Are these Kaplan Admission prep courses of any use?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TOMaHULK

Are these Kaplan Admission prep courses of any use?

Postby TOMaHULK » Sun May 16, 2010 3:51 pm

I see that Kaplan offers a course to help with LORs info, personal statements, application advice.

Has anyone taken one of these? Worth anything?

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Re: Are these Kaplan Admission prep courses of any use?

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sun May 16, 2010 4:05 pm

You're better off finding all the information you need from TLS.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sun May 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:You're better off finding all the information you need from TLS.

+100

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Sun May 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Yep, I'd have to say that other than making me feel like crap occasionally (because I'm not going to go to a top law school), the advice on this forum in pretty invaluable.

It's like "take it from my experience and not from a book written by someone whose never applied to law school before."

:o

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun May 16, 2010 6:43 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I see that Kaplan offers a course to help with LORs info, personal statements, application advice.

It is worth something... to Kaplan. I'd bet they are making at least a 20% margin.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 11:22 am

I took the Kaplan course 2 years ago, and they were pushing to give this shot a try after our LSAT scores came in. It wasn't free with the class by any chance, although it should have been included for the price...

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 am

Last edited by nygrrrl on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

set88

Postby set88 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:05 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I see that Kaplan offers a course to help with LORs info, personal statements, application advice.

I did this and I found it very useful. Of course, I've found out an equal amount of information from here, so...

I say if you have the money it absolutely can't hurt. If you are concerned about the money, just read this forum and talk to other people who have been through the process.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue May 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Kaplan's LSAT prep books suck. I used their GRE prep books. They sucked too. I don't think I'd give them another chance. I am using Planet Law School 2's self study plan. There are about $300 worth of books to buy.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Tue May 18, 2010 8:01 pm

As a general matter anything Kaplan makes sucks.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Wed May 19, 2010 4:37 am

The thing I found with their prep books is that they are designed to appeal to the masses. This means for LSAT prep they cater to students scoring 135 - 155. They spend a lot of chapters teaching basic test taking skills, which college graduates really should not need. They also have a bunch of common sense advice that they call "The Kaplan Method" or "Kaplan rule #19": stuff like "eliminate obviously wrong answers."
They waste a ton of time on this stuff, then when it comes to actual test questions, They are too cheap to use only real test questions in the books they sell at Borders. The ones they make up are just inferior. They have more than one right anwser choice or their reading comp passages are written at too low of a reading level which makes them easier than the real thing.
The books come with a disk that doesn't work on Mac computes. They also have a telephone hotline. They take about ten minutes to answer then keep you on hold for 30 minutes. They did this to me three times on two separate days.

OP, I would not trust them to return your calls or offer decent advice. You can get a range of advice on TLS, some good, some bad. The best thing to do for writing personal Statements is to review other peoples personal statements here on TLS. Read and critique 30 or so before and while writing your own. This will do wonders for your PS, it is so much better than getting professional advice.

There is not much to getting LORs. Ask someone who is nice, honest and not moronic. Be polite, helpful and thankful.

For 90% of the application you don't need help. Just answer the questions and check the appropriate boxes. Some of them are long but not difficult. They ask where you went to school and your work history. Most of it is the same as a job application. You will want to have a friend or spouse check it for spelling and grammar errors. It is no big deal. They only care about your GPA and LSAT anyway. Don't write "fuck" in the title of your PS and your numbers will determine whether or not you get in.

The best advice I can give is to apply the very first week that they accept applications. If there was one thing I would do differently I would not have waited until mid november. You put yourself at a disadvantage for admission and for scholarships if you apply with thousands of others in the late fall and winter. Get everything in order by August 1st, including LORs, two or three personal statements, requests for fee waivers and maybe so over a few applications from this years cycle. Then on August 30th or so review everything. On september 1st print out/ download the new applications. Fill them out. Have someone else look over them and submit.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 am

MURPH wrote:The thing I found with their prep books is that they are designed to appeal to the masses. This means for LSAT prep they cater to students scoring 135 - 155. They spend a lot of chapters teaching basic test taking skills, which college graduates really should not need. They also have a bunch of common sense advice that they call "The Kaplan Method" or "Kaplan rule #19": stuff like "eliminate obviously wrong answers."
They waste a ton of time on this stuff, then when it comes to actual test questions, They are too cheap to use only real test questions in the books they sell at Borders. The ones they make up are just inferior. They have more than one right anwser choice or their reading comp passages are written at too low of a reading level which makes them easier than the real thing.
The books come with a disk that doesn't work on Mac computes. They also have a telephone hotline. They take about ten minutes to answer then keep you on hold for 30 minutes. They did this to me three times on two separate days.

OP, I would not trust them to return your calls or offer decent advice. You can get a range of advice on TLS, some good, some bad. The best thing to do for writing personal Statements is to review other peoples personal statements here on TLS. Read and critique 30 or so before and while writing your own. This will do wonders for your PS, it is so much better than getting professional advice.

There is not much to getting LORs. Ask someone who is nice, honest and not moronic. Be polite, helpful and thankful.

For 90% of the application you don't need help. Just answer the questions and check the appropriate boxes. Some of them are long but not difficult. They ask where you went to school and your work history. Most of it is the same as a job application. You will want to have a friend or spouse check it for spelling and grammar errors. It is no big deal. They only care about your GPA and LSAT anyway. Don't write "fuck" in the title of your PS and your numbers will determine whether or not you get in.

The best advice I can give is to apply the very first week that they accept applications. If there was one thing I would do differently I would not have waited until mid november. You put yourself at a disadvantage for admission and for scholarships if you apply with thousands of others in the late fall and winter. Get everything in order by August 1st, including LORs, two or three personal statements, requests for fee waivers and maybe so over a few applications from this years cycle. Then on August 30th or so review everything. On september 1st print out/ download the new applications. Fill them out. Have someone else look over them and submit.

I agree with the above. I took their LSAT prep course before I took the LSAT last time and I only had a 2 point gain from my practice diagnostic.

I tried to utilize their option to retake the course or get a refund and they were no help. They told me that I had a score increase, so there goes refund. They told me if I wanted to take the course again (which I thought would be a very easy thing for them to help me out with) they told me I'd have to mail them my course work so they can look through it (WTF? What does it cost you to let me sit in a class and listen?).

Overall the teacher was a cool guy, but he talked to us as if the questions were all so easy and for us it wasn't because we were learning. Kindda matter or fact type advice, because he score like a 177.

Overall I wish I had that 2k back, as self studying seems to be helping a lot more. Although who knows, maybe Kaplan laid the ground work...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”