Gaining admission after missing both seat deposits?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bshustler

Gaining admission after missing both seat deposits?

Postby bshustler » Tue May 18, 2010 10:30 pm

As the title points out, does anyone on these forums have any experience with this matter? I missed both seat deposits for baylor where I had a full-tuition scholarship because I thought I was going elsewhere. Turns out, I don't want to go "elsewhere." I emailed the admissions staff and was told my file would be returned to the admissions committees after being officially withdrawn. What do yall think my chances are of gaining admission (again) and keeping my full ride?

traehekat

Re: Gaining admission after missing both seat deposits?

Postby traehekat » Tue May 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Not a good situation. Typically when an admitted student who receives some sort of merit aid indicates they will not be attending, the scholarship is then relocated elsewhere. This happened for me at Wake Forest - I was admitted with no money, and right after the deposit deadline for scholarship recipients passed I was awarded some money (which I assume came from money that was turned down).

There is a chance you may still be able to attend, I'm sure, but a much less likely chance you will receive the same amount of merit aid, if any at all.

bshustler

Postby bshustler » Tue May 18, 2010 10:39 pm

traehekat wrote:Not a good situation. Typically when an admitted student who receives some sort of merit aid indicates they will not be attending, the scholarship is then relocated elsewhere. This happened for me at Wake Forest - I was admitted with no money, and right after the deposit deadline for scholarship recipients passed I was awarded some money (which I assume came from money that was turned down).

I called and emailed the admissions people at baylor 3 days after the second seat deposit so maybe I caught them before the admissions and scholarship committee met to reallocate the funds.

bshustler

Postby bshustler » Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 pm

Any other takers? I am in a real dilemma here. I just hope I don't have to sit out a year and reapply next cycle because I was an idiot.

vexion

Postby vexion » Wed May 19, 2010 1:04 am

You'll probably have to sit out a year and reapply.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:09 am

I doubt you get back in and doubt even more you ever see any money...this year or in the future.

bshustler

Postby bshustler » Wed May 19, 2010 1:58 am

blhoward2 wrote:I doubt you get back in and doubt even more you ever see any money...this year or in the future.

Kind of harsh, don't you think? This year, I may be screwed. Next cycle, I should be competitive again.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 pm

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:53 pm

you just saved yourself some heartache by missing those deposits...baylor is hell

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:03 pm

bshustler wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:I doubt you get back in and doubt even more you ever see any money...this year or in the future.

Kind of harsh, don't you think? This year, I may be screwed. Next cycle, I should be competitive again.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Why should they re-admit you and jeopardize their yield again after you blew them off this year? The fact that you missed both deadlines doesn't speak to your organization or ability to make decisions either.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 pm

bshustler wrote:
traehekat wrote:Not a good situation. Typically when an admitted student who receives some sort of merit aid indicates they will not be attending, the scholarship is then relocated elsewhere. This happened for me at Wake Forest - I was admitted with no money, and right after the deposit deadline for scholarship recipients passed I was awarded some money (which I assume came from money that was turned down).

I called and emailed the admissions people at baylor 3 days after the second seat deposit so maybe I caught them before the admissions and scholarship committee met to reallocate the funds.

Uh, yeah. Maybe. But why would they be motivated to not reallocate those funds? They aren't exactly wringing their hands over whether you want to attend or not.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed May 19, 2010 5:48 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
bshustler wrote:

We frown on alts here at TLS.

What happened here???? This was locked for a while. OP.... COME OUT FROM BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”