UC Irvine Law Ranking Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
californiauser

Silver

Re: UC Irvine Law Ranking

Post by californiauser » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
indo wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:It seems like the expected range for Irvine's debut ranking is around T20-T30. Could it possibly be as competitive as UCLA and Berkeley?

NO. UCI will NOT be competitive as UCLA or Berkeley.
I bet uci will be top 50, but I highly doubt it will outrank uc Davis or possibly uc Hastings . There are already so many schools. Plus, it seems likes rankings does correspond somewhat to overall university rankings. While uci is a good school, it pales into comparison to ucdavis. I think people are a little too optimistic in its ranking.
How so?

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 pm

californiauser wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
indo wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:It seems like the expected range for Irvine's debut ranking is around T20-T30. Could it possibly be as competitive as UCLA and Berkeley?

NO. UCI will NOT be competitive as UCLA or Berkeley.
I bet uci will be top 50, but I highly doubt it will outrank uc Davis or possibly uc Hastings . There are already so many schools. Plus, it seems likes rankings does correspond somewhat to overall university rankings. While uci is a good school, it pales into comparison to ucdavis. I think people are a little too optimistic in its ranking.
How so?
I didn't really liked how I worded this. I was at work and typing it on my cell phone. While I know its LSAT and GPA medians are highly competitive, I was talking about the university in general and how that connects with rankings. I know people are probably doing the math behind the rankings, but it seems like the university's overall reputation has a lot to do with its rankings success. Interesting how a lot of top public universities are also top public law schools. hmmm... UCs are well-known in general. Obviously, opening a law school at a UC is a safer bet than an independent law school popping up in Orange County. Just because of that UC connection, the school already has a leg up. It's able to attract better professors, staff, etc. However, in the grand scheme of California reputations, UCI is not the creme de la creme of the UCs or universities in CA, in general. IT IS A GREAT UNIVERSITY, but I don't think it will be able to compete long-term with other Southern California schools (cough cough USC, UCLA). Those universities are on another level of their own. People I know are impressed if you go to UCLA or USC, but if you say you go to UCI, they're like, "Mehhh." I think that feeling of the university in general will translate over into the feeling about the law school. It will still be a fine institution of learning and a much better option than others, but I don't think it will be at the top. I brought up UC Davis earlier, because it's a UC roughly around UCI's level of reputation in CA (UC Davis might be a little higher). However, UCI and UC Davis both feed into different markets, so it's hard to compare them. I just can't imagine UCI blowing UC Davis out of the park long-term. But hey, anything is possible, and I haven't done the math on the rankings.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
I didn't really liked how I worded this. I was at work and typing it on my cell phone. While I know its LSAT and GPA medians are highly competitive, I was talking about the university in general and how that connects with rankings. I know people are probably doing the math behind the rankings, but it seems like the university's overall reputation has a lot to do with its rankings success. Interesting how a lot of top public universities are also top public law schools. hmmm... UCs are well-known in general. Obviously, opening a law school at a UC is a safer bet than an independent law school popping up in Orange County. Just because of that UC connection, the school already has a leg up. It's able to attract better professors, staff, etc. However, in the grand scheme of California reputations, UCI is not the creme de la creme of the UCs or universities in CA, in general. IT IS A GREAT UNIVERSITY, but I don't think it will be able to compete long-term with other Southern California schools (cough cough USC, UCLA). Those universities are on another level of their own. People I know are impressed if you go to UCLA or USC, but if you say you go to UCI, they're like, "Mehhh." I think that feeling of the university in general will translate over into the feeling about the law school. It will still be a fine institution of learning and a much better option than others, but I don't think it will be at the top. I brought up UC Davis earlier, because it's a UC roughly around UCI's level of reputation in CA (UC Davis might be a little higher). However, UCI and UC Davis both feed into different markets, so it's hard to compare them. I just can't imagine UCI blowing UC Davis out of the park long-term. But hey, anything is possible, and I haven't done the math on the rankings.
Davis is done. Compared to the previous year, it's class size got completely decimated. It lost a QUARTER of the class AND it's 25th/50th/75th LSAT percentiles all dropped by 1. However, I have way more respect for it than UC HaTTTTings who let their medians fall to the 150s while increasing their class size.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XZnc#gid=0

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:33 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
Davis is done. Compared to the previous year, it's class size got completely decimated. It lost a QUARTER of the class AND it's 25th/50th/75th LSAT percentiles all dropped by 1. However, I have way more respect for it than UC HaTTTTings who let their medians fall to the 150s while increasing their class size.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XZnc#gid=0
Yeah, UC Hastings is SOL. The most concerning part about this is that multiple UCs can't keep their s*** together in California's economy. That, my friends, is scary. We should all be very afraid. I still don't think UCI is going to be a real safe bet in the long term. Go there if you get HELLA money. Otherwise, I would still be very skeptical.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I can't believe there are still crazy ass people paying sticker at these TTTs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rstahl

New

Post by rstahl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:39 pm

How so?
I think this revised wording is much more accurate. I do think that UCI will be ranked 10 or so higher than Davis right off the bat, but I agree that it will lose steam, especially since they still have about 35% class size to increase before they hit their goal (128 now I think with 200 as a goal).

I don't think most people here have any thoughts that UCI might compete with USC or UCLA long term.

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:33 pm

rstahl wrote:
How so?

I think this revised wording is much more accurate. I do think that UCI will be ranked 10 or so higher than Davis right off the bat, but I agree that it will lose steam, especially since they still have about 35% class size to increase before they hit their goal (128 now I think with 200 as a goal).

I don't think most people here have any thoughts that UCI might compete with USC or UCLA long term.
Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UCI
UCD

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 pm

aesth24 wrote:
rstahl wrote:
How so?

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UCI
UCD
I think that UCI will out perform Davis by virtue of being in an actual legal market. I could not fathom it overtaking UCLA or USC. Those schools have epic alumni bases in SoCal that UCI cannot touch.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:11 am

The word is that 2013 class from UCI bombed on the bar exam after doing very well last year with a small class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rstahl

New

Post by rstahl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:21 pm

zman wrote:The word is that 2013 class from UCI bombed on the bar exam after doing very well last year with a small class.
Word from where?

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:59 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
aesth24 wrote:
rstahl wrote:
How so?

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UCI
UCD
I think that UCI will out perform Davis by virtue of being in an actual legal market. I could not fathom it overtaking UCLA or USC. Those schools have epic alumni bases in SoCal that UCI cannot touch.
Yes, UCI is a stronger legal market, but I don't think that's enough. Living in SoCal or Orange County specifically is highly desirable for a lot people. They probably attract a lot of T-14ers, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, etc. Then you have your other local schools, lower tier L.A. schools, etc. I don't think Orange County is lacking a labor force. Whereas with UC Davis, you hit up that Sacramento, Valley, Bay area legal market. Obviously, they compete with Bay Area schools for Bay Area jobs, but they have Sacramento (besides UOP-McGeorge). I don't imagine a lot of other people get super stoked to move to Sacramento. My original post is that I think therer will be some space in the rankings between USC and UCI. I never imagined UCI to overtake USC, but I just don't imagine it as even remotely a peer school.

I think it really depends on your goals and where you want to be. For me, I would want to work in San Diego if I stay in California. I was born here, raised here, etc. San Diegans are, in general, extremely loyal to other San Diegans. It seems like going to USD might be a better choice than UCI if, say, your target market was San Diego. I think it really depends, and as everyone has said before, the rankings become useless after a certain point.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:26 pm

rstahl wrote:
zman wrote:The word is that 2013 class from UCI bombed on the bar exam after doing very well last year with a small class.
Word from where?
UC Davis.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:23 am

[/quote]

I think that UCI will out perform Davis by virtue of being in an actual legal market. I could not fathom it overtaking UCLA or USC. Those schools have epic alumni bases in SoCal that UCI cannot touch.[/quote]

Yes, UCI is a stronger legal market, but I don't think that's enough. Living in SoCal or Orange County specifically is highly desirable for a lot people. They probably attract a lot of T-14ers, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC, etc. Then you have your other local schools, lower tier L.A. schools, etc. I don't think Orange County is lacking a labor force. Whereas with UC Davis, you hit up that Sacramento, Valley, Bay area legal market. Obviously, they compete with Bay Area schools for Bay Area jobs, but they have Sacramento (besides UOP-McGeorge). I don't imagine a lot of other people get super stoked to move to Sacramento. My original post is that I think therer will be some space in the rankings between USC and UCI. I never imagined UCI to overtake USC, but I just don't imagine it as even remotely a peer school.

I think it really depends on your goals and where you want to be. For me, I would want to work in San Diego if I stay in California. I was born here, raised here, etc. San Diegans are, in general, extremely loyal to other San Diegans. It seems like going to USD might be a better choice than UCI if, say, your target market was San Diego. I think it really depends, and as everyone has said before, the rankings become useless after a certain point.[/quote]

Please, please do not go to USD. Worse choice you can make.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rstahl

New

Post by rstahl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:04 pm

phillywc wrote:
rstahl wrote:
Word from where?
UC Davis.
Elaborate please.

Legisperitus

Bronze

Post by Legisperitus » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 pm

rstahl wrote:
phillywc wrote:
rstahl wrote:
Word from where?
UC Davis.
Elaborate please.
I think philly was joking

rstahl

New

Post by rstahl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:40 pm

I think philly was joking
Ahh. Definitely a bit of over thinking on my part.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:08 am

jarofsoup wrote:
I think that UCI will out perform Davis by virtue of being in an actual legal market. I could not fathom it overtaking UCLA or USC. Those schools have epic alumni bases in SoCal that UCI cannot touch.[/quote]

I think it really depends on your goals and where you want to be. For me, I would want to work in San Diego if I stay in California. I was born here, raised here, etc. San Diegans are, in general, extremely loyal to other San Diegans. It seems like going to USD might be a better choice than UCI if, say, your target market was San Diego. I think it really depends, and as everyone has said before, the rankings become useless after a certain point.[/quote]

Please, please do not go to USD. Worse choice you can make.[/quote]

ha. okay. Well, I would probably say don't go to UCI either. Just the solid CA 4... UCB, Stanford, UCLA, USC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Bumpin an old thread - anyone got a guess?

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:45 am

What rank did UCI debut as? Rank 30 and now its 28.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”