Chances at your alma mater's law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pauliv

Chances at your alma mater's law school

Postby pauliv » Fri May 14, 2010 12:08 am

I go to a top 30 undergrad university with a t-14 law school and my application is slightly thin, 3.4 and practice testing in the 170-173 range. Will the fact that it is the school I currently attend and will be graduating from help, hurt, or not affect my chances of getting accepted?

Thanks for any comments

remotelyfeasible

Re: Chances at your alma mater's law school

Postby remotelyfeasible » Fri May 14, 2010 12:33 am

pauliv wrote:I go to a top 30 undergrad university with a t-14 law school and my application is slightly thin, 3.4 and practice testing in the 170-173 range. Will the fact that it is the school I currently attend and will be graduating from help, hurt, or not affect my chances of getting accepted?

Thanks for any comments

Likely a small bump, but depends on the school.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri May 14, 2010 12:44 am

Redacted.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat May 15, 2010 10:42 am

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:49 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
pauliv wrote:I go to a top 30 undergrad university with a t-14 law school and my application is slightly thin, 3.4 and practice testing in the 170-173 range. Will the fact that it is the school I currently attend and will be graduating from help, hurt, or not affect my chances of getting accepted?

Thanks for any comments

Berkeley, Cornell, Georgetown, Michigan, or Virginia?

In-state residency can help for some of the public ones. You might get a slight boost at some/most of them for being there for undergrad.

It's not quite true, especially today in California. The schools need the non-resident tuition. I know that for most UC schools, it rather hurts to be their undergrad.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat May 15, 2010 5:24 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Thanks for any comments

In-state residency can help for some of the public ones. You might get a slight boost at some/most of them for being there for undergrad.

It's not quite true, especially today in California. The schools need the non-resident tuition. I know that for most UC schools, it rather hurts to be their undergrad.

While not at a Cali school, I do not think I have had anything of a bump at my alma mater.

hoyas2010

Postby hoyas2010 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Georgetown grads get a pretty substantial boost for their law school (about 3-4 points lower on the LSAT than the average)

JonathanA157

Postby JonathanA157 » Sat May 15, 2010 6:14 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Thanks for any comments

This is true, my friend's dad works as a admissions officer at UCLA and they went easier on out of stat students just to get more money if they matriculate. I'm sure they did the same for UCLA Law.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat May 15, 2010 7:13 pm

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Sat May 15, 2010 7:49 pm

JonathanA157 wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:It's not quite true, especially today in California. The schools need the non-resident tuition. I know that for most UC schools, it rather hurts to be their undergrad.

This is true, my friend's dad works as a admissions officer at UCLA and they went easier on out of stat students just to get more money if they matriculate. I'm sure they did the same for UCLA Law.

Perhaps, but the law school has much less incentive to prefer out-of-state applicants than the undergrad does, because the difference between in- and out-of-state tuition is several times greater at the undergraduate level.

ogurty

Postby ogurty » Sun May 16, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm pretty sure that being a UCLA undergrad helped my law school application greatly. I'm far from an auto-admit, and my acceptance call came 2 weeks after I applied. It seems to me that if yield protection is a consideration, the reverse would be as well - someone who's chosen the school once would be far more likely to choose it again.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue May 18, 2010 2:19 am

ogurty wrote:I'm pretty sure that being a UCLA undergrad helped my law school application greatly. I'm far from an auto-admit, and my acceptance call came 2 weeks after I applied. It seems to me that if yield protection is a consideration, the reverse would be as well - someone who's chosen the school once would be far more likely to choose it again.

I know for sure that UCLA has stated that being a UCLA undergrad is not a factor.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue May 18, 2010 1:25 pm

I know of people who got rejected by my undergrad's law school to know that this isn't always true.. LSAT/GPA are by far the most important factors.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”