Desktop in Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
farewelltoarms

Desktop in Law School?

Postby farewelltoarms » Sat May 15, 2010 1:00 am

Sooooooooo, my laptop got stolen, which sucks mega hard. However, I have a Compaq desktop from 2002 at my house. Do you guys think I could just get by with this? The law school I'm attending says laptops are a requirement, but I just think that is them covering their bases.

Bosque

Re: Desktop in Law School?

Postby Bosque » Sat May 15, 2010 1:05 am

No. You need a laptop. Even if you handwrite your notes, you will need a laptop for exams. If you try and handwrite those, you will hate yourself.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Sat May 15, 2010 9:11 am

2002 Compaq (I thought they went out of business before that) desktop is probably pretty terrible anyway, it's time to move into the future man.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Sat May 15, 2010 9:19 am

You should be able to get a bump in your maximum loan allowance for a laptop purchase. I will be bringing my Pentium 4 desktop but just to back-up my files.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

Postby CaptainSnuggleBunny » Sat May 15, 2010 9:20 am

Also, if your last computer was purchased in 2002, you may be awfully surprised by how cheap laptops are now. Remember when you couldn't get a decent laptop for under 2k? 500-900 will get you something pretty great these days. Check out the laptop thread.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat May 15, 2010 10:09 am

farewelltoarms

Postby farewelltoarms » Sat May 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Okay, you guys keep saying I ''need'' a laptop, but you are allowed to hand write the exams write, right? To be honest, I usually prefer to hand write rather than type, even though I know how to type.

I mean honestly, I'm just scared about blowing 500 dollars and getting it stolen again, especially because most likely my roommates will be random people I don't know personally.

vexion

Postby vexion » Sat May 15, 2010 6:54 pm

farewelltoarms wrote:Okay, you guys keep saying I ''need'' a laptop, but you are allowed to hand write the exams write, right? To be honest, I usually prefer to hand write rather than type, even though I know how to type.

I mean honestly, I'm just scared about blowing 500 dollars and getting it stolen again, especially because most likely my roommates will be random people I don't know personally.

Get your own apartment, and a laptop lock.

Bert

Postby Bert » Sat May 15, 2010 6:57 pm

farewelltoarms wrote:Okay, you guys keep saying I ''need'' a laptop, but you are allowed to hand write the exams write, right? To be honest, I usually prefer to hand write rather than type, even though I know how to type.

Then buy one of those laptop locks for like 30 bucks, and you won't have to worry about your laptop being stolen. Further, you mentioned that your school "requires" a laptop, so I think you will need to buy regardless of whether you want to.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 15, 2010 7:07 pm

To help, as much as you can, to prevent this is the future do a few things:

1. password protect your laptop so if it does get stolen they have to wipe the drive or have more tech knowledge than most laptop thieves have to get your personal info.

2. Get Lojack for Laptops which allows you to track its location and if it can't be located by the cops remotely wipe your hard drive

3. Call your renters or car insurance company ask them about a computer rider. Most insurance companies sell them for a few dollars a month and cover not only getting stolen, but drops, spills, ect.

4. get one of these and keep it locked to something even in your room at home http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... lid=627063 I actually have several of these, one I keep in my backpack, one I keep at home, and one i keep at work. Just snap it in to your laptop when you get where you're going.

5. Get a Stop Plate that lets thieves know your computer is tagged. http://www.stoptheft.com/site/index.php

6. Keep your computers registration number and receipt and call support when its get stolen, they will list it as a stolen laptop and if anyone tries to call for support, they will contact the police.

7. Put stickers all over it so people won't want to steal it because its easily indefinable as yours or hard to sell with stickers all over it.

8. All ways put your backpack and laptop in the trunk where people can't see what's in your passenger compartment.

You need a laptop, once you get one and take the proper steps you can reduce the odds of it getting stolen.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat May 15, 2010 7:10 pm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat May 15, 2010 10:42 pm

You're going to hand-write 5500 or so words in perfect writing so as not to piss off your professor?

Most law school require a laptop, though.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun May 16, 2010 2:03 am

YCrevolution wrote:

At many schools (including mine), you actually do have to take the exam on a computer (your laptop).

True, but if you handwrite you get cramps, you cannot write nearly as much (even if you are a fast writer and a bad typist), you don't get spellcheck, you cannot go back and edit your responses, you have to worry about the legibility of your handwriting...

While it may be possible to do well handwriting, I personally think you would be a fool to handicap yourself that way. If you handwrite, you might not be even be able to get to all the issues in a case.

If you REALLY hate the idea of a laptop, get a $200 Netbook and bring a keyboard for exams.

Postby 06132010 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:04 am

get a netbook?

am060459

Postby am060459 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:23 am

CMDantes wrote:2002 Compaq (I thought they went out of business before that) desktop is probably pretty terrible anyway, it's time to move into the future man.

HP bougth them out.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:44 am

Matthies wrote:1. password protect your laptop so if it does get stolen they have to wipe the drive or have more tech knowledge than most laptop thieves have to get your personal info.

2. Get Lojack for Laptops which allows you to track its location and if it can't be located by the cops remotely wipe your hard drive

Your points are good but I think these two are a little overstated. I'm not even that good with computers and I could have a random laptop formatted and ready for a fresh install in like 5 minutes.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:45 am

Also, OP, if you think you don't need a laptop for law school, you have more problems than not having a laptop.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun May 16, 2010 2:59 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
Matthies wrote:1. password protect your laptop so if it does get stolen they have to wipe the drive or have more tech knowledge than most laptop thieves have to get your personal info.

Your points are good but I think these two are a little overstated. I'm not even that good with computers and I could have a random laptop formatted and ready for a fresh install in like 5 minutes.

I think he is more talking about not letting the thief have you personal info than keeping them from using the laptop with that first point.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sun May 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Bosque wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

I think he is more talking about not letting the thief have you personal info than keeping them from using the laptop with that first point.

Correct, a stolen laptop is not worth that much, enough info to get a credit card in your name is worth a lot more.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”