Disclosing Medical Records.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LateNight

Disclosing Medical Records.

Postby LateNight » Fri May 14, 2010 2:30 am

Six years ago I went to a treatment center for substance abuse and depression.

Do I have to disclose this?

lawyerhopefull

Re: Disclosing Medical Records.

Postby lawyerhopefull » Fri May 14, 2010 2:39 am

if they ask, then yes, but if they only ask for "crimes" then only list crimes. What is the wording they use?

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Fri May 14, 2010 3:07 am

This is a general question. I have never been convicted of any crime.

I feel really uncomfortable mentioning my struggle with substance abuse, I have been clean for over 5 years and I don't want people judge me based upon my medical history. What Law Schools ask for medical records? I will not be applying to any school that does.

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Fri May 14, 2010 3:12 am

Its been awhile since I filled them out, but I think most ask "have you ever done a controlled substance"

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Fri May 14, 2010 3:19 am

Does putting YES disqualify you? I can't imagine there are very many people who never drank before 21 or at least tried marijuana before reaching law school.

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Fri May 14, 2010 3:24 am

There's a whole world out there that may suprise you.(not everyones a stoner/drunk in the junior high man)

That being said, its more a "disclosure" thing, to make sure if the bar finds out latter that they don't think you're a lier(they try to weed the scum out by their own lies) Or at least so the theory goes, but yeah lawschool has people with much worse than that in it, just be honest up front and thats your best way to be.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 14, 2010 3:27 am

I don't recall any applications asking about controlled substances/medical history. You might have to disclose that for insurance purposes, but that will be after you get in.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Fri May 14, 2010 3:27 am

I don't remember any law school applications asking specifically about drug use apart from criminal history . . . and I applied to almost 20 schools. Usually disclosure is always better, but in this case I would absolutely not do so unless 1) the school actually specifically asks for it, or 2) you want to make overcoming addiction part of your PS or something like that (which probably isn't a bad idea depending on your other softs). But if you'd rather not mention it at all and you have no criminal record that would suggest it, then don't say anything. Your medical records are protected private information, and I'm pretty sure C&F boards can't look at them (although I guess I could be wrong). You'll be fine not disclosing this I think.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 14, 2010 3:28 am

I don't recall a single application asking about medical records.

If you were convicted of any crimes, you'll have to disclose those, but I can't recall anything that asked you to disclose medical history.

Unless it was court-ordered, I would think that substance abuse treatment falls under patient confidentiality and not even the bar has access to that.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:31 am

Write your personal statement about how you overcame substance abuse and went on to achieve your goals. Win win

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Fri May 14, 2010 3:39 am

Drake014 wrote:Write your personal statement about how you overcame substance abuse and went on to achieve your goals. Win win

I don't think this is a good idea. Sounds very risky to talk about drug use and how I overcame it. Who gives a shit? I have done so many things in my life that stand on their own without having to say, it was even harder for me because I was addicted to drugs. My PS will stand on the things I have accomplished; managing people, getting a 4.0 at university, and helping my community. I see no need to put a giant red flag about past drug addiction, the rate of relapse is VERY high and I would not fault a school for denying me because of this risk.

As mentioned earlier, my softs are excellent without mentioning my drug use. I find no pride in what I did and neither do I think I am special because I overcame it. There are people that have overcome much worse and I am not a special flower because of getting off drugs. Getting clean is expected, not something to write about. I don't ever want to be defined by my addiction, this is why I have issues with AA where people define themselves as alcoholics and don't really try and define themselves by anything else or anything positive in their lives

Everything I have read says never to use alcoholism or drug addiction in a personal statement. I agree, but I also will not use it because I think my achievements stand on their own and anyone, recovering addiction or not, would be proud of them.

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Fri May 14, 2010 3:41 am

ok man, but if they ask don't lie. If they don't ask, do whatever you think is best.

Seriously, just don't lie, they are not above takeing your money all 3 years and then "revokating" your degree once character and fitness see you lied at the bar. It's been done.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri May 14, 2010 9:18 am

do any schools ask you if you've used a controlled substance on the app? i only applied to eight schools, and i didn't look at other apps, but i think it'd be a pretty dumb question to put on there bc it wouldn't really give them any useful information. of the truthful people who checked yes, only a small percentage of them would actually have/develop a serious substance problem, so just denying people bc they said yes would exclude tons of capable people who would be great lawyers despite the fact that they tried weed in high school. then there would be a big chunk of people who have used but checked no bc they figure there is no way for the school to find out, and it wouldn't be worth a school's admissions committee's time to sort out those who said no truthfully and those who'd said no and lied.

OP, unless it is necessary to disclose it in oder to explain WDing from school or getting really low grades or something, i would leave it out. they don't have access to your medical records unless you decide to provide them. what are your numbers, and where are you looking to apply?

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Fri May 14, 2010 9:34 am

Law schools don't ask for medical records and, in point of fact, they can't. They probably wouldn't appreciate a voluntary disclosure of it either; it raises questions if they asked over the phone or something. HIPAA is happy fun times.

So omit it entirely unless they had a specific question about substance abuse. It doesn't sound like you need to explain anything on your transcript anyway.

Now the bar, they can and will ask. Depending on the bar you might or might not have to disclose to them; some only care about last five years & such.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri May 14, 2010 9:37 am

LOL. Who the fuck asks people if they've ever done a controlled substance? Maybe if you're joining the FBI.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri May 14, 2010 9:51 am

Does the bar drug-test?

legalized

Postby legalized » Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 am

CMDantes wrote:Does the bar drug-test?

You're asking this and you intend to be a lawyer?

Are you serious?

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri May 14, 2010 10:06 am

Yeah I am asking this. How about replying with an actual answer instead of being a jackass?

I've worked for firms and government agencies and they haven't drug tested...so I was curious.

I don't do drugs and it's not a problem but it seemed strange that law firms and certain government jobs don't drug test.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 14, 2010 10:15 am

Why does it seem strange that law firms and certain government jobs don't drug test?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri May 14, 2010 10:16 am

Bert wrote:Why does it seem strange that law firms and certain government jobs don't drug test?

CUZ DRUGS R BAD LAWL!

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 am

Simply because when applying to work for places like HEB or Home Depot I had to go through drug testing, when all I would be doing was cleaning shit or pushing carts.

No, not because of some notion that drugs are bad. But thanks for contributing to the conversation Southstar.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 14, 2010 10:22 am

Bert wrote:Why does it seem strange that law firms and certain government jobs don't drug test?

and to stop being a prick and answer your question:

Law Firms: some firms drug test, others do not. It really depends on the firm, the type of work they do, etc. Most corporate law firms do not drug test because it is irrelevant to the practice of law. PS - there are tons of stories of biglaw attorneys using drugs in the office.

Government: depending on the branch of government, your position in said branch, etc., the government may drug test. I know people who work for the fed and they are required to submit to voluntary random drug tests without warning. I know of other people in other branches of government who have no such requirement.

There isn't a yes or no answer to your question though, as there are way to many factors to consider.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri May 14, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks for the response, I guess I just landed in those offices/branches that didn't drug test.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri May 14, 2010 10:34 am

CMDantes wrote:Simply because when applying to work for places like HEB or Home Depot I had to go through drug testing, when all I would be doing was cleaning shit or pushing carts.

No, not because of some notion that drugs are bad. But thanks for contributing to the conversation Southstar.

Corporate tax incentives, bro.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 am

I don't know about tax incentives, but more correctly insurance incentives -- but that can only be a partial explanation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”