Do I Print out LOR Forms and Give it to Professors?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MagnumLifeStyle

Do I Print out LOR Forms and Give it to Professors?

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Thu May 13, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm on the LSAC Website. After I add a recommender, do I print out the LOR and give it to my professor, the professor writes it, then mails it to LSAC?
I'm so confused about this whole process. I would really appreciate anyone who can shed light on how the LOR process works.
Thanks!

legalized

Re: Do I Print out LOR Forms and Give it to Professors?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 12:52 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:I'm on the LSAC Website. After I add a recommender, do I print out the LOR and give it to my professor, the professor writes it, then mails it to LSAC?
I'm so confused about this whole process. I would really appreciate anyone who can shed light on how the LOR process works.
Thanks!

Print it sign it date it mail it.

Make sure to let them know it's on its way and that they must must must include it with their LOR because the LSAC can't associate it with your records if it's not included. No stapling.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu May 13, 2010 1:01 pm

legalized wrote:Print it sign it date it mail it.

hahaha, that sounds like the LSAC remix of this: Daft Punk - Technologic

MagnumLifeStyle

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Thu May 13, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks for your response legalized.

So after writing the letter of recommendation, should the professor mail it (along with the LSAC form with my L number it) to LSAC?

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu May 13, 2010 1:05 pm

If you can, make an appointment with the person so that you can hand deliver the form and answer any of their questions. Bring with you an unofficial transcript, your personal statement, any major projects from their class that they graded(to jog their memory), and be prepared to explain yourself completely.

Yes, the professor mails it. Give them an addressed, stamped envelope.

legalized

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 11:17 pm

eskimo wrote:
legalized wrote:Print it sign it date it mail it.

hahaha, that sounds like the LSAC remix of this: Daft Punk - Technologic

ROFL!

OP yes, the prof mails it. If they send it back to you to mail (or even if they send it to the LSAC) they have to sign across the seal of the envelope to provide visual proof it wasn't tampered with.

katie96

Postby katie96 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:52 pm

tagged

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Definitely give them an addressed envelope. I asked them if they wanted me to remind them closer to the "deadline" (that I made up) and they all said yes, so that way I didn't feel too stalkery reminding them.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

Here's my question: One of the professors I will be getting a letter of rec from is going to be out of the country the entire next year (on a fellowship in Hong Kong), and mailing the form won't be the easiest of tasks. Is it possible for me to print out the form, sign it, date it, and then scan it onto the computer and email it to him for him to print out? Then he can mail it to LSAC from there.

Anyone know if this is acceptable? It would probably be the easiest way to go about it. Thanks!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Cartman wrote:Here's my question: One of the professors I will be getting a letter of rec from is going to be out of the country the entire next year (on a fellowship in Hong Kong), and mailing the form won't be the easiest of tasks. Is it possible for me to print out the form, sign it, date it, and then scan it onto the computer and email it to him for him to print out? Then he can mail it to LSAC from there.

Anyone know if this is acceptable? It would probably be the easiest way to go about it. Thanks!

Yes. I did that for all my professors.

FAQ updated to reflect info in this thread, so I will lock it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131727&p=3478446#p3478446

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”