Patent Bar Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

Patent Bar Question

Postby rundoxierun » Sat May 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Just looked over my Academic summary and saw I will be graduating 4 hrs of chemistry and 23 hrs of biology [Biology Minor]. The patent bar requirements state you need 8 hrs chemistry and 24 hrs. of Biology. I'll be graduating a semester early so I could easily just take the 2 needed courses during the spring after graduation. Is there any point in sitting for the Patent Bar without a Bachelors in a science?

Also, when is the patent bar taken? Could I just take one of the needed courses during law school (may be doing a dual JD/MA environmental science program) and still sit for the patent bar?

merichard87

Re: Patent Bar Question

Postby merichard87 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:21 pm

What is your bachelors in? And why get an MA in Environmental Science and take the Patent Bar?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat May 15, 2010 2:28 pm

merichard87 wrote:What is your bachelors in? And why get an MA in Environmental Science and take the Patent Bar?

Bachelors in Economics, want the MA in environmental science(I actually think the program is environ. science and policy) because I think Im interested in resource management/land and water use law. I would just take the Patent Bar to have more options for high paying jobs in the immediate future. Im not one of those people who are really locked into a specific field right now because I know law doesnt really work like that. My true goal is to ultimately get into academia but we all know the odds there.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Don't bother with the patent bar if you don't intend to use it. And honestly, I think your chances at getting a decent patent prosecution job would be pretty slim, anyway. Not only do you not have a science or engineering degree, but your classes were in the least useful area possible. Areas like mechanical and electrical engineering, computer science and physics give good preparation with only a BS. Typically, though, firms are only looking for people with biochem backgrounds that have Master's or PhD's. I don't think, even with extra classes or an envriosci MA, you'll be prepared for biochem patent work, and I'm pretty sure firms would agree.

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Sat May 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Lots of lawstudents take the patent bar and CPA license while and/or before lawschool. Its a good way to make money if you plan to work part time on the side in school, plus makes everyone else look like newborns when applying to clinics, internships, summerjobs,etc.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:41 pm

starstruck393 wrote:Don't bother with the patent bar if you don't intend to use it. And honestly, I think your chances at getting a decent patent prosecution job would be pretty slim, anyway. Not only do you not have a science or engineering degree, but your classes were in the least useful area possible. Areas like mechanical and electrical engineering, computer science and physics give good preparation with only a BS. Typically, though, firms are only looking for people with biochem backgrounds that have Master's or PhD's. I don't think, even with extra classes or an envriosci MA, you'll be prepared for biochem patent work, and I'm pretty sure firms would agree.

+1.

You could of course go into other areas of IP with your background but the patent bar would only help with patent prosecution which I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be very marketable in.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:45 pm

lawyerhopefull wrote:Lots of lawstudents take the patent bar and CPA license while and/or before lawschool. Its a good way to make money if you plan to work part time on the side in school, plus makes everyone else look like newborns when applying to clinics, internships, summerjobs,etc.

It's only a good way to make money if you can get a job with it. I can't think of too many firms that would want someone who only has a minor in bio, even with good grades. Most of the biochem patent work out there is just so advanced that you need an MS or PhD to even understand it, let alone decently claim it .

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Sat May 15, 2010 2:49 pm

I agree with the above posters that the patent bar would be a useless feather in your cap because you won't be able to understand the inventions that are being prosecuted, and thus won't be hired.

That being said, the answer to your question is likely yes, you can sit the patent bar if you finish an extra 4 hours in chemistry and 1 hour in biology. If you want a hard confirmation, call OPM at the USPTO and they'll happily answer any questions you have.

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Sat May 15, 2010 2:50 pm

depends on it you want to use it as a Magic cure all(nothing ever is) or as a steping stone.

Honestly if you can pass the test,it takes what a day out of your life and the cost of a single academic credit to do it?(lawschool being a grand per credit)
Hell, even if that only spiced up your resume 1%, that'd be worth it. If nothing else just to help prove to non-patent people that you can do more than the sniffling kid next to you with an otherwise almost identical resume when you're first starting out.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Once again, it doesn't make sense for you to take the Patent Bar unless you want to be a Patent Agent. It won't do much in helping you become a patent attorney.

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Sat May 15, 2010 2:58 pm

yes it will if you use it to spice up your resume in the start.

I NEVER plan to do work with homeless bums(and even if I did, they'd pay what a ham sandwich)
YET I volunteer inthe free legal clinic, it looks good on a resume.

You have to think HOW it would help, not just try to "copy and paste" it into your future. Abstract thought is hard for some people, but unless you poo yourself(and ifso blame the dog) it'll be ok.

merichard87 wrote:Once again, it doesn't make sense for you to take the Patent Bar unless you want to be a Patent Agent. It won't do much in helping you become a patent attorney.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat May 15, 2010 2:59 pm

starstruck393 wrote:Don't bother with the patent bar if you don't intend to use it. And honestly, I think your chances at getting a decent patent prosecution job would be pretty slim, anyway. Not only do you not have a science or engineering degree, but your classes were in the least useful area possible. Areas like mechanical and electrical engineering, computer science and physics give good preparation with only a BS. Typically, though, firms are only looking for people with biochem backgrounds that have Master's or PhD's. I don't think, even with extra classes or an envriosci MA, you'll be prepared for biochem patent work, and I'm pretty sure firms would agree.

Thanks.. this is what I thought but wanted to make sure. Not getting that Econ/Bio double major is haunting me more everyday.. I would be spending next spring debating whether I should go with the law school or med school acceptance if I had just sucked it up and dealt with a few more classes.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:04 pm

lawyerhopefull wrote:yes it will if you use it to spice up your resume in the start.

I NEVER plan to do work with homeless bums(and even if I did, they'd pay what a ham sandwich)

You have to think HOW it would help, not just try to "copy and paste" it into your future. Abstract thought is hard for some people, but unless you poo yourself(and ifso blame the dog) it'll be ok.

merichard87 wrote:Once again, it doesn't make sense for you to take the Patent Bar unless you want to be a Patent Agent. It won't do much in helping you become a patent attorney.

I get what you're saying and its true enough but it doesn't seem like he is planning on actually being a Patent Agent. Why would a firm care that he passed a test but has never used the actual credential? And on top of that it doesn't seem like he wants to go into IP (not that there is a great chance he would get hired), so what is the point?

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sat May 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Probably no point, but theres no harm in getting it either, unless you count studying. To the OP, instead of taking those 2 extra credit hours study and pass the FE, it will be cheaper and take less time, plus if you want to do anything involved with patents it will look better on your resume than having 2 extra bio classes.

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Sat May 15, 2010 3:30 pm

You still dont seem to get my point, NEVER go into patent law. EVER,EVER,EVER, thats ok.
Just use it to look good to good the stepup over other guys applying for clinicals,internships,summerjobs,etc
Haveing the better of those will make you look better based on that and in turn get you better non-patent jobs latter.
Plus he could represent one or two peeons with patents(even if just trailor park junk) to add to the resume probono to the general idea of the freeclinic, but even better, I just say "legal intern" experience, He'd be able to say "I was the equivelent to their lawyer" Patent Bar can be taken after the BS degree, BEFORE the JD. Its even less educational requirments than a CPA.

merichard87 wrote:
lawyerhopefull wrote:yes it will if you use it to spice up your resume in the start.

I get what you're saying and its true enough but it doesn't seem like he is planning on actually being a Patent Agent. Why would a firm care that he passed a test but has never used the actual credential? And on top of that it doesn't seem like he wants to go into IP (not that there is a great chance he would get hired), so what is the point?

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:36 pm

Yea I get the point you're trying to make but I still don't think it matters. The end.

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Sat May 15, 2010 3:40 pm

you can't break up with me, I broke up with you first!!!!!!! :x :evil:

merichard87 wrote:Yea I get the point you're trying to make but I still don't think it matters. The end.

nbp

Postby nbp » Sun May 16, 2010 1:09 am

lostjake wrote:Probably no point, but theres no harm in getting it either, unless you count studying. To the OP, instead of taking those 2 extra credit hours study and pass the FE, it will be cheaper and take less time, plus if you want to do anything involved with patents it will look better on your resume than having 2 extra bio classes.

Take less time? The OP has a better chance of walking in to the Patent bar tommorow and passing than studying for a solid month and taking the FE.
Just take the classes (especially if you can take softball classes in these areas), you can raise your GPA and qualify for the patent bar, win all the way around. I do agree with the others on the use of passing it in your case though, as those are minimal hours to gain a substantive grasp of either subject. Good luck with it, either way you go.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:55 am

lawyerhopefull wrote:you can't break up with me, I broke up with you first!!!!!!! :x :evil:

merichard87 wrote:Yea I get the point you're trying to make but I still don't think it matters. The end.

lol I literally laughed out loud at that one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”