Harvard College v. Harvard Law: which has more prestige?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dabchick

Harvard College v. Harvard Law: which has more prestige?

Postby dabchick » Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 pm

I come from one of the three East Asian countries where the undergraduate degree has much more prestige/value/job prospects than graduate degrees (even if it were from the same institution). This is partly because a lot of the professional schools were part of the undergraduate institution. So a B.A. from X college is often more prestigious/respected than a M.A. or Ph.D from that same institution.

I know things are a bit different here in the U.S, with the emphasis on graduate studies and such.

But in terms of layman prestige, would an advanced degree (J.D., M.B.A., etc) have more weight than a B.A/B.S. from the same institution?

Would going to Harvard, or Duke, or any of the other T-14 law schools have equivalent or even more prestige than attending the undergraduate institution of each respective university?

I'm simply curious, and would appreciate any comments. Thx!

Joga Bonito

Re: Harvard College v. Harvard Law: which has more prestige?

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 pm

IMAO for the most part the graduate schools: the law school, the med school, the b-school, PhD's even a mpp from KSG. Everything except maybe the divinity school. Not to bash seminary students etc., its just easier to get into, in general, unless your a ph.d student.
Last edited by Joga Bonito on Tue May 18, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:47 pm

In my entirely unbiased opinion, the graduate schools.

I'm joking, but I'm also totally serious, I think the law schools are all more or equally prestigious. (this is coming form a westerner)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 18, 2010 10:48 pm

dabchick wrote:I come from one of the three East Asian countries where the undergraduate degree has much more prestige/value/job prospects than graduate degrees (even if it were from the same institution). This is partly because a lot of the professional schools were part of the undergraduate institution. So a B.A. from X college is often more prestigious/respected than a M.A. or Ph.D from that same institution.

I know things are a bit different here in the U.S, with the emphasis on graduate studies and such.

But in terms of layman prestige, would an advanced degree (J.D., M.B.A., etc) have more weight than a B.A/B.S. from the same institution?

Would going to Harvard, or Duke, or any of the other T-14 law schools have equivalent or even more prestige than attending the undergraduate institution of each respective university?

I'm simply curious, and would appreciate any comments. Thx!

I look at it this way: I would rather my pedigree have a no-name undergrad and a prestigious law school than vice versa.

Graduate prestige >>>> Undergrad prestige

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 10:56 pm

kazakhstan?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed May 19, 2010 11:44 am

Just in general, people over here look at your highest degree. So, the graduate schools.

Also, people tend to be more impressed with a PhD from pretty much anywhere than someone who just has a college degree from a high ranked undergrad.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Wed May 19, 2010 11:58 am

I really would have to go with Harvard Law. It might be one of the most prestigious schools in the country, period. I think it's much more respected in the U.S. to be have a B.A. from, say, Texas, and a J.D. from Harvard than vice versa (even though the rankings of said schools are relatively similar from UG to law school.) This, IMO, shows that the grad prestige matters more. Finally, I think many might see a Harvard College alum who got a Texas JD as experiencing a "drop-off", suggesting that Harvard College may have been too difficult for them to handle.

Disclaimer: This is in no way meant as UT trolling.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:smarter? - most grad students, easily. lol at random music major being able to hold some harvard econ phd candidate's jock intellectually

more prestigious? - i'd go with the college. unfortunately. despite what others above said, it really is the undergrad degree that counts the most with respect to lay prestige and whatever. the ivy league is an athletic conference, so it really just captures undergraduate programs.

More prestigious to educated people, grad. Though for lay prestige it is tied. Lay people just hear Harvard.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Wed May 19, 2010 12:39 pm

going to HYP is much more prestigious than simply going to HYS. going to HYP-->HYS is the only solely prestigious path.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed May 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Depends among what community.

I think Harvard College & Harvard Law are about equivalent. Average person hears "Harvard".

For other places, again, it depends what community. In the law community, we know that UVa LawSchool is actually fairly impressive, but my friend who goes there notes that when she talks to people not in the legal world, she gets blank stares and questions about why she didn't apply to the likes of Georgetown and Cornell or even UW(her in-state school) instead.

sneakersboy11

Postby sneakersboy11 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:34 pm

This reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend. He argued that Harvard Business School was far more prestigious than Harvard Law School. I personally disagreed. Thoughts?

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Wed May 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Depends on the community, but I would say HLS generally has more prestige overall compared to undergrad.

For example, Harvard engineering does not have as much prestige compared to other engineering programs,e.g. Cornell, Berkeley, or Stanford.

sneakersboy11 wrote:This reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend. He argued that Harvard Business School was far more prestigious than Harvard Law School. I personally disagreed. Thoughts?

I see HBS and HLS as equals really. Either way, it's a big name-drop.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Wed May 19, 2010 6:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Though for lay prestige it is tied. Lay people just hear Harvard.

This.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Never heard of this school

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Wed May 19, 2010 6:46 pm

joshbrenton wrote:
Matthies wrote:Never heard of this school.

It's a school in [strike]california[/strike]massachusetts. As a [strike]UC[/strike]Ivy, [strike]its pretty well known here, but I think that after they are officially ranked, a lot more people will know about them,[/strike] because in all fairness, they are looking pretty competitive.

icpb

Postby icpb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:36 pm

A lot of undergrads at Harvard want to get into Harvard Law, but end up being rejected by the T3 and and T14.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:52 pm

Hard to tell. Harvard Undergrad means you are decent at standardized tests at 17 and were a bookworm at 14.

HLS means you were good at college and are good at a standardized test.

But in the end law school is never preftsitious.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:52 pm

CHECK YO POST DATES.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”