When do you work out?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

When do you work out?

Morning - 5am-9am
27%
Afternoon - 12pm-4pm
18%
Night time - 6pm-before bedtime
43%
Insomnia Hour - 12-5am
3%
None of the above
8%

Total votes: 177

kalvano

Re: When do you work out?

Postby kalvano » Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 am

Pearalegal wrote:
kalvano wrote:Once I worked out, but it didn't work out.

kalvano wrote:Who wants to go to an empty gym? You can work out at home. The point of going to a gym is to stare at beautiful examples of the opposite sex (or same, if that's your thing) in very tight and revealing clothing.

Is the reason it didn't work out actually that they revoked your gym membership for being a creeper?

I've actually never been to a gym. All I know about them, I learned from watching the OC.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:10 am

Pearalegal wrote:

kalvano wrote:Who wants to go to an empty gym? You can work out at home. The point of going to a gym is to stare at beautiful examples of the opposite sex (or same, if that's your thing) in very tight and revealing clothing.

Is the reason it didn't work out actually that they revoked your gym membership for being a creeper?

This is one reason why I only work out during off-peak hours...I don't like feeling like people are looking at me when I'm running and look disgusting at the gym (even if I'm just imagining it because I'm self-conscious, which is probably the case).

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:23 am

Pearalegal wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Is the reason it didn't work out actually that they revoked your gym membership for being a creeper?

you never called

...what was I supposed to call you about?

say hi.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:55 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

This is one reason why I only work out during off-peak hours...I don't like feeling like people are looking at me when I'm running and look disgusting at the gym (even if I'm just imagining it because I'm self-conscious, which is probably the case).

i feel the saaame.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 pm

I can somewhat relate. I'm 6'0", 138 pounds. Super duper skinny dude, far from looking like the typical aspiring weight-lifting pro. I at times feel puny benching a fraction of what other gung-go gym rats are benching.
Last edited by zeth006 on Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Depends, during school its usually in the afternoon or at night depending on when I don't have class. Now that I'm on break Ive been going in the morning just to get it done early. I say morning, but Ive had a few days already where I have slept till 12, so morning/ early afternoon.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Thu May 20, 2010 10:47 pm

I hate going to the gym (often too hot and overcrowded from my experiences). Running outside later in the day is refreshing, especially at this time of year when it's light out later.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:29 am

dhg5004 wrote:who goes to the gym to scope out other people? i go and don't want to talk to anyone. like to listen to my music and not be disturbed. i don't care if you're my boyfriend or best friend...i don't wanna talk to you or look at you.

that's just me.

Haha, seconded - work out time for me is seriously anti-social. I went for a run last night with a friend and it was the FIRST TIME ever that it wasn't super stressful. I think that was only because he just fell like 5 yards behind me and let me pace him. I am jealous of people who can exercise and chat, it seems like it would be a nice way to pass the time. I guess I can deal it when I lift, just not during aerobic exercise.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 am

missvik218 wrote:Haha, seconded - work out time for me is seriously anti-social. I went for a run last night with a friend and it was the FIRST TIME ever that it wasn't super stressful. I think that was only because he just fell like 5 yards behind me and let me pace him. I am jealous of people who can exercise and chat, it seems like it would be a nice way to pass the time. I guess I can deal it when I lift, just not during aerobic exercise.

I'm kind of the same way generally, just out of respecting other people's space because I realize lots of people hate interaction in the gym. however the 530am gym goers in my apartment have sort of an unspoken code of solidarity. we don't say much to each other outside of the knowing eye contact and "oh hey" smile (occasional audible "hi"). Theres only 3 people other than myself who I have seen that early. I like it.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:08 am

i can't stand these guys/girls (some with a ton of makeup) go to the gym for the main purpose of socializing. iduno why it bothers me so much...i just can't stand people who go to the gym to just basically 'scope out' who's there.

this is why i workout at home...and ive never seen better results !!

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 am

I honestly despise gyms, i feel like people treat them more of a social/be seen place than as an actual workout facility

sometimes I wish I had a barn with a sack of rocks and huge pieces of wood so I could train rocky IV style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZA6mvMXxBQ&hd=1

chooch

Postby chooch » Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm

uwb09 wrote:I honestly despise gyms, i feel like people treat them more of a social/be seen place than as an actual workout facility

sometimes I wish I had a barn with a sack of rocks and huge pieces of wood so I could train rocky IV style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-yUK7Z75s

if brian can do it, so can you!

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm

dannybang wrote:
uwb09 wrote:I honestly despise gyms, i feel like people treat them more of a social/be seen place than as an actual workout facility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-yUK7Z75s

if brian can do it, so can you!

lol wow, the spanish dub is just so damn awkward

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Ideally, I'd like to work out right before dinner. But I find that usually dosn't happen. So it winds up being after dinner but before tv time.

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Fri May 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Right now, I wake up at 5 to run before work, and I go to the gym a couple evenings after work to some weights and stuff.

I was never a morning person either, but trying to work out in the evenings gets in the way of doing other things with friends, etc, if you do it all the time. And I would always flake out on myself and just sit in front of the TV. I originally started running in the morning to punish myself for not running the evening before when I was supposed to, and then it just became what I did...

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Ideally, I would work out between 9am and 12, and I probably will once law school starts, but I currently work out in the evening right after work. I find that working out in the late morning helps me keep my energy levels up for the rest of the day and lets me relax more in the evening, since I don't have to worry about fitting in my workout. Exercising in the early morning is ok and usually leaves me feeling pretty good, but it can be tough to do on an empty stomach, and if I am running long distances it is impossible to get hydrated enough before my run.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:42 am

jcl2 wrote:Ideally, I would work out between 9am and 12, and I probably will once law school starts, but I currently work out in the evening right after work. I find that working out in the late morning helps me keep my energy levels up for the rest of the day and lets me relax more in the evening, since I don't have to worry about fitting in my workout. Exercising in the early morning is ok and usually leaves me feeling pretty good, but it can be tough to do on an empty stomach, and if I am running long distances it is impossible to get hydrated enough before my run.

I think the bolded (in addition to my not being a morning person) are why I have trouble with the early AM workout. I don't know if it's psychological or what but I feel weak and like I don't get a good workout done if I'm doing it on an empty stomach, not to mention I tend to get light headed and fatigued much faster.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed May 26, 2010 10:57 am

when i first started working out in the morning, i would get so tired afterward, but after a couple weeks that goes away.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:24 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:The epic failure with this poll is its lack of an option that includes the hours of 4-6pm, which, consequently, is when I typically work out. Thus, you are unable to distinguish between people like me, and those who don't work out at all.

This and im out

AnthonyNicator

Postby AnthonyNicator » Wed May 26, 2010 12:02 pm

lol @ some of the response. i like to work out in the afternoon, anywhere from 2-5. have dinner/lunch after and go. its a great stress reliever and helps you stay in shape, plus if you do it right you look better naked.

...i'm just saying.....

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Wed May 26, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm in the 4-6pm category missing from the poll. (Does that make me a URM??) :mrgreen:

I actually just got a membership and started working out. I'll be going to school in the evenings this fall and I think that working out between work (sitting on my butt at a desk all day) and school (sitting on my butt all night) will give me a much needed energy boost and will probably help with stress levels too. And dropping a few pounds can't hurt.

shoop

Postby shoop » Wed May 26, 2010 1:14 pm

I work out at 6:00 am, because some of the stimulants in my pre-workout supplement stack would keep me up all night if I worked out later than 5:00 pm or so. Bonus: AM workout = 1) increased circulation and higher metabolism the rest of the day and 2) justification for eating a gigantic breakfast, both of which make for a better day in general, regardless of any need to focus/study.

tru

Postby tru » Wed May 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:58 am

shoop wrote:I work out at 6:00 am, because some of the stimulants in my pre-workout supplement stack would keep me up all night if I worked out later than 5:00 pm or so. Bonus: AM workout = 1) increased circulation and higher metabolism the rest of the day and 2) justification for eating a gigantic breakfast, both of which make for a better day in general, regardless of any need to focus/study.

What supplement do you take?

SuperFreak

Postby SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 7:46 am

Never. I should start working out. I'm 5'6 and weight 185 pounds. What should I do?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”