Dealing with negativity from people about law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Underoath

Bronze

Dealing with negativity from people about law school

Post by Underoath » Wed May 19, 2010 11:26 am

Just the other day a co worker asked me how I felt about a certain issue in the criminal justice system. I said my opinion and from that he stated that I won't make a good attorney.

I'm like WTF...I am super bothered by this because in the end the law doesn't care about what you feel on issues anyway. Apply the law! That's it.

One of my professors who has a PhD also said "Your opinion means nothing in this field."

How do you guys deal with negativity from others? Also should I say something to him?
Last edited by Underoath on Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Re: Dealing with negativity from people about law school

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 am

Your co-worker probably just disagrees with you on the issue- and that's why he said what he said.
What makes a good attorney is someone who doesn't take things personally.
Just shrug it off, I'm assuming that since you want to go to law school, you think you'd make a decent lawyer.
Don't even bring it up again, it's not worth it.
"Don't get mad, get glad!"
Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Wed May 19, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed May 19, 2010 11:30 am

Leave passive aggressive notes

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed May 19, 2010 11:30 am

You missed your snappy comeback opportunity! When he tells you you won't make a good attorney, you're supposed to say, "I'll have my day in court to prove you wrong, after six months of backbreaking labor and missing my infant son's first steps, for a public defender's $40,000 salary."

... oh, wait.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 am

dude, fuck the haters.

haters are all over the place in law. you gotta learn to tune them out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 am

Don't bother with people who are that incredibly rude.

I have similar experience with my high school students, mostly because they think being a lawyer involves yelling at people (and I'm apparently "too nice"). But...they are in high school.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 am

Underoath wrote:Just the other day a co worker asked me how I felt about a certain issue in the criminal justice system. I said my opinion and from that he stated "I won't make a good attorney."

I'm like WTF...I am super bothered by this because in the end the law doesn't care about what you feel on issues anyway. Apply the law! That's it.

One of my professors who has a PhD also said "Your opinion means nothing in this field."

How do you guys deal with negativity from others? Also should I say something to him?
Hes an idiot and doesn't know anything about criminal law. Prosecutors, etc have tons of discretion. Anyone who thinks you just "apply the law" and it doesn't care about "feelings" then you are sorely mistaken.

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Wed May 19, 2010 11:38 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Underoath wrote:Just the other day a co worker asked me how I felt about a certain issue in the criminal justice system. I said my opinion and from that he stated "I won't make a good attorney."

Hes an idiot and doesn't know anything about criminal law. Prosecutors, etc have tons of discretion. Anyone who thinks you just "apply the law" and it doesn't care about "feelings" then you are sorely mistaken.
I don't know. I asked a Judge who came to speak at our school about the death penalty. She said the same thing. "It doesn't matter what I feel. I just apply the law." Those are her exact words.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”