When do you work out?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

When do you work out?

Morning - 5am-9am
27%
Afternoon - 12pm-4pm
18%
Night time - 6pm-before bedtime
43%
Insomnia Hour - 12-5am
3%
None of the above
8%

Total votes: 177

blue5385

Re: When do you work out?

Postby blue5385 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:26 pm

For the people who work out very early in the morning (i.e., before 7 am), is this your natural preference or did you have to get yourself to adjust to it (& if so, any tips on how best to do it)? I usually work out around 10:30 or 11:00pm, but during LS I'd ideally like to get into a routine where I go around 6:30/7:00am before class (depending on when my first class of the day is). However, the times I've tried waking up early to work out, I usually end up stopping after 20 min because I'm too tired and just not a morning person...any ideas? tyia :)

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Personally, for me, I need OP to close the gaps on the hours listed. I am a 9:30ish kinda person... :wink:

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm

I wake up at 6am and go straight to the gym.
I just forced myself to do it.
I usually go to bed around 11pm and now even w/o an alarm I am up by 7am (yes, even weekends, lol).

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:Personally, for me, I need OP to close the gaps on the hours listed. I am a 9:30ish kinda person... :wink:

Just mark 9am.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:55 pm

I guess i failed at the joke. Or, you failed to realize the wink, but I think it was a little bit of both. No worries, I knew I had to adapt and chose the 9a anyway. Thanks though...

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed May 19, 2010 10:25 pm

just got back from an uncharacteristic afternoon post-work gym sesh. I feel odd.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 am

Looks like time gaps notwithstanding, a good chunk of you guys are night owls too.

One of these days, if/when I get around to it, I'll have to try waking up earlier and seeing how a morning time block works out.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 am

blue5385 wrote:For the people who work out very early in the morning (i.e., before 7 am), is this your natural preference or did you have to get yourself to adjust to it (& if so, any tips on how best to do it)? I usually work out around 10:30 or 11:00pm, but during LS I'd ideally like to get into a routine where I go around 6:30/7:00am before class (depending on when my first class of the day is). However, the times I've tried waking up early to work out, I usually end up stopping after 20 min because I'm too tired and just not a morning person...any ideas? tyia :)

You can probably adjust. Go to bed on time, set a wakeup/morning workout schedule and stick to it (even if you go to bed late the night before), and work out for the entire allotted time. If you're too tired after 20 minutes, just keep doing something to stay active in the gym, even if it's just walking on a treadmill. Your body will eventually adjust, and if you are like me, regular workouts will keep you from being tired even if you didn't get enough sleep.

The most important thing is to stick to your workout schedule. Don't ever skip a workout. If you start skipping, you lose motivation and give yourself excuses. Instead of working out knowing you "must" be there, you'll have poor workouts thinking that you had the option of staying in bed (which you will likely start doing for subsequent days).

I have to get up at 5am for work, and my body really hasn't fully adjusted after several years. It's because I don't work out currently, and there's something that seems wrong about waking up every day when it's still dark.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:16 am

I like running outside so it's either dawn or dusk since it's Africa hot down here in FL during the day. I can't force myself to become a morning person (trust me, I've tried) so I ususally go around 7:00PM. Or I'll lift at around 6:00 and then run whenever I get done.
Last edited by missvik218 on Thu May 20, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:27 am

interesting topic discussion. I workout 5x a week every morning when I wake up at 5:45 before going into work at 7:15. I workout at home so I don't have to get to a gym - i really hate going to a 'gym'. Does anyone else feel the same way? I just don't like being around a bunch of people when I workout.

I wish I could workout at night I just have zero motivation after working all day...and working out in the morning really gives me energy throughout the day...and you burn twice as many calories during the day when you workout in the morning. so i think it's the best time to workout !

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:31 am

what does this have to do with "Law School Admissions?"

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:31 am

blue5385 wrote:For the people who work out very early in the morning (i.e., before 7 am), is this your natural preference or did you have to get yourself to adjust to it (& if so, any tips on how best to do it)? I usually work out around 10:30 or 11:00pm, but during LS I'd ideally like to get into a routine where I go around 6:30/7:00am before class (depending on when my first class of the day is). However, the times I've tried waking up early to work out, I usually end up stopping after 20 min because I'm too tired and just not a morning person...any ideas? tyia :)

I always was a morning workout person...but neverrrrr as early as I do now. Before my job I'd get up at like 1030 and workout till noon. Now I am forced to wake up at 5:45 and workout....it sucks but here is how I got used to it:

- I am NOT a morning person either. I used to stay up till 3-4 am and it was normal for me. I started waking up early because I had to. If you don't give yourself the option and just make it a priority it will be much easier.

- Make it a lifestyle. If you make it a permanent routine to workout in the morning it will simply just become a part of your life. Don't even make it an option.

- If you get up 5x a week for 2 weeks straight...and you can get past the "too tired" part for all 10 workouts you will be in a routine and will find it very easy to commit to it.

But I feel you in terms of not being a morning person....I am and never will be one...but I forced myself...everyone is capable...it's just how hard you can motivate yourself to dedicate the time.

third time saying this...but don't even make it an option!!! In the words of Nike...Just do it.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 am

Rocketman11 wrote:what does this have to do with "Law School Admissions?"

lol good question. for a second i thought I was in 'off topic' forum lol

but i like the thread regardless.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu May 20, 2010 9:55 am

6 or 6:30PM. Occasionally I will get up and go in the mornings around 6ish, but I always feel rushed and so tired that I don't feel like I get a great workout in. I'll usually only do this if I am going out of town after work or immediately hitting up happy hour after work.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 am

Hydroxycut. IT not only will help with your energy level - you'll get more intense in the workout as well and push yourself - thus seeing results faster than without it.

I was not a morning person, but getting into a routine is important. I like Hydro alot, but I also make my morning routines interesting. Instead of doing 3 sets of about 10-15 different exercises, do 1 -2 sets of 15-30 different exercises and cycle them at about 1-2 min a piece one after the other. It's may keep your brain moving.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:18 am

PoliticalJunkie wrote:

Hydroxycut. IT not only will help with your energy level - you'll get more intense in the workout as well and push yourself - thus seeing results faster than without it.

I was not a morning person, but getting into a routine is important. I like Hydro alot, but I also make my morning routines interesting. Instead of doing 3 sets of about 10-15 different exercises, do 1 -2 sets of 15-30 different exercises and cycle them at about 1-2 min a piece one after the other. It's may keep your brain moving.

i do p90x and i've noticed major results....does hydroxy really work??? i want to be a bit tighter and maybe that would help....?

Saurus

Postby Saurus » Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 am

PoliticalJunkie wrote:

Along those lines of thinking, ya'll should try crossfit. The workouts are short. Sometimes as short as 10-20 minutes, but still kick your ass. I was skeptical at first as well, but after having trained for several triatholons, a marathon (which a wouldn't recommend to anybody, it just tears your body apart in a bad way), and various other fitness competitions, I've completely converted to this method of training. Here are some sample workouts that take around 10-20 minutes: 5 rounds for time of 275 lb deadlift and 10 burpees (google "burpee," it's an excellent exercise), as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 air squats, and (last but not least) 21-15-9 reps of 95 lb thrusters and pullups (again, google thuster- excellent full body lift). I actually completed that last workout in a little under 5 minutes, followed by a near puking experience. Anyways, these will whip you into shape, and don't take a ton of time (which is good for the nature of law school). Check out http://www.crossfit.com. I swear, I don't work for them, haha..

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks for all the answers guys! There's probably no way around just forcing myself to wake up early & work out - I'm sure I will adjust eventually, the same way I had to adjust from a 4am-12pm sleep schedule in college to a 12am-7am sleep schedule now. :) @PoliticalJunkie, I'm a little wary of supplements because of the potential side effects, but I agree that mixing it up is a good way to keep yourself from getting in a workout rut.

Saurus

Postby Saurus » Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 am

Who cares? I think it's nice to be in a discussion forum that involves law school, and recognizes that many our lives involve other activities. Yes, I suppose I could go to a workout forum somewhere, but it's nice to combine two (law and exercise) things that I take very seriously. Just my .02.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 am

Saurus wrote:

Who cares? I think it's nice to be in a discussion forum that involves law school, and recognizes that many our lives involve other activities. Yes, I suppose I could go to a workout forum somewhere, but it's nice to combine two (law and exercise) things that I take very seriously. Just my .02.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50308

Saurus

Postby Saurus » Thu May 20, 2010 10:46 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
Saurus wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50308

...Yes, that is also a proper forum for this type of discussion. As is this forum. Are you suggesting that the conversation be moved to that forum? It's kind of tough to tell what kind of response that was when it involves only a link. I hate it when people do that.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 am

kalvano wrote:Once I worked out, but it didn't work out.

kalvano wrote:Who wants to go to an empty gym? You can work out at home. The point of going to a gym is to stare at beautiful examples of the opposite sex (or same, if that's your thing) in very tight and revealing clothing.

Is the reason it didn't work out actually that they revoked your gym membership for being a creeper?

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:00 am

Pearalegal wrote:Is the reason it didn't work out actually that they revoked your gym membership for being a creeper?

you never called

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu May 20, 2010 11:00 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Is the reason it didn't work out actually that they revoked your gym membership for being a creeper?

you never called

...what was I supposed to call you about?

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 am

Pearalegal wrote:
kalvano wrote:Once I worked out, but it didn't work out.

kalvano wrote:Who wants to go to an empty gym? You can work out at home. The point of going to a gym is to stare at beautiful examples of the opposite sex (or same, if that's your thing) in very tight and revealing clothing.

Is the reason it didn't work out actually that they revoked your gym membership for being a creeper?

lol

who goes to the gym to scope out other people? i go and don't want to talk to anyone. like to listen to my music and not be disturbed. i don't care if you're my boyfriend or best friend...i don't wanna talk to you or look at you.

that's just me.

but i found the creeper comment hilarious.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”