Does your undergraduate major matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jonjung710
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:45 am

Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby jonjung710 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Hey guys, Im currently a media studies (similar to communication studies) at UC Berkeley. By the time i graduate, i expect at least a 3.75 gpa. Will my major negatively impact me because it is unversally known as an easy major? And I have the same question about Sociology. Is sociology also looked down upon because it is an easy major? My goal is a t-14 school and assuming that i get a good enough lsat score, will my major be the deciding factor?

Mal
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby Mal » Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 pm

jonjung710 wrote:Hey guys, Im currently a media studies (similar to communication studies) at UC Berkeley. By the time i graduate, i expect at least a 3.75 gpa. Will my major negatively impact me because it is unversally known as an easy major? And I have the same question about Sociology. Is sociology also looked down upon because it is an easy major? My goal is a t-14 school and assuming that i get a good enough lsat score, will my major be the deciding factor?


No, it won't. LSAT and UGPA are the deciding factor.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby merichard87 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Major only matters if you express an interest in patents within your application and you don't have a science background cuz you just look like an idiot. Major in whatever interests you.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:34 pm

jonjung710 wrote: Will my major negatively impact me because it is unversally known as an easy major?


No. Some people like to claim that certain majors (engineering, chemistry, physics, classics, etc. pretty much whatever that person majored in and is now all high and mighty about) are weighted better than others by adcomms. Those people are incorrect.

jonjung710
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:45 am

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby jonjung710 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 pm

oh wow! you guys are so helpful (and quick to reply :P)haha. hmmm so basically one can get a 4.0 with a major in Communications and get picked over a 3.8 philosophy major? cool beans lol

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby Tofu » Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 am

jonjung710 wrote:oh wow! you guys are so helpful (and quick to reply :P)haha. hmmm so basically one can get a 4.0 with a major in Communications and get picked over a 3.8 philosophy major? cool beans lol


engineering, physics, chem, etc. can help. it really depends on what tier, though. having a high gpa in the previously mentioned majors would help for HYS, for instance

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby chadwick218 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
jonjung710 wrote: Will my major negatively impact me because it is unversally known as an easy major?


No. Some people like to claim that certain majors (engineering, chemistry, physics, classics, etc. pretty much whatever that person majored in and is now all high and mighty about) are weighted better than others by adcomms. Those people are incorrect.


i disagree especially w/r/t prospectives majoring in engineering, chemistry, physics at T25 undergraduate schools. adcoms are are often more willing to be much more forgiving with gpa. furthermore, law firms do seem to care more about undergraduate majors and undergraduate schools than many people on this site like to believe.

jonjung710
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:45 am

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby jonjung710 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:14 am

hmmm i understand that those hard sciences and math/engineering majors certainly can be to one's advantage, but what i am asking is if majors like Communications and Media Studies will HURT your chances.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby IAFG » Tue May 18, 2010 1:15 am

jonjung710 wrote:hmmm i understand that those hard sciences and math/engineering majors certainly can be to one's advantage, but what i am asking is if majors like Communications and Media Studies will HURT your chances.

no.

jonjung710
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:45 am

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby jonjung710 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:05 am

cool thnx for the replies guys!

Weez
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby Weez » Tue May 18, 2010 11:58 am

Using the term "cool beans" will hurt your chances much more.

cuzimcoollikethat
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby cuzimcoollikethat » Tue May 18, 2010 12:06 pm

How do adcoms feel about 2 majors and a minor? I've got majors in Film Studies and Psychology with a minor in English. I often hear people say that 3 majors makes one look as if they don't know what they're interested in and they're just trying to look intelligent. But is it the same for 2 majors and a minor? Even if said person has demonstrated an interest in Film by several internships?

User avatar
Cactus
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby Cactus » Tue May 18, 2010 3:53 pm

cuzimcoollikethat wrote:How do adcoms feel about 2 majors and a minor? I've got majors in Film Studies and Psychology with a minor in English. I often hear people say that 3 majors makes one look as if they don't know what they're interested in and they're just trying to look intelligent. But is it the same for 2 majors and a minor? Even if said person has demonstrated an interest in Film by several internships?


I'm no adcom, but my best guess is that they could care less either way. If you want to major in two areas of study, go for it. I'm currently double majoring, but the choice wasn't made as an attempt to impress adcoms. It was merely a personal decision because I wanted to learn more about economics and felt the need to seek more out of my undergraduate education.

User avatar
ArthurEdens
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby ArthurEdens » Tue May 18, 2010 4:08 pm

It could be basket weaving for all they care. They only submit the GPA, not the major, for ranking purposes. It's ridiculous, but such is life.

Engineering and science majors have the advantage later, since they're the ones who can pursue patent law.

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue May 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Hard science probably helps as a tie breaker. I bet all else being equal, an adcomm would pick a 3.7 Engineering major over a 3.7 communications major. But the 3.7 comm major will almost always beat the 3.3 Engineering, even though the 3.3 is probably much harder to get than the 3.7.

jonjung710
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:45 am

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby jonjung710 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Weez wrote:Using the term "cool beans" will hurt your chances much more.


hahaha ur right. please forget that i ever said that.

and thnx guys for the help :)

jonjung710
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:45 am

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby jonjung710 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:13 pm

oh and just wondering, is there any proof that law schools don't care about your major? or is this just an obvious truth that is universally accepted? hehehe

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Does your undergraduate major matter?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue May 18, 2010 11:22 pm

I don't think it matters. None of these majors serve as prerequisites for a law school education.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests