Negative Connotations of Lawyers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jacko

New

Negative Connotations of Lawyers

Post by jacko » Thu May 13, 2010 2:07 pm

Do the negative connotations associated with personal injury and divorce lawyers make anyone else seriously question their desire to enter the legal profession?

Here's an excellent example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62xreSr2 ... re=related
Last edited by jacko on Thu May 13, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Re: Negative Connotations of Lawyers

Post by JordynAsh » Thu May 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Not really, because I don't plan on being a PI or divorce attorney.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Any type of attorney is going to get the lawyer jokes. It doesn't matter what type of law you do. You have to be prepared that many people don't like lawyers. That's just the way it is and probably will always be.

And as far as Personal Injury, while I certainly wouldn't want to do it, personal injury attorney's can do good. They can also do bad. But that is true of any area of legal practice. Do you think that Big-law lawyers are saving the world. No, they are just getting paid more to push their paper.

And as far as divorce law, there is nothing more ugly and horrifically emotional than divorce law. Especially child custody law. That's not the lawyer's fault. It isn't any one's fault. It's just the result of two people fighting to the death over their children.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 2:32 pm

jacko wrote:Do the negative connotations associated with personal injury and divorce lawyers make anyone else seriously question their desire to enter the legal profession?

No. As long as people keep getting married and getting divorced and adopting and so on, I will have a job.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:37 pm

A divorce attorney I know and his client (the wife) were attacked coming out of a courthouse by the husband--who had an assault rifle. The wife was shot 15 times and died; the attorney was shot 3 times and lived, though he walks with a bit of a limp.

He got out of family law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 3:48 pm

ConMan345 wrote:A divorce attorney I know and his client (the wife) were attacked coming out of a courthouse by the husband--who had an assault rifle. The wife was shot 15 times and died; the attorney was shot 3 times and lived, though he walks with a bit of a limp.

He must have neglected to encourage his client to be reasonable in her demands. Or disclose any mentally ill behaviour he tends to display when he doesn't get his way.

Seriously, that's not normal. Something's up like the wife cheated and then he has to pay her plus pay for her lawyer. Something that would make someone snap like that!

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Thu May 13, 2010 3:54 pm

legalized wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:A divorce attorney I know and his client (the wife) were attacked coming out of a courthouse by the husband--who had an assault rifle. The wife was shot 15 times and died; the attorney was shot 3 times and lived, though he walks with a bit of a limp.

He must have neglected to encourage his client to be reasonable in her demands. Or disclose any mentally ill behaviour he tends to display when he doesn't get his way.

Seriously, that's not normal. Something's up like the wife cheated and then he has to pay her plus pay for her lawyer. Something that would make someone snap like that!
Yeah, surely it's someone else's fault the guy chose to go on a murderous rampage with an assault rifle. :roll:

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Thu May 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Negative connotations of lawyers?

--ImageRemoved--

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Thu May 13, 2010 4:00 pm

soundgardener wrote:
legalized wrote:

Yeah, surely it's someone else's fault the guy chose to go on a murderous rampage with an assault rifle. :roll:
And as an attorney, you have the incentive to find who's fault it really is, and then sue that person on behalf of the murderous rampager. I bet it has something to do with Vitamin Water.

FOR JUSTICE!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:04 pm

soundgardener wrote:
legalized wrote:

+1

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:05 pm

jacko wrote:Do the negative connotations associated with personal injury and divorce lawyers make anyone else seriously question their desire to enter the legal profession?

Lawyers, politicians, and sales persons are despised because they reflect the qualities in people that they most hate about themslves. Namely: people are childish and not able to work things out like civil adults, they're gullible, they're inconsistent flip-floppers, and they're easily led by their emotions.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:07 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
soundgardener wrote:
legalized wrote: He must have neglected to encourage his client to be reasonable in her demands. Or disclose any mentally ill behaviour he tends to display when he doesn't get his way.

+1
I think it's reasonable to say an unfair settlement could be a contributing factor in someone losing it without putting the blame on anyone but the rampager. I think that's what legalized was going for.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 4:10 pm

My business law professor a few years ago had a solo practice and he said one of the benefits was getting to choose what kind of law you want to deal with, and one of the few areas he explicitly did not do was divorce/custody issues.

It is messy, but that is part of life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:11 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
soundgardener wrote:
legalized wrote: He must have neglected to encourage his client to be reasonable in her demands. Or disclose any mentally ill behaviour he tends to display when he doesn't get his way.

+1
I think it's reasonable to say an unfair settlement could be a contributing factor in someone losing it without putting the blame on anyone but the rampager. I think that's what legalized was going for.
Lots of things are contributing factors. The question is, is it one of the key contributing factor? I doubt it. I'd say that the divorce overall and his psychological problems stemming from childhood would be the two key factors. Most guys who kill their spouses like this didn't want the divorce at all and/or are upset by child custody decisions.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 4:12 pm

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Thu May 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Why does every PI lawyer nickname himself "The Hammer".

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu May 13, 2010 4:56 pm

My dad has been an attorney for 40+ years.

He always says that people say they hate attorneys, until they need one, then they want the meanest and best one they can get.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Thu May 13, 2010 4:56 pm

RickyRoe wrote:Why does every PI lawyer nickname himself "The Hammer".
because "You want justice, and we DEMAND it."

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:36 pm

kalvano wrote:My dad has been an attorney for 40+ years.

He always says that people say they hate attorneys, until they need one, then they want the meanest and best one they can get.
Ditto.

But the hating doesn't stop there. They'll contact the best lawyer in the county and get all pissy when the hotshot lawyer warns what they'll be charging up front. It's not that much different ordering a subway sandwich with all the extras on it and double meat, then getting ticked off when the bill comes out to $9.

Seriously. I never heard about bankers getting lynched back in the day of arbitrary credit card interest hikes. Let's not even get started with accountants and Enron. It's funny how at least lawyers will tell you upfront how much they're worth.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 pm

An old lady walks into a lawyer's office.
Tells him she needs help amending her will.
He helps her and says "that'll be $100"
She opens her purse, pulls out a $100 bill and hands it to him.

As she's walking out the door he realizes that she mistakenly handed him TWO $100 bills stuck together.
So he's left with a moral dilemma.

Should he keep the extra hundred, or should he split it with his partner?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”