Why do you have to be a summer starter if you do ED at Mich?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatsnotmyname

Why do you have to be a summer starter if you do ED at Mich?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 am

Topic. Is there any reason at all for this? It just seems strange considering that no other school does this.

IMO, it makes applying ED to UMich less attractive for those who are considering it...

Dr. Strangelove

Re: Why do you have to be a summer starter if you do ED at Mich?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue May 18, 2010 11:21 am

Michigan tries to get 1/4 of its class to start in the summer.
Given that it's so unorthodox, the whopping majority of people would likely choose fall over summer.
Those who really want to go to Michigan are often willing to start in the summer to go and thus apply Early Decision.
Since Mich accepts ED candidates in December, they already have a certain portion of the class enrolled in the summer.

emoney8907

Postby emoney8907 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:42 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:IMO, it makes applying ED to UMich less attractive for those who are considering it...

It could also make Michigan slightly easier to get in ED due to less applicants...? I don't know, could it be true?

bradley

Postby bradley » Tue May 18, 2010 11:50 am

x
Last edited by bradley on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beamsmehome

Postby beamsmehome » Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm a Summer Starter and was asked if I would be willing to give up my summer start and switch to fall because many people wanted to switch from fall to summer. (I said no.) I also don't think this was an odd year or anything because I seem to recall reading at some point that it was harder to switch from fall to summer than vice versa. So I don't think it's because people don't want to do it.

I have no idea why the ED people are summer, though... I was RD myself.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Yeah, I also assume a lot of people get assigned to summer start because on application it asks if you want to start fall, summer or either one. I assume a lot of people who don't want to do summer say either anyway just because it increases (o rat least they think it will increase) the chance of admission.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”