Best school for DC market

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PLATONiC

Best school for DC market

Postby PLATONiC » Fri May 14, 2010 9:08 pm

I've sorta learned that Michigan and UVA are peer schools through a different thread. But If I'm seriously interested in the DC market, would it be wise of me to go to UVA over Michigan?

I am not interested in NY - I refuse to live there for personal reasons. I am open to Chicago, but doesn't UVA suck at placing students in Chicago?

Why is the DC market so much more difficult to get into than NYC and Chi?

BenJ

Re: Best school for DC market

Postby BenJ » Fri May 14, 2010 10:22 pm

There are fewer positions available in the DC market, which is understandably smaller, yet there are more combined UVA+GULC graduates than NYU+Columbia graduates each year (and more GWU graduates than Fordham graduates, more American graduates than Cardozo graduates, etc.). It is true that not everyone stays in the area they study in, especially for the T14, but outside of Harvard and Yale, most students do get a job in the market(s) their school specializes in upon graduation.

Chicago also has more positions than DC (but fewer than NYC) and fewer graduates from the local schools. (Chicago and Northwestern are particularly small law schools, and there isn't much below them for the Chicago market... UIUC, I guess.)

And, yes, if you want DC, go to UVA over Michigan unless there's a major scholarship difference. UVA specializes in the DC market.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri May 14, 2010 11:00 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat May 15, 2010 10:49 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”