Long term advice needed

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Xptboy

Long term advice needed

Postby Xptboy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey guys,

I've just finished my Freshman year of college and have chosen my major. I came in as undecided, at first I decided to go with mass communications thinking about getting into journalism, but after taking one course I decided that it wasn't for me/was too simple, and honestly the intro teacher sucked (He also had a job as a radio broadcaster). After a while I decided to pick Philosophy because I am very interested in ethics, logical argumentation, critical thinking etc. I have also been lurking around these forums for a while and after reading countless threads/posts. I've also read around five books discussing lawyers, law school and their lives/jobs. I've concluded that despite all the job dissatisfaction and discouragement presented to prospective law students in this forum and elsewhere, the law and its study is very luring to me so as of now it does seem to be my most realistic career path.

I know that everyone will say that right now, all I must focus on is making sure I get the best GPA I can (Currently 3.79). But surely, there must be some things that could do to indirectly help me in law school apps.

Anyways, I decided that I would do these things in my free time, since I not only find them fun or am interested in this, but also think they could help me with the LSAT or in law school... or in anything tbh.

- Get used to Sudoku and other logic puzzles, master them
- Read more non-fiction books, especially ones that debate issues
- Take logic courses (for Philosophy major and LSAT)
- Take maths courses (for maths, logical reasoning and economics... I just think math is really useful)
- Take rhetoric courses (for Philosophy major and LSAT)
- Take Economics courses (for my economics minor)
- Take Urban Studies courses (for my urban studies minor)

What do you guys think about my brief outline for the next two or three years? Any suggestions?

I just want to get confirmation that this isn't a horrible plan so that I can step away from this site and not come back until junior year when I'm gonna start looking at applications and the LSAT.

quishiclocus

Re: Long term advice needed

Postby quishiclocus » Wed May 12, 2010 9:47 pm

Sudoku is going to be less useful than grid-format logic problems. Better yet, the ones that come in the books full of grid-format problems that don't have grids.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:48 pm

I think its a pretty solid plan. Just don't take on too much and let your GPA drop.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Wed May 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Major in Business + something else you want to do. Do as well as possible. Study a ton for the LSAT if you still want to go towards the end of college and do as well as possible.

phase 3...profit

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Wed May 12, 2010 10:00 pm

GordonBombay wrote:Major in Business + something else you want to do. Do as well as possible. Study a ton for the LSAT if you still want to go towards the end of college and do as well as possible.

phase 3...profit

I say stick with Philosophy. Grades are more subjective than in Business (most Business tests are curved - could be good for some but not all, esp. since everyone objectively gets at least 80% on those tests, right?), which means you can boost by being teacher's pet/going to office hours. Also, all the reading of boring things can't hurt, can it? ...and OP likes philosophy, right?

Although my advice is all hindsight, since I made the mistake of listening to all of my UG academic "advisors" who said "just major in something that challenges and interests you"...OP is already on his/her way to success, just by planning ahead. Good for you, OP. Wish you the best!

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Wed May 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me, and I envy your foresight.

I'd like to echo an above poster warning you against taking on too much. I think you should stick with easy classes, ones that will ensure a GPA above a 3.7 or 3.8. Math classes don't seem too useful for the LSAT and I think they are most dangerous to your GPA. Anything you can learn for the LSAT from a math class I think you can learn from doing sudoku and other logic puzzles. The logic courses will help you tremendously.

Good luck man.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Wed May 12, 2010 10:15 pm

Xptboy wrote:Hey guys,

I've just finished my Freshman year of college .... so.... I can step away from this site and not come back until junior year when I'm gonna start looking at applications and the LSAT.

You have a great plan, stick with learning things that you enjoy learning. Don't go and take classes simply for the reason that they may vaguely help you on the LSAT, take them because they are interesting to you (and only incidentally have vague connections to the LSAT). Get good grades. I quoted the next best part of your post. Really, this forum will make you neurotic in the extreme.

yeff

Postby yeff » Wed May 12, 2010 11:53 pm

I don't think there's too much correlation between taking tangentially related courses and succeeding on the LSAT. To master the LSAT, study the LSAT when the time comes. Before that, read. Philosophy is good.

Otherwise, keep your grades up. To do this, study things that excite and interest you. My worst grade in college was in Spanish 101, not an objectively difficult class.

Get involved at your school. Quality over quantity in your softs, IMO. Be a leader.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 12, 2010 11:56 pm

My suggestion: Enjoy the next two years of your life. Keep that GPA high, do fun but resume-building extracurriculars, and enjoy everything. You'll have plenty of time to apply to and go to law school. Enjoy your college years!

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu May 13, 2010 1:14 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”