Examples and Explanations

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gundamz

Examples and Explanations

Postby gundamz » Sat May 15, 2010 6:16 pm

I want to buy some Examples and Explanations study books. I heard that the Civil Procedure one by Glannon is particularly good, but I am not sure if I should pick up other books from the series or if I should be looking into other books.

My 1L schedule:
Torts
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Constitution
Property
Contracts

I think there are E&E books for all of them. Please let me know your opinion of the books. Thanks.

gundamz

Re: Examples and Explanations

Postby gundamz » Sat May 15, 2010 6:37 pm

BTW, I'm kinda new here so I'm not sure if I posted in the right forum. Mods, please move my thread to another forum if you feels it belongs elsewhere.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat May 15, 2010 6:40 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gundamz

Postby gundamz » Sat May 15, 2010 6:57 pm

thesealocust wrote:pro tip: study materials are helpful as SUPPLEMENTS. They won't help you if you aren't taking the class because every professor teaches very different material. Also there are about 19386531986513 different versions of the books, some better than others, some good for some classes but not others. You won't be doing yourself any favors by trying to 'read ahead' over the summer, you won't know what to buy until you've started law school.

Slow your roll, buddy.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not planning on studying over the summer. I just want to know which books I should get for 1L for use once I actually enter 1L.

Llewellyn

Postby Llewellyn » Sat May 15, 2010 7:00 pm

The E&E for crimlaw and conlaw are kinda useless. I also though the Torts E&E was under-inspiring.

gundamz

Postby gundamz » Sun May 16, 2010 8:13 pm

Bump. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Again, I am not trying to go the gunner route. I just want to have a rough idea of what I should buy for law school for budgeting purposes, etc.

Also, I understand that the supplements do not replace the casebook. I just heard that the E&E series are good supplements, and I am wondering if this is true for all the E&E books I am looking into.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Sun May 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying any supplements until at least a few weeks into your classes. Some supplements are more useful than others depending on your teacher. Once you get a feel for your teacher's approach, you should hopefully have a better idea what supplement will be more appropriate. Personally, I think the usefulness of supplements is overblown. Listening carefully in class to what your teacher wants to hear on the exam is by far more useful than what any supplement is going to tell you imo.

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Sun May 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Wait till you get to school, find a 2L or 3L who had your professor, and ask them what to get. They can save you alot of $$$ by pointing you to the right stuff.

The most useful supplement is an outline keyed to your casebook. These are pure gold. They cover the cases you'll be talking about in class and pharse the rules the way the casebook author does (and your prof probably prefers). I had two Emanuel's that were keyed to my casebooks, and those classes went much smoother than the others. Another class followed the Contracts E&E nearly perfectly and my professor would even mention sections in the E&E for further clarification. In Civ Pro, the E&E was worthless to me. Other sections found it to be a lifesaver. Supplements are crucial to success, but the wrong ones will be flushed money.

gundamz

Postby gundamz » Sun May 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:Wait till you get to school, find a 2L or 3L who had your professor, and ask them what to get. They can save you alot of $$$ by pointing you to the right stuff.

The most useful supplement is an outline keyed to your casebook. These are pure gold. They cover the cases you'll be talking about in class and pharse the rules the way the casebook author does (and your prof probably prefers). I had two Emanuel's that were keyed to my casebooks, and those classes went much smoother than the others. Another class followed the Contracts E&E nearly perfectly and my professor would even mention sections in the E&E for further clarification. In Civ Pro, the E&E was worthless to me. Other sections found it to be a lifesaver. Supplements are crucial to success, but the wrong ones will be flushed money.

Thank you very much. I did not know that there were outlines keyed to specific casebooks. Can these outlines be purchased on Amazon, etc or do I need to buy them from a specific web site?

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 16, 2010 8:57 pm

gundamz wrote:
Thank you very much. I did not know that there were outlines keyed to specific casebooks. Can these outlines be purchased on Amazon, etc or do I need to buy them from a specific web site?

Amazon... school book store... internet in general... even the school library...

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun May 16, 2010 8:59 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
gundamz wrote:

Amazon... school book store... internet in general... even the school library...

Also, check Ebay. You can get supps that are basically new for 10-15 bucks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”