Is Large Class Size Better than Small Class Size?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which is Better?

Small Class Size
82%
Large Class Size
18%

Total votes: 28

PLATONiC

Is Large Class Size Better than Small Class Size?

Postby PLATONiC » Thu May 13, 2010 4:35 am

I noticed that on the "Go-To" Law schools, most of the T14 schools placed roughly 50% of their graduates into the NLJ250. This means that schools that have roughly 200 graduates (i.e. U Chicago, Cornell, etc.) place a significantly lower number of students into these firms than schools that have 400+ graduates such as NYU, Columbia, and Michigan.

Would it be a stretch to say that it is less competitive in a school with a large class size? Instead of there being about 90 students above median like there would be at a small school, you have almost 200 students above median in a large school. But to be competely honest, I'm a little retarded with math/statistics/and so forth, so could someone please explain to me how class size could affect employment prospects? Please don't hurt me with hurtful comments :(

bk1

Re: Is Large Class Size Better than Small Class Size?

Postby bk1 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:04 am

The more students you have, the harder it is to place more of them into jobs of which there are only so many (it is easier to find a job for 1 person than 2, for 2 people than 3, 3 than 4, etc). Since accurate employment data for recent years is hard to come by, I would assume that because the number of jobs shrank drastically due to ITE that the schools with larger class sizes are struggling to find jobs for all of their students compared to schools with smaller class sizes.

I don't think large class size is going to make it less competitive (in a numeric sense). No matter how many students there are, exactly half of them will be above median, giving every student an equal statistical chance at being above median whether there are 2 students are 2000. While class size may affect competitiveness (in a non-numeric sense), I don't think you can draw any sort of reliable relationship between the two because a school's prevailing atmosphere is going to be the dominant factor here.

PenutButterJellyTime

Postby PenutButterJellyTime » Thu May 13, 2010 6:21 am

Are large penises better than small ones?

Postby 270910 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 am

PLATONiC wrote:I noticed that on the "Go-To" Law schools, most of the T14 schools placed roughly 50% of their graduates into the NLJ250. This means that schools that have roughly 200 graduates (i.e. U Chicago, Cornell, etc.) place a significantly lower number of students into these firms than schools that have 400+ graduates such as NYU, Columbia, and Michigan.

Would it be a stretch to say that it is less competitive in a school with a large class size? Instead of there being about 90 students above median like there would be at a small school, you have almost 200 students above median in a large school. But to be competely honest, I'm a little retarded with math/statistics/and so forth, so could someone please explain to me how class size could affect employment prospects? Please don't hurt me with hurtful comments :(

This is the most flamingly unintelligent thing I have ever seen you post - and you've set the bar pretty low, believe me.

PERCENTAGES. God INVENTED them so that you could compare things even if those pesky NUMBERS happened to be different.

HURRRR MOAR BIGLAW FROM GTOWN THAN CHICAGO I MEAN AMIRITE?

Well, yes. Also... more unemployment and failure to get biglaw.

IF ONLY THE STATISTICIANS HAD PROVIDED US WITH A TOOL TO EFFECTIVELY COMPARE OUTCOMES BETWEEN INSTITUTIONS OF DIFFERENT SIZES. WHY MUST WE TOIL ALONE IN THIS COLD UNIVERSE, INCAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THE IMPLICATION OF NUMBERS DUE TO THE LIMITATIONS OF OUR STATISTICAL CAPACITIES?

WHYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu May 13, 2010 10:53 am

disco_barred wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:I noticed that on the "Go-To" Law schools, most of the T14 schools placed roughly 50% of their graduates into the NLJ250. This means that schools that have roughly 200 graduates (i.e. U Chicago, Cornell, etc.) place a significantly lower number of students into these firms than schools that have 400+ graduates such as NYU, Columbia, and Michigan.

This is the most flamingly unintelligent thing I have ever seen you post - and you've set the bar pretty low, believe me.

PERCENTAGES. God INVENTED them so that you could compare things even if those pesky NUMBERS happened to be different.

HURRRR MOAR BIGLAW FROM GTOWN THAN CHICAGO I MEAN AMIRITE?

Well, yes. Also... more unemployment and failure to get biglaw.

IF ONLY THE STATISTICIANS HAD PROVIDED US WITH A TOOL TO EFFECTIVELY COMPARE OUTCOMES BETWEEN INSTITUTIONS OF DIFFERENT SIZES. WHY MUST WE TOIL ALONE IN THIS COLD UNIVERSE, INCAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THE IMPLICATION OF NUMBERS DUE TO THE LIMITATIONS OF OUR STATISTICAL CAPACITIES?

WHYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!

You feel better about yourself after bloodying an ignorant prospective?

Postby 270910 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:55 am

miamiman wrote:You feel better about yourself after bloodying an ignorant prospective?

Much :D

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu May 13, 2010 10:56 am

disco_barred wrote:
miamiman wrote:You feel better about yourself after bloodying an ignorant prospective?

That's what we're going for here: outcomes.

Postby 270910 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 am

miamiman wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

That's what we're going for here: outcomes.

Sometimes TLS is cheap therapy ;D

Law school changes a person, maaaaaaaaan.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu May 13, 2010 11:23 am

Small Class Size >>> Large Class Size.

You're more of a commodity in the first situation and really enjoy less competition for the same jobs. Vandy comes to mind.

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Thu May 13, 2010 11:43 am

Duke also comes to mind here. They place their students exceptionally well into NYC and DC Biglaw; and because of the small class size, students do not compete against each other for jobs.

Postby 270910 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:01 pm

paralegal wrote:Duke also comes to mind here. They place their students exceptionally well into NYC and DC Biglaw; and because of the small class size, students do not compete against each other for jobs.

*face palm*

PSA: Smaller schools have FEWER ALUMNI and firms take FEWER STUDENTS when they hire. It all balances out. That's why when ranked from 1 to 14 the top schools do not obviously bias for or against big, large, or medium schools.

The T14:

YHS: small - huge - small

CCN: big - small - big

MVPB: big - big - small - small

DCNG: small - small - medium - huge

Looking at clerkships, vault firm placement, or government placement there is not perceptible difference that can be attributed to class size.

akj;lGFDAkjgahsflj;g

Plus, when it comes to getting hired, the most important factor is your class rank.

PSA: For every Duke student in the top 10% of their class there are THREE HLS students in the top 10% of their class.

It all balances out. The percentages are all alarmingly the same.

Go ahead, point to the big/small bias. I'd love to see it: http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”