What were you most pissed about during the app process? RANT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
d34d9823

Re: What were you most pissed about during the app process? RANT

Postby d34d9823 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:48 pm

k
Last edited by d34d9823 on Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:49 pm

traehekat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:PT's should be online for free in PDF format.

What do you mean SHOULD be?

How dare you suggest me, a future IP lawyer, would illegally go on Isohunt.com and download all 57 pts for free.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:

How dare you suggest me, a future IP lawyer, would illegally go on Isohunt.com and download all 57 pts for free.

I would never suggest any such thing, sir. Nor would I suggest to anyone searching piratebay.org for LSAT PDF torrents, which would result in a savings of over $450.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Last edited by d34d9823 on Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 14, 2010 2:57 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I think he was actually suggesting thepiratebay.org. That is also NOT a good place to go.

Edit: scooped

RIGHT YOU AR - err...

I don't know what you are talking about.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:58 pm

isohunt indexes the pirate bay, plus other sites.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri May 14, 2010 3:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:isohunt indexes the pirate bay, plus other sites.

which is bad. Very bad.

Just helping you out there DF.

tru

Postby tru » Fri May 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri May 14, 2010 7:02 pm

First I was rather pissed that some schools in which I was over both 75th percentiles couldn't look past my misdemeanor conviction...although it was seven years ago!

Most of all I am pissed off at myself my sloppy and naive approach I intially took toward the application process. I know better now and next cycle I will make it right.

GIBilled

Postby GIBilled » Fri May 14, 2010 7:14 pm

That an English major's GPA is weighted the same as mine, Psychobiology. Absurd!

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Fri May 14, 2010 10:15 pm

That LSAC made me track down 4 foreign transcripts from study abroad because I was abroad more than a year (and believe me, getting all those was not easy or cheap), then didn't process any information beyond what was available from my regular undergrad transcript.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:21 pm

That I would have been better off going to Community College for two years (saving money in the process), getting a 4.0, then transferring to my University. Why did I work my ass off at a good/difficult college when I would have been better off going somewhere where the competition is less stiff and where my gpa would be higher?

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Lol, this post is making me really cynical.

GIBilled

Postby GIBilled » Fri May 14, 2010 11:00 pm

That I am not an African American

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 pm

hesslerj wrote:That I would have been better off going to Community College for two years (saving money in the process), getting a 4.0, then transferring to my University. Why did I work my ass off at a good/difficult college when I would have been better off going somewhere where the competition is less stiff and where my gpa would be higher?

Don't be so hasty, I got my worst grades in college from BS community college classes.

Reasons:
- The professors are terrible.
- The professors don't realize that they are terrible, a result of how terrible they are, and so grade much harder than they should.
- The abundance of disinterested morons flooding community colleges tends to jade the professors to the point where I think they really begin to hate the student body.

EDIT: To address the original question, I haven't done the whole application process yet, but I know I'm going to be bitching about how the emphasis on numbers sucks and how LSAC GPA calculation was created by evil itself.

Hopefully I won't have too much to complain about, though.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon May 17, 2010 3:54 am

hesslerj wrote:That I would have been better off going to Community College for two years (saving money in the process), getting a 4.0, then transferring to my University. Why did I work my ass off at a good/difficult college when I would have been better off going somewhere where the competition is less stiff and where my gpa would be higher?

+1/2

-1/2 because I'm ambivalent.

Yeah, it was a shitload of money (damn budget cuts...). But I learned a lot about myself and about people in general during my first two years living on-campus and even ended up meeting a lot of cool people. I don't want to knock on people attending CCs or people who left them, but I'm not so sure I would've had the same experiences going to one. The impression I get with some CC kids is they're all kind of in a bubble and unable to leave high school mode.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon May 17, 2010 3:56 am

GIBilled wrote:That I am not an African American

Yeah, not having URM status makes it easier to be bitter. The hilarious part is when people who have "URM" next to their profile on LSN claim they got into where they are because of their "special softs."

GIBilled

Postby GIBilled » Mon May 17, 2010 3:57 am

zeth006 wrote:
GIBilled wrote:That I am not an African American

Yeah, not having URM status makes it easier to be bitter. The hilarious part is when people who have "URM" next to their profile on LSN claim they got into where they are because of their "special softs."

I'm black Irish. Does that count as a URM?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon May 17, 2010 8:27 am

kittenmittons wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:Let's unleash some bullshit experiences with this app process.

I'm extremely pissed at the level of contempt law schools have for the applicants. I recently heard back from one law school after having gone complete for more than 6 months. They had said initially not to contact them for status updates because it will only hinder your progress, and that they will do their best to reach a decision asap. Well, their first deposit deadline was May 1st, and I didn't get accepted until yesterday. I wasn't happy about it either.

Waitlists. After months and months of waiting, some schools have the nerves to waitlist you some more and put this line in the letter: "You may be granted admission up to the first day of class." They expect us to put our lives on hold, burn bridges with current school, and fly across the country in 24 hour notice to attend theirs at a sticker price.

I wish law schools would stop their dishonest PR about public interest/service program bullshit. They know nobody follows through with it and their PI program office is just a phone and a monkey anyway. Who in the right mind will go to law school on a 6 figure debt and work a mid 5 figure job?

We are just GPA/LSAT numbers. This becomes more obvious and true as you go up the rankings. No debate/contest here.

Ladies and gentleman, your boalt class of 2013

Please tell me you're joking. Please.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon May 17, 2010 8:52 am

lsac's shitty website design.

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Mon May 17, 2010 8:59 am

tkgrrett wrote:
quishiclocus wrote:Six-figure debt for a mid-five-figure job doesn't sound too bad to me, after having had friends who went to $30k/year+ undergrads for four years for liberal arts just to end up unemployed or working jobs they could have had without a degree at all.

I'm frustrated by how easy it is to basically buy a better LSAT score. The whole fee waiver thing is great and all, but three whole free practice tests out of how many? I had to put my other practice tests on my credit card, which does not make me a happy camper, but I don't even know what I would have done if I didn't have that avenue available. Not to mention the Bibles, courses, tutoring, etc, that I can't even manage. It's like a pat on the head to poor applicants, make people feel like they have an even chance when they don't.

Dude, not to pick on you but.. Im quite poor (fee waiver poor) and was able to buy enough material to do well pretty easily. All you need is 10-15 Pts @ $10 or so each(Amazon has like a 4 for 3 deal usually) and the two bibles along with the free Superprep. I also bought a used mastery book that I basically never used for anything besides games.. cost me a grand total of maybe $250 and that was all new, plenty of stuff can be found used.

Agreed, not only used, but free. My local library has all 3 books of 10 PTs as well as the power score Bibles. All I paid for was 8 of the PTs you can get from amazon for $8 each to get a look at more recent tests and even those were 4 for 3 so I only had to pay a total of $48. You just gotta look around a bit.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon May 17, 2010 12:30 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:Let's unleash some bullshit experiences with this app process.

I'm extremely pissed at the level of contempt law schools have for the applicants. I recently heard back from one law school after having gone complete for more than 6 months. They had said initially not to contact them for status updates because it will only hinder your progress, and that they will do their best to reach a decision asap. Well, their first deposit deadline was May 1st, and I didn't get accepted until yesterday. I wasn't happy about it either.

Waitlists. After months and months of waiting, some schools have the nerves to waitlist you some more and put this line in the letter: "You may be granted admission up to the first day of class." They expect us to put our lives on hold, burn bridges with current school, and fly across the country in 24 hour notice to attend theirs at a sticker price.

I wish law schools would stop their dishonest PR about public interest/service program bullshit. They know nobody follows through with it and their PI program office is just a phone and a monkey anyway. Who in the right mind will go to law school on a 6 figure debt and work a mid 5 figure job?

We are just GPA/LSAT numbers. This becomes more obvious and true as you go up the rankings. No debate/contest here.

Ladies and gentleman, your boalt class of 2013
Please tell me you're joking. Please.

Ha ha. He withdrew from NYU, which is all I care about.

Also, OP... "dipshit"? Really? Either your numbers are fudged so slightly that my comment still applies (I said "appreciably" for a reason), or there's not much point in filling out those fields at all. And that's all aside from the main point, which is that your outrage is comically unwarranted. But I guess name-calling is fun.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon May 17, 2010 12:34 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:Harvard ruining my rejectionless cycle. (runs away).
haha....where did you end up?

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:

How dare you suggest me, a future IP lawyer, would [strike]illegally[/strike] go on Isohunt.com and illegally download all 57 pts for free.

Fixed

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon May 17, 2010 2:00 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:
How dare you suggest me, a future IP lawyer, would [strike]illegally[/strike] go on Isohunt.com and illegally download all 57 pts for free.
Fixed
There are two other errors in that sentence that you missed, but... good job?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”