Need advice...Fulbright+LSAT retake question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fsugirl824

Need advice...Fulbright+LSAT retake question

Postby fsugirl824 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:28 am

Hello!

I took the LSAT last September and got a 160. I also received a Fulbright grant, so I will be away for the 2010-2011 year and will be applying for law schools this fall for the fall of 2011. I really want to make it into a T-14 (or UCLA which is 15). I'm registered to retake the LSAT in June, but I'm not getting anywhere near a 170 yet.

Should I postpone to October? Do you think its possible to go up 7-10 points in three weeks?

If I do this, I'd have to register to take it out of the country. Is that easy to do?

Or would I benefit more by submitting my applications really early even with a lower score?

And...I've heard the June LSAT is usually easier. Is there any truth to that?

I'd appreciate any honest advice!

Muckduck

Re: Need advice...Fulbright+LSAT retake question

Postby Muckduck » Thu May 13, 2010 12:31 am

T-14 is unlikely with 160, no matter how early you apply. Unless you are URM?

fsugirl824

Postby fsugirl824 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:32 am

I'm not a URM.

I do think I could get it up to a 165 or 167, but I haven't had a test to prove that yet.

madcherrylimas

Postby madcherrylimas » Thu May 13, 2010 2:58 am

doesn't really matter if the June test is easier or not, it's a curved scoring system.

registering to take it abroad is pretty much the same as registering to take it at home. I took it twice as well, in Beijing and once in So Cal, and it was pretty much done all the same as well.

It's possible to go up 7 to 10 points in three weeks, but to be consistent? I'm not sure. I think I went up 8 points the first few weeks when I started taking an LSAT prep class.. after two months, I took it again and scored 14 points better than on the Beijing LSAT. I was scoring up to 16 points higher on practice tests the last week.. I still wish I had practiced reading comp more.. I choked on that section test day.. well, I still broke 170 though. I would say give yourself that two months to study at a little bit, and save the last two three weeks to study a lot.. I think it needs to be built up over time for it to come naturally.

The one thing I found difficult about taking the LSAT in China was I couldn't find a prep class. It is so hard to make yourself slog through practice questions alone..

fsugirl824

Postby fsugirl824 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Congrats on breaking 170!

I'm need to decide by tomorrow if I'm going to postpone or not...eek!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”