Can I make this phone call? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fakemoney

Bronze

Can I make this phone call?

Post by fakemoney » Wed May 12, 2010 10:57 pm

:arrow:

I recently sent out seat deposit "N" to school "X," but am expecting a decision from school "Y" in the coming days. If school "Y" doesn't get back to me soon, I risk losing seat deposit "N" if I do decide to opt out. Do you think I would irritate or antagonize school "Y" if I nicely asked them to notify me of their decision, if at all possible, by email rather than snailmail? (In a better world, while I was at it, I could prevail upon them the need to expedite their deliberations as well!!!) In the view of TLS posters, can I make this call to school "Y" without disgracing myself and damaging my prospects? Anyone hear of or have experience with a scenario like this? Come on guys, there are like two-hundred bucks on the line!!!!

Postscript: I wish school "Z" hadn't rejected me.

Bert

Bronze

Re: Can I make this phone call?

Post by Bert » Wed May 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Why would you want to go to TTT Z anyway?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 pm

Yeah, you can ask (they obv won't reject you for asking), and they may do it, but realistically I wouldn't bank on it. I've made numerous requests like this one, and schools just don't like altering their system for one person.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Wed May 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Bert wrote:Why would you want to go to TTT Z anyway?
Because People's College of Law rejects the caste system of LSAT's and whatnot!

whoops.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Wed May 12, 2010 11:08 pm

flcath wrote:Yeah, you can ask (they obv won't reject you for asking), and they may do it, but realistically I wouldn't bank on it. I've made numerous requests like this one, and schools just don't like altering their system for one person.

The weird thing is, I looked on LSN and in threads on here, and there doesn't seem to be a uniform system. Some people claim to have been notified via snailmail, others by email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed May 12, 2010 11:08 pm

fakemoney wrote:
flcath wrote:Yeah, you can ask (they obv won't reject you for asking), and they may do it, but realistically I wouldn't bank on it. I've made numerous requests like this one, and schools just don't like altering their system for one person.

The weird thing is, I looked on LSN and in threads on here, and there doesn't seem to be a uniform system. Some people claim to have been notified via snailmail, others by email.
Just out of curiosity, are you talking about Cornell?

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Wed May 12, 2010 11:10 pm

No

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed May 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Oh. It seems like Cornell is usually involved in these types of last minute things.

Wait, so this seat deposit was refundable? That's weird. Btw, that (the seat deposit) is usually the easier half of the equation to postpone; even schools that say their deadline is non-negotiable are lying.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Wed May 12, 2010 11:19 pm

flcath wrote:Oh. It seems like Cornell is usually involved in these types of last minute things.
I know man. That's why I didn't apply there. I'm not an "on the razor's edge" kind of guy, which makes my current predicament all the more frustrating.
flcath wrote:Wait, so this seat deposit was refundable? That's weird. Btw, that (the seat deposit) is usually the easier half of the equation to postpone; even schools that say their deadline is non-negotiable are lying.
Yeah, it's fully refundable if you withdraw within so many business days, then it's a sliding scale where you can recover various increments of the original deposit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Thu May 13, 2010 12:06 am

no reason not to request the email. can you make up some excuse how you might not have access to your mail? (possible travel plans?)

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Thu May 13, 2010 12:44 am

^My thoughts exactly, haha.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Fri May 14, 2010 11:20 am

I wound up making the call

Got a yeahno answer.

Oh well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”