Should I send in a LOCI even if I don't have any new info?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tx1987

Should I send in a LOCI even if I don't have any new info?

Postby tx1987 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 am

Hi all-

I'm on a waitlist right now and, though I have a deposit in elsewhere, the school I'm WL'ed at is my first choice. I was just reading an article on LOCIs and it said to include new information/a new experience/new contributions, but nothing has really changed for me since I applied. Should I just send them a letter saying I am still very interested and here's why, etc.? Or would that just be annoying?

SwollenMonkey

Re: Should I send in a LOCI even if I don't have any new info?

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 am

I'm in the same position as you, and I'll be sending an LOCI. Just do it. Worry about being annoying when you are in class being grilled by the Socratic method.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Thu May 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Just sent it off and told them that I'd be interested in attending even though I have scholarship money from other schools.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm

You can always expand on yourself. Talk more about things you referenced in a PS or resume or additional essay. Or you could talk more about why you like the particular school, and what you would bring to the school. Once you start thinking about it, there are lots of things to talk about in LOCI's, which is why it helps to send one every 3-4 weeks.

tx1987

Postby tx1987 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:10 pm

starstruck393 wrote:You can always expand on yourself. Talk more about things you referenced in a PS or resume or additional essay. Or you could talk more about why you like the particular school, and what you would bring to the school. Once you start thinking about it, there are lots of things to talk about in LOCI's, which is why it helps to send one every 3-4 weeks.

Every three to four weeks? Really?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 pm

tx1987 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:You can always expand on yourself. Talk more about things you referenced in a PS or resume or additional essay. Or you could talk more about why you like the particular school, and what you would bring to the school. Once you start thinking about it, there are lots of things to talk about in LOCI's, which is why it helps to send one every 3-4 weeks.

Every three to four weeks? Really?

Do you want to be admitted? Outside of retaking the LSAT, I don't think there's a better way to get off of a WL. After profile considerations (requisite numbers, and possibly replacing someone that dropped, like a high LSAT splitter, URM, etc.), the next highest priority is finding someone that will accept and enroll. What gives a better impression of that interest, someone who has continued to keep in touch and express their interest, or someone who sent a LOCI in March or April and hasn't been heard from since? Also, a WL is largely composed of similar applicants. Wouldn't an adcomm rather have someone who's continuously demonstrated interest and likely would be excited about attending? In a sea that's largely a duopoly of splitters and applicants with both numbers around the 25th-median ranges, you need to do something to stand out.

Finally, if you do your communications right, by having adcomms get to know you, you can get them to like you. That's probably the best thing that could happen for you. Not only will you be on their mind when a spot opens, but instead of simply being an option for filling a spot, you'll become someone they want to find a spot for. They'll go to bat for you, try to make you fit. I can personally attest to this phenomenon.

Every 3-4 weeks is spaced enough to not be annoying, and if you continue to have things to say, then why not? Try to grab onto anything you can: updated transcript or resume, supplemental LOR or essay, award, interesting experience-anything-and then spend the rest of your time talking about why the school is such a good fit for you, and what you would bring to the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”