My Chances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
E A Howard
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 am

Re: My Chances

Postby E A Howard » Wed May 19, 2010 2:13 am

Thats a shame because I was really looking forward to that Comp Sci double major. Apparently, no one gets into a decent LS with less then a 3.5 - an extremely high grade to maintain in an Engineering curriculum. I have a good friend at Duke who has a 3.6 in EECS, but of course he is at Duke for a reason.

Also, I don't see why I am "in the clouds" given my LSAT.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby merichard87 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:18 am

You're in the clouds because you're not understanding everything that glitters isn't gold. Just because Engineering Physics sounds good on paper doesn't make it the best choice for you in the long run. If you want to go to law school you should be doing everything in your power to have as high a GPA and LSAT as possible.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby traehekat » Wed May 19, 2010 2:19 am

E A Howard wrote:Also, I don't see why I am "in the clouds" given my LSAT.


Err... what LSAT? If your next post isn't about going out this weekend and actually enjoying your life as a young person, I don't want to hear it!

E A Howard
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 am

Re: My Chances

Postby E A Howard » Wed May 19, 2010 2:23 am

I went out last weekend and had fun. Okay? There we have it.

I said in my original post that I got a 165 on a practice LSAT, and I am still in High School. I hope to get at least 170 when I take it for real in 4 years.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:24 am

E A Howard wrote:I went out last weekend and had fun. Okay? There we have it.

I said in my original post that I got a 165 on a practice LSAT, and I am still in High School. I hope to get at least 170 when I take it for real in 4 years.


It doesn't take 4 years to go up 5 points.

E A Howard
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 am

Re: My Chances

Postby E A Howard » Wed May 19, 2010 2:37 am

I have heard that LSAT scores don't change much and I don't want to be to ambicious. What would you say is a realistic improvement to expect? Is it possible that after years of studing I could get a perfect score. I am sure that if I had 4 years, I could get a perfect SAT score.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby bk1 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:12 am

I'd say it is easier to ace the LSAT than the SAT, but I did take the SAT 4-5 years ago.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: My Chances

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 am

lostjake wrote: :roll: Giving someone advice to enroll in something that isn't a hard science is horrible. Maybe you can squeek econ into there but otherwise its a waste of 4 years and about 40k of money. I would rather have a certificate in plumbing than a degree in english.



Yes, because the only successful people in the world took hard sciences.

Did you suffer from SIDS as a child and just don't know it yet?

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 am

E A Howard wrote:I should point out as well that I will have enough free space in my schedule to dual major in Comp Sci or Poly Sci. Would you say that it would help my chances if I dual major, even if it costs me some grade points? I think its better not to because a 3.5 in Engineering is better then a 3.25 in Engineering and something else.

If you want a good school, you need to be talking about 3.9, not 3.5.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 am

Chill out.
You should be waiting three more years before you stress out about law school.

Disclaimer: My GPA would have likely been higher if I did something like that earlier on..

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 am

i call flame. students have been taking the 2400 SAT for several years now. why would you give us your score on a 1600 scale? plus, you would get a lot of merit money at tulane with such a high score.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed May 19, 2010 11:22 am

somewhatwayward wrote:i call flame. students have been taking the 2400 SAT for several years now. why would you give us your score on a 1600 scale? plus, you would get a lot of merit money at tulane with such a high score.


His Writing score is likely lower than the other two if he's not a flame.

User avatar
lostjake
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm

kalvano wrote:
lostjake wrote: :roll: Giving someone advice to enroll in something that isn't a hard science is horrible. Maybe you can squeek econ into there but otherwise its a waste of 4 years and about 40k of money. I would rather have a certificate in plumbing than a degree in english.



Yes, because the only successful people in the world took hard sciences.

Did you suffer from SIDS as a child and just don't know it yet?


Good luck at your TTT, you'll need it with those arguing skillz.

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 am

Re: My Chances

Postby thatsnotmyname » Wed May 19, 2010 3:41 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i call flame. students have been taking the 2400 SAT for several years now. why would you give us your score on a 1600 scale? plus, you would get a lot of merit money at tulane with such a high score.


Not saying that the OP might not be a flame but most of my friends and I were the second year of the 2400 test, and most of us still give the test score out of 1600. I know a lot of schools didn't take the writing section into accout the year I applied to colleges and I think many still do not take it into account or do not factor it in as heavily. A lot of students still only say what their score was out of 1600.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: My Chances

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 4:00 pm

lostjake wrote:
kalvano wrote:
lostjake wrote: :roll: Giving someone advice to enroll in something that isn't a hard science is horrible. Maybe you can squeek econ into there but otherwise its a waste of 4 years and about 40k of money. I would rather have a certificate in plumbing than a degree in english.



Yes, because the only successful people in the world took hard sciences.

Did you suffer from SIDS as a child and just don't know it yet?


Good luck at your TTT, you'll need it with those arguing skillz.



I'm sure I'll live.

If it was a statement worth arguing about instead of one of the dumbest fucking statements I've ever heard, I might bother. But it is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, so I won't.

Did I mention that it's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard? Just in case I didn't, it's one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard.
Last edited by kalvano on Wed May 19, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacktone
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby Jacktone » Wed May 19, 2010 4:01 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:i call flame. students have been taking the 2400 SAT for several years now. why would you give us your score on a 1600 scale? plus, you would get a lot of merit money at tulane with such a high score.


Not saying that the OP might not be a flame but most of my friends and I were the second year of the 2400 test, and most of us still give the test score out of 1600. I know a lot of schools didn't take the writing section into accout the year I applied to colleges and I think many still do not take it into account or do not factor it in as heavily. A lot of students still only say what their score was out of 1600.


I have siblings still in high school and know a lot of kids (100+) who have been taking the SAT over the past year. I have only heard them refer to their scores out of 2400. A lot of them do not even realize that the test used to not have a writing section.

User avatar
lostjake
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 4:47 pm

kalvano wrote:
lostjake wrote:
kalvano wrote:
lostjake wrote: :roll: Giving someone advice to enroll in something that isn't a hard science is horrible. Maybe you can squeek econ into there but otherwise its a waste of 4 years and about 40k of money. I would rather have a certificate in plumbing than a degree in english.



Yes, because the only successful people in the world took hard sciences.

Did you suffer from SIDS as a child and just don't know it yet?


Good luck at your TTT, you'll need it with those arguing skillz.



I'm sure I'll live.

If it was a statement worth arguing about instead of one of the dumbest fucking statements I've ever heard, I might bother. But it is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, so I won't.

Did I mention that it's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard? Just in case I didn't, it's one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard.


True true, you always need someone who can correct your english AND cut your grass. America is great.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: My Chances

Postby kalvano » Wed May 19, 2010 4:53 pm

lostjake wrote:True true, you always need someone who can correct your english AND cut your grass. America is great.



I'm very proud of you, you've managed to go more than 3 posts without talking about how much money you make / made. Which I made with an English degree, by the way.

If you want a real argument with real support, then don't make a ridiculous and stupid blanket remark that is both ignorant and completely untrue.

User avatar
lostjake
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby lostjake » Wed May 19, 2010 5:00 pm

I've been out of undergrad for 4 years, and it seems most schools want to see a resume. I've been doing professional sales, nothing earth shattering.

Would it be worth it, do you think, to have a professional resume made up, or is the resume too small a part of the application to really make a difference?


At least I'm not the english major who can't figure out how to write a resume.

andreea7
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby andreea7 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:15 pm

E A Howard wrote:I am a current High School Senior and future Tulane University Engineering Physics major hoping to pursue a law degree after I finish my undergrad. I scored 1500 out of 1600 on the SAT, and I have already started practicing for the LSAT (don't tell me its too early, everyone says that.) I scored 165 on a practice test, and I hope to improve by at least 5 points before I take the test.

I have to take out loans for my undergraduate education, so I need to get a large scholarship for law school - granted, if I was accepted at Harvard or Yale Law, I would take out loans to attend. Assuming I can maintain a 3.5+ in Tulane Engineering and score a 170+ on the LSAT, would I be in the running for a large scholarship at Duke/Cornell/NYU/Columbia?

I have heard that Computer Engineering is the most appreciated UG degree by law schools and Mechanical/Physics is the least appreciated of the Engineering fields. (I would prefer CE, but Tulane doesn't offer it.) Will this adversely affect my chances? Is there any chance that with a 3.75 and 172 I could get into Harvard or Yale Law?


You are getting like a four-year headstart on the LSAT and you are aiming for 172? Aim for 180 if you are going to spend high school years worrying about the LSAT.

User avatar
captainculpepper
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby captainculpepper » Wed May 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Jacktone wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:i call flame. students have been taking the 2400 SAT for several years now. why would you give us your score on a 1600 scale? plus, you would get a lot of merit money at tulane with such a high score.


Not saying that the OP might not be a flame but most of my friends and I were the second year of the 2400 test, and most of us still give the test score out of 1600. I know a lot of schools didn't take the writing section into accout the year I applied to colleges and I think many still do not take it into account or do not factor it in as heavily. A lot of students still only say what their score was out of 1600.


I have siblings still in high school and know a lot of kids (100+) who have been taking the SAT over the past year. I have only heard them refer to their scores out of 2400. A lot of them do not even realize that the test used to not have a writing section.

The writing portion of the SAT is not used by the vast majority of colleges due to little ability to really show much of anything besides if the person is a good copy editor. I was one of the people who first took the "new" SAT and if someone would ask me my score I would say it out of 1600. I suppose in certain schools and areas they would say out of 2400 but many still say out of 1600 including colleges posting stats.

User avatar
Cactus
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby Cactus » Wed May 19, 2010 6:33 pm

E A Howard wrote:I have heard that LSAT scores don't change much and I don't want to be to ambicious. What would you say is a realistic improvement to expect? Is it possible that after years of studing I could get a perfect score. I am sure that if I had 4 years, I could get a perfect SAT score.


What the hell is ambicious? I'll just assume by "to ambicious" you meant too ambitious. I think I discovered why you're not including your score from the SAT writing portion...

weejonbu
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby weejonbu » Wed May 19, 2010 6:40 pm

E A Howard wrote:I have heard that LSAT scores don't change much and I don't want to be to ambicious. What would you say is a realistic improvement to expect? Is it possible that after years of studing I could get a perfect score. I am sure that if I had 4 years, I could get a perfect SAT score.


You don't want to be too ambitious, yet you are asking about things 2-3 years down the road? Unbelievable. Anything could happen between now and when you apply to law school. They could change the LSAT and computerize it, or who knows what else... Since I was, I have to ask: were you homeschooled? Buddy, go out and enjoy your undergrad. There are tons of opportunities, places to travel, things to learn (sorta)... just make the most of today, don't worry about 3 years from now.

luckycurl84
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby luckycurl84 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:08 pm

E A Howard wrote:I am a current High School Senior and future Tulane University Engineering Physics major hoping to pursue a law degree after I finish my undergrad. I scored 1500 out of 1600 on the SAT, and I have already started practicing for the LSAT (don't tell me its too early, everyone says that.) I scored 165 on a practice test, and I hope to improve by at least 5 points before I take the test.

I have to take out loans for my undergraduate education, so I need to get a large scholarship for law school - granted, if I was accepted at Harvard or Yale Law, I would take out loans to attend. Assuming I can maintain a 3.5+ in Tulane Engineering and score a 170+ on the LSAT, would I be in the running for a large scholarship at Duke/Cornell/NYU/Columbia?

I have heard that Computer Engineering is the most appreciated UG degree by law schools and Mechanical/Physics is the least appreciated of the Engineering fields. (I would prefer CE, but Tulane doesn't offer it.) Will this adversely affect my chances? Is there any chance that with a 3.75 and 172 I could get into Harvard or Yale Law?


1. I agree with everyone else - Chill 8) Go drinking. You'll need the practice in NOLA.
2. How much in loans? Tulane is $$$ for what you get - not that it isn't an awesomely fun school. Trust me, I know. :wink:
3. Don't underestimate the competition. Small classes are nice until you realize the curve can screw you big time.
4. Engineering Physics?? Really?? You'll know a little bit of everything, but in engineering, it's probably better to specialize. Besides, if you're looking at Intellectual Property/Patent Law, I'm not sure what employers, or the Patent office, would make of your major.
5. Go to a real engineering school if you want engineering. Tulane gutted their program after Katrina. It's why I transferred. I saw my degree being devalued by the lack of cross-disciplinary engineering courses. It might not seem important, but it's why I have my job. I parlayed an EE course I took in college into my current position.

User avatar
Sangiovese
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: My Chances

Postby Sangiovese » Wed May 19, 2010 7:19 pm

The question that needs to be answered here is... do you want to go into IP law?

If you do... than an engineering physics degree may limit your marketability/job prospects as compared to one of the more mainstream engineering fields.

If you don't... then it doesn't matter. IP law is really the only place where your undergrad major makes a difference. (Possible exception of finance stuff for tax law?) If engineering physics floats your boat, then go for it. If you prefer political science, english, communications, or underwater basket weaving... then do them. The law school you apply to won't care what your major was... they will care about your GPA and LSAT. The firm that interviews you for your first job won't care what your UG major was either... they will care about your law school grades.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests