UC Irvine Law Ranking

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ozarkhack

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Postby ozarkhack » Thu May 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:2) The majority of people, including TLS members, professors, and regional law firms, all have love for UCI.

Well, maybe that's a bit much. I'd say that a majority are ambivalent about UCI, at best. Ignorant about it, at most likely.

And as a Davis-bounder and proud member of the reality-based community, I take issue with lumping Davis/Hastings in with the other schools as you did. But that exhausts the extent to which I'm going to get huffy about UCI. Folks do seem to get bent out of shape about this. But can't you see that the above quoted claim kind of pushes people to extremes? (I'm leaving out the "other side's" extremes but acknowledging that they're out there.)

Anyway: I'm hoping UCI does bang-up business and that its grads get all sorts of great jobs. I figure if UCI does well, it'll be another nice feather in the UC cap. And that's super with me. If it debuts above Davis in the rankings, fine. If it doesn't, fine. I doubt my ability (or inability) to get a job will be affected either way.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu May 27, 2010 6:08 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:2) The majority of people, including TLS members, professors, and regional law firms, all have love for UCI.

Well, maybe that's a bit much. If I were going to make a claim w/o any facts to back it up , I'd claim that a majority are ambivalent about UCI, at best. Ignorant about it, at most likely.

And as a Davis-bounder and proud member of the reality-based community, I take issue with lumping Davis/Hastings in with the other schools as you did. But that exhausts the extent to which I'm going to get huffy about UCI. Folks do seem to get bent out of shape about this. But can't you see that the above quoted claim kind of pushes people to extremes? (I'm leaving out the "other side's" extremes but acknowledging that they're out there.)

Anyway: I'm hoping UCI does bang-up business and that its grads get all sorts of great jobs. I figure if UCI does well, it'll be another nice feather in the UC cap. And that's super with me. If it debuts above Davis in the rankings, fine. If it doesn't, fine. I doubt my ability (or inability) to get a job will be affected either way.

I've always liked you. The Newman Cool Hand Luke tar goes a long way with me, granted, but everything you post is pretty even-keeled.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Thu May 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Irvine will do fine.

If I had to guess, even if UCI doesn't debut at T20, it will place like a T20 or better in the OC. There's a lot riding on its success -- and I expect them to pull out all the stops. Outside of the OC and possibly LA/SD, I think it will take a while to build up a reputation. I wouldn't be worried if I were in the first few classes, which undoubtedly will enjoy a honeymoon period and very little debt to boot. I'd be more worried if I were in the 4th or 5th class.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:42 pm

autarkh wrote:Irvine will do fine.

If I had to guess, even if UCI doesn't debut at T20, it will place like a T20 or better in the OC. There's a lot riding on its success -- and I expect them to pull out all the stops. Outside of the OC and possibly LA, I think it will take a while to build up a reputation. I wouldn't be worried if I were in the first few classes, which undoubtedly will enjoy a honeymoon period and very little debt to boot. I'd be more worried if I were in the 4th or 5th class.

The point of T14 is portability. If it places RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME in the OC, it will still be nothing better than a regional powerhouse, along the lines of USC/UCLA. And while I think the first couple of classes will place well, I expect that it will still struggle to be top30 style placement in 4 years. No alumni, and all of the school connections have been used up. I think it will still be a good school, and maybe even at a good price, but I don't see it maintaining a T25 status long term.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu May 27, 2010 6:55 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:The only thing I have learned from this thread is that the majority sees UCI as a bad investment, which is great because the majority of people on TLS suggested I attend UCI...

you are not taking into account several time sensitive factors:

your auto scholarship
the ridiculous lobbying UCI profs will do for their first couple classes
tiny class size

all of these things are true for YOU

but they won't necessarily be true in the future

this thread is talking about UCI ranking. It won't even be ranked for another 4 or so years... 4 years from now you'll already be graduated.

Just writing this because I've told lots of people to head to UCI, even after I decided to UCH, but apparently since I'm going to UCH my reasoning can't correct... or something like that.
Last edited by Borhas on Thu May 27, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Thu May 27, 2010 6:56 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:

If I had to guess, even if UCI doesn't debut at T20, it will place like a T20 or better in the OC. There's a lot riding on its success -- and I expect them to pull out all the stops. Outside of the OC and possibly LA, I think it will take a while to build up a reputation. I wouldn't be worried if I were in the first few classes, which undoubtedly will enjoy a honeymoon period and very little debt to boot. I'd be more worried if I were in the 4th or 5th class.

The point of T14 is portability. If it places RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME in the OC, it will still be nothing better than a regional powerhouse, along the lines of USC/UCLA. And while I think the first couple of classes will place well, I expect that it will still struggle to be top30 style placement in 4 years. No alumni, and all of the school connections have been used up. I think it will still be a good school, and maybe even at a good price, but I don't see it maintaining a T25 status long term.

I could see it going either way.

Self-sustainability really depends on whether the first few classes pave the way for their successors. If the awesome faculty and "raw material" they had to work with translates into great lawyers, they may be able to get over that initial hump where they can no longer fully or partially fund all their students. Else, they'll probably slip back into T50 anonymity once the honeymoon wears off.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Thu May 27, 2010 8:30 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:

If I had to guess, even if UCI doesn't debut at T20, it will place like a T20 or better in the OC. There's a lot riding on its success -- and I expect them to pull out all the stops. Outside of the OC and possibly LA/SD, I think it will take a while to build up a reputation. I wouldn't be worried if I were in the first few classes, which undoubtedly will enjoy a honeymoon period and very little debt to boot. I'd be more worried if I were in the 4th or 5th class.

If you are going to Irvine, first thing to learn - do not call it the OC.

I'm not going to Irvine. One big reason is that I think the OC is a sterile pre-fabricated suburban wasteland. I'd hate to get stuck working there for a couple of years.

Postby 20160810 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:07 pm

It's also worth mentioning that Orange County might be the worst place in the entire universe.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I hate Orange County too but come on there are much worse places. In California alone you've got Fresno, Bakersfield, the entire Inland Empire. Orange County's not that bad. Also Irvine =/= all of Orange County.

Fair enough, but that's like comparing subtle differences in the noxiousness of manure. There's a difference, but I'd prefer not to have to develop the skill to detect it.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:52 pm

autarkh wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:I hate Orange County too but come on there are much worse places. In California alone you've got Fresno, Bakersfield, the entire Inland Empire. Orange County's not that bad. Also Irvine =/= all of Orange County.

Fair enough, but that's like comparing subtle differences in the noxiousness of manure. There's a difference, but I'd prefer not to have to develop the skill to detect it.

Just the fact that OC has some of the best weather on earth has to count for something.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
autarkh wrote:

Just the fact that OC has some of the best weather on earth has to count for something.

Sure it does. But the same weather is available to the immediate north and south. :mrgreen:

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:57 pm

autarkh wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
autarkh wrote:

Sure it does. But the same weather is available to the immediate north and south. :mrgreen:

The natural disasters mitigate the weather, I think. Of course, my favorite season is winter. Winter golf (with no snow) ftw.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 27, 2010 10:07 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Thu May 27, 2010 10:08 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
autarkh wrote:

+50...and the proximity to an ocean and quality of life have at least 50% of the country beat...and Im being safe here

OC > both dakotas, montana, kentucky, WV, Nevada, Oklahoma to start

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 pm

I concede that Orange County beaches are better than their LA counterparts. But that does not require living in the OC. That's what the 405 is for (and one of its few legitimate uses).

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
The natural disasters mitigate the weather, I think. Of course, my favorite season is winter. Winter golf (with no snow) ftw.

I've lived in Orange County for 25+ years and I've never been through a serious natural disaster.

No fires or earthquakes?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 27, 2010 10:19 pm

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu May 27, 2010 10:21 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
autarkh wrote:

+50...and the proximity to an ocean and quality of life have at least 50% of the country beat...and Im being safe here

OC > both dakotas, montana, kentucky, WV, Nevada, Oklahoma to start

Fuck you. South Dakota > OC :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Postby 20160810 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Granted Bakersfield is far worse than OC, but it shouldn't even be compared. Bakersfield is a meth-fueled, redneck-infested, smog-choked hellhole that stays over 100 degrees half of the year. I don't even consider Bakersfield a part of California. I consider it proof that Hell exists as a punishment for the truly evil.

The problem with OC is wasted potential. Beautiful beaches, amazing weather... you could have the most livable place in the US right there. But then it got infested with terrible people. The residents there have enough money to justify the opening of any kind of business, but their taste is so shitty that instead of great clubs and restaurants you have chain bullshit like PF Chang's. Nothing is interesting or unique.

Orange County is literally proof that conservative white people are, on average, pretty fucking boring.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 27, 2010 10:28 pm

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Thu May 27, 2010 10:43 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:The problem with OC is wasted potential. Beautiful beaches, amazing weather... you could have the most livable place in the US right there. But then it got infested with terrible people. The residents there have enough money to justify the opening of any kind of business, but their taste is so shitty that instead of great clubs and restaurants you have chain bullshit like PF Chang's. Nothing is interesting or unique.

Orange County is literally proof that conservative white people are, on average, pretty fucking boring.

tru

Postby tru » Fri May 28, 2010 12:52 am

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri May 28, 2010 12:55 am

Can I cure a UCI w/ penicillin?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”