Internships and paralegal work before law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpuc

Internships and paralegal work before law school?

Postby kpuc » Thu May 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Before I apply to law school (which won't be until after I take the LSAT in October), I want to get some experience in areas of legal practice that might interest me. Mainly, right now I'm interested in practising entertainment law in Los Angeles so I want to try getting an internship or job in an entertainment law firm to see if what it's like. I go to school in New England, so I have no nearby contacts. Other than Google and talking with my career counselor, what other ways are there to look for jobs? Should I call or email for inquiries?

Duralex

Re: Internships and paralegal work before law school?

Postby Duralex » Thu May 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Cold calling is almost certain to be useless. You can try Craigslist and your school's career office, but personal networking is probably your only realistic hope. Do you know any lawyers' kids? Are your parents friends with any lawyers? Really, I don't think this is likely to happen for you this late in the game. Summer is upon us, people already have their gigs lined up. If you do try, I wouldn't limit the search to entertainment firms (one presumes that there can't be many entertainment firms in New England outside of NYC.)

It's probably easier to chase the entertainment side of that equation on short notice. Maybe you can get a summer job for a production or promotions company of some kind? Then you can offer up some platitudes about how now that you've worked in the area you appreciate the legal issues surrounding it even more.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:27 pm

1. go to vault.com top 100 firms
2. visit the sites of any and all big law firms in CA (the more the merrier)
3. the sites should have a section, usually under careers, for legal assistants/paralegals
4. send resume/cover letters according to the sites' instructions
5. send out more resumes
6. then some more
7. wait
8. ???
9. profit

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Thu May 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Was he talking about an internship in L.A.? He sounded to me like his idea is to do it back east. If he means L.A., then he should realize that paralegals are regulated in CA. You can't be hired or billed out as a paralegal without satisfying either the grandfather clause (the OP almost certainly can't) or doing certification hours. Of course, that's not always important if someone is willing to hire you as an assistant and give you paralegal work (depending on their business model and how/if they need to bill your time out.)

California Business and Professions Code, § 6450-6456

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displ ... =6450-6456
Last edited by Duralex on Thu May 13, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Oh, I don't know. I hope OP isn't just doing this for the summer, though, since firm's are typically going to want a 2 year commitment. Personally, I don't think you can fully appreciate what working in a law firm (for BigLaw at least) is like unless you're there for 1+ years.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:37 pm

OP, you might be able to find something in entertainment here:
http://www.entertainmentcareers.net/

They have separate listings for NYC/the tri-state area if you are on the East Coast.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Send resumes anywhere you might be interested in working. Email and call to follow up. No guarantees ITE - a lot of places take on paralegals/assistants almost as a form of patronage, and won't do so if they're facing job cuts.

This is considerably easier to do in international offices in Asia, Middle East, etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”