that connects with rankings. I know people are probably doing the math behind the rankings, but it seems like the university's overall reputation has a lot to do with its rankings success. Interesting how a lot of top public universities are also top public law schools. hmmm... UCs are well-known in general. Obviously, opening a law school at a UC is a safer bet than an independent law school popping up in Orange County. Just because of that UC connection, the school already has a leg up. It's able to attract better professors, staff, etc. However, in the grand scheme of California reputations, UCI is not the creme de la creme of the UCs or universities in CA, in general. IT IS A GREAT UNIVERSITY, but I don't think it will be able to compete long-term with other Southern California schools (cough cough USC, UCLA). Those universities are on another level of their own. People I know are impressed if you go to UCLA or USC, but if you say you go to UCI, they're like, "Mehhh." I think that feeling of the university in general will translate over into the feeling about the law school. It will still be a fine institution of learning and a much better option than others, but I don't think it will be at the top. I brought up UC Davis earlier, because it's a UC roughly around UCI's level of reputation in CA (UC Davis might be a little higher). However, UCI and UC Davis both feed into different markets, so it's hard to compare them. I just can't imagine UCI blowing UC Davis out of the park long-term. But hey, anything is possible, and I haven't done the math on the rankings.


I think this revised wording is much more accurate. I do think that UCI will be ranked 10 or so higher than Davis right off the bat, but I agree that it will lose steam, especially since they still have about 35% class size to increase before they hit their goal (128 now I think with 200 as a goal).

I don't think most people here have any thoughts that UCI might compete with USC or UCLA long term.

User avatar
aesth24
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby aesth24 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:33 pm

rstahl wrote:
How so?



I think this revised wording is much more accurate. I do think that UCI will be ranked 10 or so higher than Davis right off the bat, but I agree that it will lose steam, especially since they still have about 35% class size to increase before they hit their goal (128 now I think with 200 as a goal).

I don't think most people here have any thoughts that UCI might compete with USC or UCLA long term.


Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UCI
UCD
...

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 pm

aesth24 wrote:
rstahl wrote:
How so?



I think this revised wording is much more accurate. I do think that UCI will be ranked 10 or so higher than Davis right off the bat, but I agree that it will lose steam, especially since they still have about 35% class size to increase before they hit their goal (128 now I think with 200 as a goal).

I don't think most people here have any thoughts that UCI might compete with USC or UCLA long term.


Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UCI
UCD
...


I think that UCI will out perform Davis by virtue of being in an actual legal market. I could not fathom it overtaking UCLA or USC. Those schools have epic alumni bases in SoCal that UCI cannot touch.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby zman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:11 am

The word is that 2013 class from UCI bombed on the bar exam after doing very well last year with a small class.

rstahl
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby rstahl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:21 pm

zman wrote:The word is that 2013 class from UCI bombed on the bar exam after doing very well last year with a small class.


Word from where?

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby yeslekkkk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:59 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
aesth24 wrote:
rstahl wrote:
How so?



I think this revised wording is much more accurate. I do think that UCI will be ranked 10 or so higher than Davis right off the bat, but I agree that it will lose steam, especially since they still have about 35% class size to increase before they hit their goal (128 now I think with 200 as a goal).

I don't think most people here have any thoughts that UCI might compete with USC or UCLA long term.


Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UCI
UCD
...


I think that UCI will out perform Davis by virtue of being in an actual legal market. I could not fathom it overtaking UCLA or USC. Those schools have epic alumni bases in SoCal that UCI cannot touch.


Yes, UCI is a stronger legal market, but I don't think that's enough. Living in SoCal or Orange County specifically is highly desirable for a lot people. They probably attract a lot of T-14ers, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, etc. Then you have your other local schools, lower tier L.A. schools, etc. I don't think Orange County is lacking a labor force. Whereas with UC Davis, you hit up that Sacramento, Valley, Bay area legal market. Obviously, they compete with Bay Area schools for Bay Area jobs, but they have Sacramento (besides UOP-McGeorge). I don't imagine a lot of other people get super stoked to move to Sacramento. My original post is that I think therer will be some space in the rankings between USC and UCI. I never imagined UCI to overtake USC, but I just don't imagine it as even remotely a peer school.

I think it really depends on your goals and where you want to be. For me, I would want to work in San Diego if I stay in California. I was born here, raised here, etc. San Diegans are, in general, extremely loyal to other San Diegans. It seems like going to USD might be a better choice than UCI if, say, your target market was San Diego. I think it really depends, and as everyone has said before, the rankings become useless after a certain point.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:26 pm

rstahl wrote:
zman wrote:The word is that 2013 class from UCI bombed on the bar exam after doing very well last year with a small class.


Word from where?

UC Davis.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:23 am

[/quote]

I think that UCI will out perform Davis by virtue of being in an actual legal market. I could not fathom it overtaking UCLA or USC. Those schools have epic alumni bases in SoCal that UCI cannot touch.[/quote]

Yes, UCI is a stronger legal market, but I don't think that's enough. Living in SoCal or Orange County specifically is highly desirable for a lot people. They probably attract a lot of T-14ers, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, etc. Then you have your other local schools, lower tier L.A. schools, etc. I don't think Orange County is lacking a labor force. Whereas with UC Davis, you hit up that Sacramento, Valley, Bay area legal market. Obviously, they compete with Bay Area schools for Bay Area jobs, but they have Sacramento (besides UOP-McGeorge). I don't imagine a lot of other people get super stoked to move to Sacramento. My original post is that I think therer will be some space in the rankings between USC and UCI. I never imagined UCI to overtake USC, but I just don't imagine it as even remotely a peer school.

I think it really depends on your goals and where you want to be. For me, I would want to work in San Diego if I stay in California. I was born here, raised here, etc. San Diegans are, in general, extremely loyal to other San Diegans. It seems like going to USD might be a better choice than UCI if, say, your target market was San Diego. I think it really depends, and as everyone has said before, the rankings become useless after a certain point.[/quote]

Please, please do not go to USD. Worse choice you can make.

rstahl
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby rstahl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:04 pm

phillywc wrote:
rstahl wrote:
zman wrote:The word is that 2013 class from UCI bombed on the bar exam after doing very well last year with a small class.


Word from where?

UC Davis.


Elaborate please.

User avatar
Legisperitus
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:27 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby Legisperitus » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 pm

rstahl wrote:
phillywc wrote:
rstahl wrote:
zman wrote:The word is that 2013 class from UCI bombed on the bar exam after doing very well last year with a small class.


Word from where?

UC Davis.


Elaborate please.

I think philly was joking

rstahl
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby rstahl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:40 pm

I think philly was joking


Ahh. Definitely a bit of over thinking on my part.

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby yeslekkkk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:08 am

jarofsoup wrote:


I think that UCI will out perform Davis by virtue of being in an actual legal market. I could not fathom it overtaking UCLA or USC. Those schools have epic alumni bases in SoCal that UCI cannot touch.[/quote]

Yes, UCI is a stronger legal market, but I don't think that's enough. Living in SoCal or Orange County specifically is highly desirable for a lot people. They probably attract a lot of T-14ers, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, etc. Then you have your other local schools, lower tier L.A. schools, etc. I don't think Orange County is lacking a labor force. Whereas with UC Davis, you hit up that Sacramento, Valley, Bay area legal market. Obviously, they compete with Bay Area schools for Bay Area jobs, but they have Sacramento (besides UOP-McGeorge). I don't imagine a lot of other people get super stoked to move to Sacramento. My original post is that I think therer will be some space in the rankings between USC and UCI. I never imagined UCI to overtake USC, but I just don't imagine it as even remotely a peer school.

I think it really depends on your goals and where you want to be. For me, I would want to work in San Diego if I stay in California. I was born here, raised here, etc. San Diegans are, in general, extremely loyal to other San Diegans. It seems like going to USD might be a better choice than UCI if, say, your target market was San Diego. I think it really depends, and as everyone has said before, the rankings become useless after a certain point.[/quote]

Please, please do not go to USD. Worse choice you can make.[/quote]


ha. okay. Well, I would probably say don't go to UCI either. Just the solid CA 4... UCB, Stanford, UCLA, USC.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby rion91 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Bumpin an old thread - anyone got a guess?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], m052310 and 4 guests