deleted-ty for help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
h4rryp0tter

New

deleted-ty for help

Post by h4rryp0tter » Mon May 17, 2010 4:25 am

thanks guys! made my decision.
Last edited by h4rryp0tter on Mon May 17, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeff

Bronze

Re: what's better-applying earlier or a higher LSAT?

Post by yeff » Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 am

This really depends on what schools you're applying to and what the scores are.

If your improvement takes you from below to above median, such as from 169 to 170, it could make all the difference in the world. If you are above a school's 75th percentile already, you'd probably be better served with an early application.

Confidence is a huge part of the mental preparation required to achieve your best score, so if you don't feel ready, I'd wait until October. Just make sure to get your applications done and submitted by November. It's not opening bell early, but still pretty good.

Applying early helps and is important, but don't forget that your LSAT score is by far the single most important part of your application.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:11 am

You could take both, if you are happy with your June score, use it and be done. If your not, take it again in Oct.

h4rryp0tter

New

Post by h4rryp0tter » Mon May 17, 2010 9:14 am

yeff wrote:This really depends on what schools you're applying to and what the scores are.

If your improvement takes you from below to above median, such as from 169 to 170, it could make all the difference in the world. If you are above a school's 75th percentile already, you'd probably be better served with an early application.

Confidence is a huge part of the mental preparation required to achieve your best score, so if you don't feel ready, I'd wait until October. Just make sure to get your applications done and submitted by November. It's not opening bell early, but still pretty good.

Applying early helps and is important, but don't forget that your LSAT score is by far the single most important part of your application.
it would be 168/169 to a 170. and my goal would be a t20-t14 (so like #17,18,19 etc.) school. Is risking a cancellation worth having a chance to apply early?

ncct07

New

Post by ncct07 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:39 am

Have everything - and I mean everything - ready to go when that score arrives, and hit the ground running. Good luck!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:56 am

I think in your case the higher LSAT since it's not like you'll be applying after the December exam. Applying late October is still early, just be sure you have everything (like the poster above said) ready once that score comes back.

Also, why don't you take and retake? You don't need to cancel, cancelling is for people who either black out or completely choke. Chances are you'll take the exam, feel ok to pretty good walking out, then stress yourself out on the boards and convince yourself that you scored -5 from your PTs. In reality you will probably did fine. I say if you think you're ready, like will score 168/169 in June then take the test and KEEP your score, you might end up with one extra question right and get the best of both worlds. If you get it back and you didn't make your goal and you think you can through another few months of studying then retake.

How many of those high-teens schools you're looking at average scores? I would bet the majority if not all will take the highest at most requiring a menial addendum explaining that you "just weren't quite prepared" your first go around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”