My Chances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kalvano

Re: My Chances

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 7:37 pm

lostjake wrote:I've been out of undergrad for 4 years, and it seems most schools want to see a resume. I've been doing professional sales, nothing earth shattering.

Would it be worth it, do you think, to have a professional resume made up, or is the resume too small a part of the application to really make a difference?

At least I'm not the english major who can't figure out how to write a resume.

LOL. That's all you got? You searched through all those posts just to find that? You're more pathetic than I thought.

And my opinion of you was pretty low, so that's saying something.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed May 19, 2010 7:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
lostjake wrote:I've been out of undergrad for 4 years, and it seems most schools want to see a resume. I've been doing professional sales, nothing earth shattering.

Would it be worth it, do you think, to have a professional resume made up, or is the resume too small a part of the application to really make a difference?

At least I'm not the english major who can't figure out how to write a resume.

LOL. That's all you got? You searched through all those posts just to find that? You're more pathetic than I thought.

And my opinion of you was pretty low, so that's saying something.

Actually, calling out an english major for not being able to write a resume is pretty funny :) Sometimes you just have to admit that an opponent landed a good shot, tip your hat, and move on.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Let me sum up this entire thread in one picture

--ImageRemoved--

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 pm

legal_eagle wrote:Let me sum up this entire thread in one picture

Are those Engineering Physics majors? :mrgreen:

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Wed May 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
legal_eagle wrote:Let me sum up this entire thread in one picture

Are those Engineering Physics majors? :mrgreen:

I googled engineering physics and thats what came up.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Sangiovese wrote:Actually, calling out an english major for not being able to write a resume is pretty funny :) Sometimes you just have to admit that an opponent landed a good shot, tip your hat, and move on.

I wrote one just fine. I was wondering whether a professional one would be worthwhile, since I don't write them for a living.

I would admit it if he had anything close to a good point, but he'd have to dig his head out his ass to even begin to find the way to one.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:22 pm

kalvano wrote:
Sangiovese wrote:Actually, calling out an english major for not being able to write a resume is pretty funny :) Sometimes you just have to admit that an opponent landed a good shot, tip your hat, and move on.

I wrote one just fine. I was wondering whether a professional one would be worthwhile, since I don't write them for a living.

I would admit it if he had. But he didn't.

Ok. Here's a copy of your shitty PS.

The old man stared at me from across the table. He would look at me for a few minutes without saying a word, and then slowly glance back down to the piece of paper before him. There his gaze would rest for a while, then back to me again. It was a war of wills, a test of endurance. We both knew that whoever spoke first would be the one to capitulate. I could see my boss standing back, looking at me and wondering what was happening. It was 9:00 at night, and he was as tired as I was. But my glances told him to back off, that I was handling this. This client had driven three hours to come see us, and it had to be finished that night so he could drive back in the morning. I had just presented him with finance numbers on the new SUV he was looking at purchasing, and he was waiting on me to get nervous, to start talking and offer him a discount to entice him further. This was a game, and having been at work since 7:45 that morning, I was more than willing to wait a little longer. Finally, after more than five minutes of dead silence, the old man looked down at the paper one last time and then looked at me and said “Well, son, everything looks fine to me. When can I pick it up?”

Telling people you work in the car business is like telling them you work for the IRS – you’re sure to elicit a reaction, although you can never be quite sure what it will be. For most people, the car business is a necessary evil, something to be endured as infrequently as possible. For those of us who make a living in it, it’s a continuous education about business, finance, psychology, sales, and marketing.

I have yet to meet anyone in the business who set out in life to become a car salesman. I know I certainly didn’t. Upon graduating with an English degree, I found job prospects to be very lacking. One of my karate instructors offered me a job in a sales position at a local dealership. I was very effective at my job, being quick on my feet and good with words. I worked my way up, going from domestic sales to luxury imports to being the manager of the Internet Department. As I gained understanding and experience, I was not just responsible for my department but often for the orientation and training of new salespeople as well.

The same skills that are essential for a lawyer are some of the very same skills that have enable me to be successful in the car business. You have to have a deep understanding of your product so you can answer a wide variety of questions. Working with people means nothing ever proceeds quite as planned, so you have to be able to think on your feet and make quick, correct decisions. You have to understand finance and banking, and be able to explain it to people who have absolutely no understanding at all. You have to be able to operate autonomously, to know and understand all aspects of the business so when you are sitting in front of a client, you can answer their questions correctly. Critical analysis skills are essential, as is being able to quickly adapt and keep working.

One of the hardest steps in my career was the transition from volume domestic sales to high-end luxury sales. Working for XYZ Motor Company requires patience and tenacity. Over 200 people a month apply for employment, and most will never even receive a phone call. It requires experience, education, and a high level of persistence to even arrange for a first interview. After two and a half months of interviews, personality and aptitude tests, and even more interviews, I had finally been accepted. It’s a very rigorous process, designed to test you from the very beginning to make sure you can handle the stress of working in a high-volume luxury car dealership. I was the youngest salesperson in the dealership, and one of the youngest in the company. The further up the ladder I climbed, however, the less satisfied I was. As the months and years rolled by, a voice began to whisper in my head, starting off quietly but growing louder and louder, insisting I was selling myself short, that I was capable of better things.

My time in the car business has been a hands-on schooling about life. I gained exceedingly practical and valuable expertise and insight across a broad area. I learned a great deal about business, finance, and successful management by being immersed in a world that required all those skills, and more, on a daily basis. I am proud of my accomplishments, and I am grateful for the time away from formal education. The study of law has always been a path I wished to pursue, and I finally feel ready to combine the practical skills I have learned with my desire to be an attorney.

As to your "professional sales", which is a retarded statement in the first place, WTF are you selling, professionals? Now that the bottom has fallen out of ITE you are looking towards law school because you couldn't sell a car if your left nut depended on it. You got a TTT LSAT and can only get into TTT law schools. Good job with you English major and selling cars for a living. Good luck in life, you'll need it. BTW, I'm still making $$$$. Hows the used car sales biz?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 11:24 pm

It's amusing how desperate you are to prove that you're better.

Normally I'd bother with some long response, but you aren't even worth the time. You're utterly pathetic, and a total waste of space and oxygen.

And apparently pissed off that an English major car salesman made more money than you.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:26 pm

kalvano wrote:It's amusing how desperate you are to prove that you're better.

Normally I'd bother with some long response, but you aren't even worth the time. You're utterly pathetic, and a total waste of space and oxygen.

And apparently pissed off that an English major car salesman made more money than you.

How are those food stamps treating you? Don't buy the good bread, those are for us who can afford it. BTW, please keep heating your house, or driving your car. You support us who went into a major which has some meaning. K? Thx.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 pm

kalvano wrote:It's amusing how desperate you are to prove that you're better.

PS. A waste of Oxygen as space would be a car salesmen to most, not those who heat your home, or allow you to drive your car. If you don't like me you can stop doing both, and maybe I'll go hungry. I hope you weren't a BMW salesman, because thats the kind of cars I drive, and I'll be willing to switch because of something trivial like this.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 11:30 pm

When you go home at night, does it burn knowing how utterly worthless you are?

You think you're insulting me, but you're not. Like I said, you're pathetic.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 pm

I give you a C- for effort, only because you typed something, not because of content.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:33 pm

lostjake wrote:I give you a C- for effort, only because you typed something, not because of content.

Shit, what am I talking about, you're an English major. A+. See, grade inflation still helps!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Like the grade inflation that got you, what was it, 2.8?

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Mmm. Sorry, 3.25. Which from my school means a job making over 60k a year. Pretty small sum compared to your cars salesman dealie. FWIW the reason you got into only TTT is because when people saw your PS they knew you were a slime ball. No one likes cars salesmen. What worth do you add to ANYTHING. If you were gone tomorrow no one would miss you, save ms Kalvano and little Kalvanos. Its sad to know :(. I really do feel bad for you.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Mr. Owner of Car place: Shit! Kalvano's dead, what are we going to do!?!?!?!?

Other sales man: Um, get someone else off the street that doesn't stink and speaks english?

Mr. Owner of Car place: Oh yeah, WTF was I thinking?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 11:44 pm

You really are amusing. Still a pathetic waste of space, but somewhat amusing.

It's obvious from your posts that you judge worth by money, so it must really bother you that I made more money my first year than you did. I mean, what with your advanced degree and all.

Keep going though, I find people like you fairly amusing.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:52 pm

So, now that the used car biz is no longer, what Kalvano, are you going to do in life after going to your TTT. Biglaw? Work for your dad lawyer in the NE. Tell us O' wise English Major.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 11:57 pm

Actually, I'll just post random Olde English insults. That's far more amusing to me than to try and pretend like you matter at all.

You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!

Henry IV.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 pm

lostjake wrote:So, now that the used car biz is no longer, what Kalvano, are you going to do in life after going to your TTT. Biglaw? Work for your dad lawyer in the NE. Tell us O' wise English Major.

Srsly, no comment to that? What are you going to do in life o wise one?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 20, 2010 12:00 am

Thou hath not so much brain as ear wax.

Troilus and Cressida.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Thu May 20, 2010 12:03 am

You're and used cars salesman and retard

Anyone about 102 IQ

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 am

Truly thou art damned, like an ill-roasted egg, all on one side.

As You Like It

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Thu May 20, 2010 12:31 am

lostjake wrote:
lostjake wrote:So, now that the used car biz is no longer, what Kalvano, are you going to do in life after going to your TTT. Biglaw? Work for your dad lawyer in the NE. Tell us O' wise English Major.

Srsly, no comment to that? What are you going to do in life o wise one?

If anyone in this thread is worthless my friend, it is you. Good luck in life, you'll need it. I'm sure your parents are proud that you're a cars salesman and need to go to law school. And I'm sure your wife is proud that you scored an awesome 165 on the LSAT and you're going to a really good law school. Keep quoting retarded statements. I'll quote Kirchhoff's current law, which states that what you put into something is what you get out. Your TTT father and TTT mother put something in, and got your TTT ass out of the deal. Good luck in life.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 am

If anything shows what an absolutely pathetic, worthless piece of shit you are, it's insulting my mother and father.

Congrats on being the biggest cocksucking piece of trash on the board.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”