Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby Kretzy » Wed May 12, 2010 8:11 pm

yeff wrote:I would say you pwned him, except that Justice White went to Yale.

Still, comparing schools like CU and CU on SCOTUS is really dumb. Hell, comparing Yale and Harvard on SCOTUS would be dumb.


You're absolutely right. :oops: White is such a fixture here in CO, that I assumed (very incorrectly) that he went to CU Law in addition to CU undergrad. My apologies, "GWUorbust." Sincerely.

In fact, I believe Ginsburg went to Cornell UG. Both have produced a justice (and in Cornell's case, probably more than 1).

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby the lantern » Wed May 12, 2010 8:39 pm

Kretzy wrote:
yeff wrote:I would say you pwned him, except that Justice White went to Yale.

Still, comparing schools like CU and CU on SCOTUS is really dumb. Hell, comparing Yale and Harvard on SCOTUS would be dumb.


You're absolutely right. :oops: White is such a fixture here in CO, that I assumed (very incorrectly) that he went to CU Law in addition to CU undergrad. My apologies, "GWUorbust." Sincerely.

In fact, I believe Ginsburg went to Cornell UG. Both have produced a justice (and in Cornell's case, probably more than 1).


ginsburg = columbia iirc

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Wed May 12, 2010 9:33 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
rad law wrote:
legalized wrote:Rad law: where ARE the Cornell students? What's happening to them, where have they been going in this economy?


Not sure, other than that a lot of Cornell kids wanted New York big law and didn't get it ITE. I know a lot more about ATL and FL markets, where Cornell isn't very represented.



If Cornell kid wanted Atlanta could they get it?

New York seems to me an extremely oversaturated market. Just without even researching I can tell that every school north of the Carolinas feeds (or tries to feed) into there. I don't think I would even look at NYC biglaw if I wasn't at a T5. Not at this economic time anyway.

So GSU even with a full ride doesn't make sense.

CU with a full ride makes sense if sticking to colorado is fine...and with the denver firms having trouble with their minority recruitment/retention into biglaw. (that's from another thread)

Cornell makes sense if not going to NYC to compete.

Or that seems to be the preliminary look of things?


Cornell makes just as much sense as CU even if you are going to compete in NYC. NYC is the largest legal market in the world. Compared to your other choices Cornell is doing perfectly fine in this economic time. And dont consider minority recruitment in a specific city when making a decision between these schools. U might as well be considering the chances of you becoming a supreme court justice from these schools. Im in Boulder/Denver fairly often (gf's family lives there) and yes there are no blacks, few asians, but quite a few hispanics. With that said, what you are talking about is considering something that is a needle in a haystack to be a significant part of a decision.


Ah but the URM pool at a school is NOT insignificant. Pufer gave some info on opportunities for URMs (for summer jobs) that don't exist for non-URMs. Since those companies mainly recruite from DU and CU, the URM pool from these two schools is important to note. New York has a ton of URMs, they won't miss me even slightly. :)

Going where the least competition is works for me. So does staying put where I am and working any connects here if I get the best financial aid deal right here and am not worthy of a T14.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby rundoxierun » Wed May 12, 2010 9:43 pm

legalized wrote:
legalized wrote:
rad law wrote:
legalized wrote:Rad law: where ARE the Cornell students? What's happening to them, where have they been going in this economy?


Not sure, other than that a lot of Cornell kids wanted New York big law and didn't get it ITE. I know a lot more about ATL and FL markets, where Cornell isn't very represented.



If Cornell kid wanted Atlanta could they get it?

New York seems to me an extremely oversaturated market. Just without even researching I can tell that every school north of the Carolinas feeds (or tries to feed) into there. I don't think I would even look at NYC biglaw if I wasn't at a T5. Not at this economic time anyway.

So GSU even with a full ride doesn't make sense.

CU with a full ride makes sense if sticking to colorado is fine...and with the denver firms having trouble with their minority recruitment/retention into biglaw. (that's from another thread)

Cornell makes sense if not going to NYC to compete.

Or that seems to be the preliminary look of things?



Ah but the URM pool at a school is NOT insignificant. Pufer gave some info on opportunities for URMs (for summer jobs) that don't exist for non-URMs. Since those companies mainly recruite from DU and CU, the URM pool from these two schools is important to note. New York has a ton of URMs, they won't miss me even slightly. :)

Going where the least competition is works for me. So does staying put where I am and working any connects here if I get the best financial aid deal right here and am not worthy of a T14.


umm in this case it is insignificant. Those diversity hiring programs fill 2-3 positions usually, maybe 5 if you're super lucky and they are only at well regarded firms. You are talking about choosing a school based on the possibility of a handful of jobs?? You dont pick schools hoping to game your way into an extremely limited diversity position. Thats just extremely short-sighted.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby gwuorbust » Wed May 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Kretzy wrote:
yeff wrote:I would say you pwned him, except that Justice White went to Yale.

Still, comparing schools like CU and CU on SCOTUS is really dumb. Hell, comparing Yale and Harvard on SCOTUS would be dumb.


You're absolutely right. :oops: White is such a fixture here in CO, that I assumed (very incorrectly) that he went to CU Law in addition to CU undergrad. My apologies, "GWUorbust." Sincerely.

In fact, I believe Ginsburg went to Cornell UG. Both have produced a justice (and in Cornell's case, probably more than 1).



obviously, that is why it comes down to indvl preferences. I am trying for the best and if I had this dilemma (which I find it funny that Op doesn't have yet, this is just a rando hypo w/ for no apparent reason whatsoever) then I would choose the t-14 over the other school. IMO high-risk high-returns*



* dear God, if you read that and take it to mean "yeah, I got a 146 and I will just enroll in Cooley. Life is full of risks!!" that is not what I am trying to imply!!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby Grizz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 pm

gwuorbust wrote:IMO high-risk high-returns*

* dear God, if you read that and take it to mean "yeah, I got a 146 and I will just enroll in Cooley. Life is full of risks!!" that is not what I am trying to imply!!


Haha in before "my mom's sister's cousin's stepdaughter went to a TTT and she is biglawsecure!"

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Kretzy wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:wait, are we really debating between Cornell, a t-14, and t-30s and lower ?!?!

thnx

and edit to say that you kinda need to gtfo until you have actually taken the LSAT. harsh, I know, but true.


There are myriad reasons to take a T40, with a full-tuition scholarship (particularly if it's in an area where you'd like to practice) over a T14 at three times the debt. To think otherwise is both naive and prestige-whorish. Cornell, in fact, does quite poorly placing in Denver, even for folks who grew up here/spent undergrad in Colorado, a fact I'm sure you know, given your probable copious research on the subject /endranting.

Knowing I want to practice in Denver, I would take a full-ride at CU over any school other than a T10 + Texas. I'm not saying OP wants to practice in Denver, just that you're general dismissiveness of the idea marks you (whether true or not) as someone who has seemingly bought too far into the idea that rankings are a trump-card.


Thank you. Also, plenty of lower t14s are having job trouble coupled with that debt they have, which means obviously (to ME anyway) t14 is not an automatic biglaw or other-law ticket, and that people's standards on what is considered a TOP school needs to rise as the sea of unemployed out of the T1 schools raise the competitive water level, so to speak. People need to not wait on US News to tell them when the bar has been raised. Think for yourselves.

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Wed May 12, 2010 10:41 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
legalized wrote:
rad law wrote:

If Cornell kid wanted Atlanta could they get it?

New York seems to me an extremely oversaturated market. Just without even researching I can tell that every school north of the Carolinas feeds (or tries to feed) into there. I don't think I would even look at NYC biglaw if I wasn't at a T5. Not at this economic time anyway.

So GSU even with a full ride doesn't make sense.

CU with a full ride makes sense if sticking to colorado is fine...and with the denver firms having trouble with their minority recruitment/retention into biglaw. (that's from another thread)

Cornell makes sense if not going to NYC to compete.

Or that seems to be the preliminary look of things?



Ah but the URM pool at a school is NOT insignificant. Pufer gave some info on opportunities for URMs (for summer jobs) that don't exist for non-URMs. Since those companies mainly recruite from DU and CU, the URM pool from these two schools is important to note. New York has a ton of URMs, they won't miss me even slightly. :)

Going where the least competition is works for me. So does staying put where I am and working any connects here if I get the best financial aid deal right here and am not worthy of a T14.


umm in this case it is insignificant. Those diversity hiring programs fill 2-3 positions usually, maybe 5 if you're super lucky and they are only at well regarded firms. You are talking about choosing a school based on the possibility of a handful of jobs?? You dont pick schools hoping to game your way into an extremely limited diversity position. Thats just extremely short-sighted.


No. Why because I acknowledge a diversity opportunity that exists in one market you think the ONLY reason I am including that market as an option is because of that diversity opportunity? FYI i found out about that on this board AFTER deciding to add the denver area to the list of areas I won't mind living and working in as a lawyer.

I choose schools based on several things, which have nearly all been outlined in a thread i made on the subject of how to choose the list of schools to apply to over in the URM forum.

And even still places with a higher need for diverse applicants are not insignificant. Non-major legal markets are less competition in general, moreso with URMs.

Stop worrying over my take on the URM situation, URM status wasn't even the point in the original post, don't turn the thread into that. Thanks.

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Wed May 12, 2010 10:52 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:Damn.

Didn't realize there was so much competition for Atlanta. Yikes.

Vanderbilt AND UVa?

Looks like I'd have a better shot in the Atlanta market angling to get into UVa then huh. Or Emory. But Emory probly won't care about having me as much as UVa. UVa.'s location so...smh. I'll do more research and see if there is something I'll like about it.

****************************
CU Boulder is behind who for the Denver market?


Umm.. if you dont have the numbers for Emory you probably arent getting into UVA. Im assuming you think Emory doesnt want URMs as badly as UVA and will therefore require you to have higher numbers. NOT the case. The number of URMs qualified is so limited that it doesnt shake out like that.


CU-Boulder isnt necessarily behind any other school for the Denver market but they do compete with U of Denver plus Denver is a fairly popular destination so people will be applying from around the country.

EDIT: NLJ 250 paints a starker picture for the south than whats really going on. These numbers dont really show the full picture since all the decent firms in the south arent necessarily NLJ 250.


Honestly was assuming with the exact same numbers to get into one or the other, Emory will by default have a lot more URM applicants applying due to its location, versus UVa that is in the bush for all practical purposes. Not that I could be lazier with the score, just have better chances of a "yes" with $$ from UVa. Emory might not NEED me as much. Even if it wants me.

Denver is popular to who? It doesn't have much URM population to begin with outside of Hispanics. Most URMs as far as I can tell stick to the coastline of the country as much as possible (or at least states that touch the coastline or the Great Lakes).


Umm yea Emory may have more URM applicants but it def wont have the same quality of URM applicants. The URMs with the numbers for T25 schools know that UVA is a significantly more prestigious school and therefore the top URM applicants apply there. Not as many of the top will be applying to Emory simply because it is in Atlanta. In fact, a lot of top URMs hate Atlanta. Dont apply the thinking of the general population to the top group.


Where do you get it from that a lot of URMs hate Atlanta? That sounds like opinion and not one backed up by anecdotal evidence either. Many URMs are hightailing it out of depressed Florida etc and overpriced New York etc. and getting a nice return on income vs. cost of living in Atlanta (so are whites, for that matter).

But you maybe be looking at it different from me so let's hear what you have to say.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby Grizz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:54 pm

legalized wrote:Where do you get it from that a lot of URMs hate Atlanta? That sounds like opinion and not one backed up by anecdotal evidence either.

Agreed.

ATL has a vibrant, successful black middle class and is very not racist.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby rundoxierun » Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:Damn.

Umm.. if you dont have the numbers for Emory you probably arent getting into UVA. Im assuming you think Emory doesnt want URMs as badly as UVA and will therefore require you to have higher numbers. NOT the case. The number of URMs qualified is so limited that it doesnt shake out like that.


CU-Boulder isnt necessarily behind any other school for the Denver market but they do compete with U of Denver plus Denver is a fairly popular destination so people will be applying from around the country.

EDIT: NLJ 250 paints a starker picture for the south than whats really going on. These numbers dont really show the full picture since all the decent firms in the south arent necessarily NLJ 250.


Honestly was assuming with the exact same numbers to get into one or the other, Emory will by default have a lot more URM applicants applying due to its location, versus UVa that is in the bush for all practical purposes. Not that I could be lazier with the score, just have better chances of a "yes" with $$ from UVa. Emory might not NEED me as much. Even if it wants me.

Denver is popular to who? It doesn't have much URM population to begin with outside of Hispanics. Most URMs as far as I can tell stick to the coastline of the country as much as possible (or at least states that touch the coastline or the Great Lakes).


Umm yea Emory may have more URM applicants but it def wont have the same quality of URM applicants. The URMs with the numbers for T25 schools know that UVA is a significantly more prestigious school and therefore the top URM applicants apply there. Not as many of the top will be applying to Emory simply because it is in Atlanta. In fact, a lot of top URMs hate Atlanta. Dont apply the thinking of the general population to the top group.


Where do you get it from that a lot of URMs hate Atlanta? That sounds like opinion and not one backed up by anecdotal evidence either. Many URMs are hightailing it out of depressed Florida etc and overpriced New York etc. and getting a nice return on income vs. cost of living in Atlanta (so are whites, for that matter).

But you maybe be looking at it different from me so let's hear what you have to say.


God.. You want anecdotal evidence?? I am in the unique position of being a top URM candidate for next cycle myself, I know people who will also/have been top URM by virtue of attending many programs designed for top black students, and I know more top URM students by virtue of currently dating a girl who went to a top boarding school. There is a huge east coast bias in top URMs. Many attend boarding schools out east through special programs and end up attending college on the coasts. The majority of these people HATE the south. The east coast biased people think everything having to do with the south is backwards and refuse to even consider most southern schools not named Duke. Many of the West coast people end up heading back east or staying out west. Look at where the top undergrads are, most of the qualified URMs come from those schools and a huge amount of them arent looking south.

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 am

yeff wrote:1. OP, this whole thing is totally hypothetical?

:?:

Go take the LSAT, then repost about where to apply. Get your acceptances and/or scholarships, then repost about which to choose. Right now you should post in the LSAT forum about how to get the best score you can, IMO.

legalized wrote:I don't think I would even look at NYC biglaw if I wasn't at a T5. Not at this economic time anyway.


Good point. If you were only at a T6 like New York UniversiTTTy, it's problem not even worth looking at NYC biglaw. :roll:


So you brought up a school that trades places with Columbia for T5 quite often to make what point exactly? Schools that are that close in rank should not be used to make an opposing argument. The gist of my point was simply being t14 doesn't mean what it use to and there are PLENTY people in the t-14 who were better served by taking that same great LSAT or whatever got them in there and getting a scholarship at a school located somewhere they could live, work, and get a job outside of new york...and, without crushing debt.

More of them would have learned how to brand and market themselves if they were not depending so heavily on the name of the school to do ALL the selling for them.

But what the hell do I know right.

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 10:13 am

tkgrrett wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Honestly was assuming with the exact same numbers to get into one or the other, Emory will by default have a lot more URM applicants applying due to its location, versus UVa that is in the bush for all practical purposes. Not that I could be lazier with the score, just have better chances of a "yes" with $$ from UVa. Emory might not NEED me as much. Even if it wants me.

Denver is popular to who? It doesn't have much URM population to begin with outside of Hispanics. Most URMs as far as I can tell stick to the coastline of the country as much as possible (or at least states that touch the coastline or the Great Lakes).


Umm yea Emory may have more URM applicants but it def wont have the same quality of URM applicants. The URMs with the numbers for T25 schools know that UVA is a significantly more prestigious school and therefore the top URM applicants apply there. Not as many of the top will be applying to Emory simply because it is in Atlanta. In fact, a lot of top URMs hate Atlanta. Dont apply the thinking of the general population to the top group.


Where do you get it from that a lot of URMs hate Atlanta? That sounds like opinion and not one backed up by anecdotal evidence either. Many URMs are hightailing it out of depressed Florida etc and overpriced New York etc. and getting a nice return on income vs. cost of living in Atlanta (so are whites, for that matter).

But you maybe be looking at it different from me so let's hear what you have to say.


God.. You want anecdotal evidence?? I am in the unique position of being a top URM candidate for next cycle myself, I know people who will also/have been top URM by virtue of attending many programs designed for top black students, and I know more top URM students by virtue of currently dating a girl who went to a top boarding school. There is a huge east coast bias in top URMs. Many attend boarding schools out east through special programs and end up attending college on the coasts. The majority of these people HATE the south. The east coast biased people think everything having to do with the south is backwards and refuse to even consider most southern schools not named Duke. Many of the West coast people end up heading back east or staying out west. Look at where the top undergrads are, most of the qualified URMs come from those schools and a huge amount of them arent looking south.


A huge amount of that tiny number of URMs that went to boarding schools and whatnot are not even looking at the schools that are the subject of this thread, now are they? So how does this rarity of URMs affect the scenarios inside here? A LOT of URMs AND WHITES find the Atlanta metro to allow them to afford a nice home without bleeding income like the NYC area or bleeding property taxes like, say, Florida. I see and know of plenty who have degrees and careers ongoing in various fields that have relocated here or found the first job here or their company sent them here.

Also, isn't it a tiny bit arrogant to assume you are a top URM candidate? You don't know what the international URMs are doing, you don't know what the larger number of URMs are doing. I mean you probably are, but boarding school and top program attendance means you are even more of an exception for URMs and should not be looked at as the middle 50%.

Atlanta might be overlooked simply because it doesn't have a t-14. And if they despise the south, that is because they were trained to, because that is the typical attitude of many New Englanders, and that is also where top boarding schools like Choate are located.

Anyway, if your point was that the top of the pile that you associate with is not interested in Atlanta, fine, but that leaves the rest of URM folks that are not top of the pile but not bottom of it either who are very much interested in Atlanta. Not nearly so much Denver.

And if your kind scorns Atlanta, come on, are they really trying to go do Denver? I think not. That is even less prestigious a place to live for the obviously status-conscious bunch than NYC or Potomac, MD or somewhere.

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 10:20 am

rad law wrote:
legalized wrote:Where do you get it from that a lot of URMs hate Atlanta? That sounds like opinion and not one backed up by anecdotal evidence either.

Agreed.

ATL has a vibrant, successful black middle class and is very not racist.


I don't know what tkgrrett is trying to pull.

Oh, but the surrounding hick towns of Georgia (and that's basically everywhere that's NOT Atlanta metro) are definitely racist. Definitely.

The metro area itself though does show signs of tolerance, namely the level of mixed families, and of course the status as a top city for gays too.

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 10:22 am

gwuorbust wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
yeff wrote:I would say you pwned him, except that Justice White went to Yale.

Still, comparing schools like CU and CU on SCOTUS is really dumb. Hell, comparing Yale and Harvard on SCOTUS would be dumb.


You're absolutely right. :oops: White is such a fixture here in CO, that I assumed (very incorrectly) that he went to CU Law in addition to CU undergrad. My apologies, "GWUorbust." Sincerely.

In fact, I believe Ginsburg went to Cornell UG. Both have produced a justice (and in Cornell's case, probably more than 1).



obviously, that is why it comes down to indvl preferences. I am trying for the best and if I had this dilemma (which I find it funny that Op doesn't have yet, this is just a rando hypo w/ for no apparent reason whatsoever) then I would choose the t-14 over the other school. IMO high-risk high-returns*



* dear God, if you read that and take it to mean "yeah, I got a 146 and I will just enroll in Cooley. Life is full of risks!!" that is not what I am trying to imply!!


ROFL but there is a reason, and it's not random.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby yeff » Thu May 13, 2010 10:23 am

legalized wrote:I don't think I would even look at NYC biglaw if I wasn't at a T5. Not at this economic time anyway./quote]

yeff wrote:Good point. If you were only at a T6 like New York UniversiTTTy, it's probably not even worth looking at NYC biglaw. :roll:


legalized wrote:So you brought up a school that trades places with Columbia for T5 quite often to make what point exactly?


...to make the point that your claim that looking at biglaw from schools outside the T5 was silly, given that NYU is now #6.

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 am

tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
legalized wrote:
rad law wrote:
If Cornell kid wanted Atlanta could they get it?

New York seems to me an extremely oversaturated market. Just without even researching I can tell that every school north of the Carolinas feeds (or tries to feed) into there. I don't think I would even look at NYC biglaw if I wasn't at a T5. Not at this economic time anyway.

So GSU even with a full ride doesn't make sense.

CU with a full ride makes sense if sticking to colorado is fine...and with the denver firms having trouble with their minority recruitment/retention into biglaw. (that's from another thread)

Cornell makes sense if not going to NYC to compete.

Or that seems to be the preliminary look of things?



Ah but the URM pool at a school is NOT insignificant. Pufer gave some info on opportunities for URMs (for summer jobs) that don't exist for non-URMs. Since those companies mainly recruite from DU and CU, the URM pool from these two schools is important to note. New York has a ton of URMs, they won't miss me even slightly. :)

Going where the least competition is works for me. So does staying put where I am and working any connects here if I get the best financial aid deal right here and am not worthy of a T14.


umm in this case it is insignificant. Those diversity hiring programs fill 2-3 positions usually, maybe 5 if you're super lucky and they are only at well regarded firms. You are talking about choosing a school based on the possibility of a handful of jobs?? You dont pick schools hoping to game your way into an extremely limited diversity position. Thats just extremely short-sighted.


By the way, when it comes to t14, that IS what all these ls hopefuls do and did, every day. If they intended to work where most grads end up working (and biglaw is not hiring the majority of ls grads, it is hiring a minority of them), they would not spend that much money to attend Harvard or Georgetown. They spend that money to attend hoping to game their way into the handful of biglaw jobs.

ROFL but that still wasn't what I was doing and if you hadn't gotten tunnel vision at the passing mention of URM hiring programs in Denver and decided to try and shoot down anything I say that involves URMs, you would have seen that.

User avatar
HazelEyes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby HazelEyes » Thu May 13, 2010 10:31 am

Cornell hands down, unless you're seriously debt adverse then go with CU. I just can't see turning down Cornell for CU. Don't even consider GSU.

Full disclosure- i'm WL'd @ CU and I WANT YOUR SPOT!

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

HazelEyes wrote:Cornell hands down, unless you're seriously debt adverse then go with CU. I just can't see turning down Cornell for CU. Don't even consider GSU.

Full disclosure- i'm WL'd @ CU and I WANT YOUR SPOT!


If you don't mind:

What are your number (lsdas gpa/lsat) and why did you choose CU?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby rundoxierun » Thu May 13, 2010 2:01 pm

legalized wrote:
rad law wrote:
legalized wrote:Where do you get it from that a lot of URMs hate Atlanta? That sounds like opinion and not one backed up by anecdotal evidence either.

Agreed.

ATL has a vibrant, successful black middle class and is very not racist.


I don't know what tkgrrett is trying to pull.

Oh, but the surrounding hick towns of Georgia (and that's basically everywhere that's NOT Atlanta metro) are definitely racist. Definitely.

The metro area itself though does show signs of tolerance, namely the level of mixed families, and of course the status as a top city for gays too.

Umm.. I'm not trying to pull anything. OP said he was operating on the belief that the same numbers that would get a urm into emory would get them into uva because urms like atlanta better and would therefore apply to emory in higher numbers. However, the quality of applicants to the two schools are different. URMs competitive at the top top 10 aren't applying to emory but they are applying to uva. Because of this uva standards are higher even if they do get fewer urm applicants. I'm so arrogant to think I will be a top urm applicant because I'm entering my senior year with a 177 lsat and a 3.65 gpa. Unless something drastically changes I think ill be competitive at the top schools. Frome the ridiculous statements the op is making it is pretty clear that he/she is either ill informed or trolling to start arguments.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby rundoxierun » Thu May 13, 2010 2:40 pm

[
tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
legalized wrote:
rad law wrote:
Ah but the URM pool at a school is NOT insignificant. Pufer gave some info on opportunities for URMs (for summer jobs) that don't exist for non-URMs. Since those companies mainly recruite from DU and CU, the URM pool from these two schools is important to note. New York has a ton of URMs, they won't miss me even slightly. :)

Going where the least competition is works for me. So does staying put where I am and working any connects here if I get the best financial aid deal right here and am not worthy of a T14.


umm in this case it is insignificant. Those diversity hiring programs fill 2-3 positions usually, maybe 5 if you're super lucky and they are only at well regarded firms. You are talking about choosing a school based on the possibility of a handful of jobs?? You dont pick schools hoping to game your way into an extremely limited diversity position. Thats just extremely short-sighted.


By the way, when it comes to t14, that IS what all these ls hopefuls do and did, every day. If they intended to work where most grads end up working (and biglaw is not hiring the majority of ls grads, it is hiring a minority of them), they would not spend that much money to attend Harvard or Georgetown. They spend that money to attend hoping to game their way into the handful of biglaw jobs.

ROFL but that still wasn't what I was doing and if you hadn't gotten tunnel vision at the passing mention of URM hiring programs in Denver and decided to try and shoot down anything I say that involves URMs, you would have seen that.


EDIT: screw it, I give up

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 2:42 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
rad law wrote:
legalized wrote:Where do you get it from that a lot of URMs hate Atlanta? That sounds like opinion and not one backed up by anecdotal evidence either.

Agreed.

ATL has a vibrant, successful black middle class and is very not racist.


I don't know what tkgrrett is trying to pull.

Oh, but the surrounding hick towns of Georgia (and that's basically everywhere that's NOT Atlanta metro) are definitely racist. Definitely.

The metro area itself though does show signs of tolerance, namely the level of mixed families, and of course the status as a top city for gays too.

Umm.. I'm not trying to pull anything. OP said he was operating on the belief that the same numbers that would get a urm into emory would get them into uva because urms like atlanta better and would therefore apply to emory in higher numbers. However, the quality of applicants to the two schools are different. URMs competitive at the top top 10 aren't applying to emory but they are applying to uva. Because of this uva standards are higher even if they do get fewer urm applicants. I'm so arrogant to think I will be a top urm applicant because I'm entering my senior year with a 177 lsat and a 3.65 gpa. Unless something drastically changes I think ill be competitive at the top schools. Frome the ridiculous statements the op is making it is pretty clear that he/she is either ill informed or trolling to start arguments.


Cut your shit out. You did not list your LSAT or gpa as the reasons why you considered yourself a top URM candidate in the post where you first tried to show off. All you mentioned was your boarding school and top URM program friends and associates.

So anyone reading that would be left to think you consider yourself a top URM simply by having gone to boarding school or whatever, which is arrogant snobbery at its finest.

NOW that you have posted relevant info, we can see where you would get your original opinion from and it makes sense.

I am not ill informed. I am also not the only one that can see with their own two eyes, and has said so in this thread, that lots of professional well to do blacks and others are flocking to Atlanta metro.

For that matter, URM status was not part of the original post, YOU decided to take a passing statement and make a big "let me rush in here and CORRECT you" moment out of it. YOU also decided that numbers good for Emory can't be good for UVa, as if someone with a 165 or 170 wouldn't be just as welcome to apply to UVa as to Emory.

Not every URM with high scores has the same background as you and therefore will not have the same motivations as you and your friends.

And some WILL NOT LIKE UVA'S LOCATION and this has been confirmed already by URMs AT UVa or who got accepted there. Are you going to argue with them too just because you and your friends are too cool for the south?

Stop derailing the damn thread with your obsession with saying the opposite of anything I say about URMs. Most URMs applying to law school do not have a 170 or above and this is a known fact. MOST URMs will need to think about where they want to practice law for the rest of their lives since most of them will not be attending national-reach schools.

MOST URMs like Atlanta versus CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va, and Denver or Boulder, Colorado!

It doesn't take a 177 on the LSAT to realize that, since of the 4 locations listed, Atlanta has THE MOST URMs, esp. black!

User avatar
soundgardener
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby soundgardener » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm

This thread =
Image

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Cornell 1/4-ride v GSU full-ride v CU-Boulder full-ride?

Postby rundoxierun » Thu May 13, 2010 2:57 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
legalized wrote:
rad law wrote:
legalized wrote:Agreed.

ATL has a vibrant, successful black middle class and is very not racist.


I don't know what tkgrrett is trying to pull.

Oh, but the surrounding hick towns of Georgia (and that's basically everywhere that's NOT Atlanta metro) are definitely racist. Definitely.

The metro area itself though does show signs of tolerance, namely the level of mixed families, and of course the status as a top city for gays too.

Umm.. I'm not trying to pull anything. OP said he was operating on the belief that the same numbers that would get a urm into emory would get them into uva because urms like atlanta better and would therefore apply to emory in higher numbers. However, the quality of applicants to the two schools are different. URMs competitive at the top top 10 aren't applying to emory but they are applying to uva. Because of this uva standards are higher even if they do get fewer urm applicants. I'm so arrogant to think I will be a top urm applicant because I'm entering my senior year with a 177 lsat and a 3.65 gpa. Unless something drastically changes I think ill be competitive at the top schools. Frome the ridiculous statements the op is making it is pretty clear that he/she is either ill informed or trolling to start arguments.


Cut your shit out. You did not list your LSAT or gpa as the reasons why you considered yourself a top URM candidate in the post where you first tried to show off. All you mentioned was your boarding school and top URM program friends and associates.

So anyone reading that would be left to think you consider yourself a top URM simply by having gone to boarding school or whatever, which is arrogant snobbery at its finest.

NOW that you have posted relevant info, we can see where you would get your original opinion from and it makes sense.

I am not ill informed. I am also not the only one that can see with their own two eyes, and has said so in this thread, that lots of professional well to do blacks and others are flocking to Atlanta metro.

For that matter, URM status was not part of the original post, YOU decided to take a passing statement and make a big "let me rush in here and CORRECT you" moment out of it. YOU also decided that numbers good for Emory can't be good for UVa, as if someone with a 165 or 170 wouldn't be just as welcome to apply to UVa as to Emory.

Not every URM with high scores has the same background as you and therefore will not have the same motivations as you and your friends.

And some WILL NOT LIKE UVA'S LOCATION and this has been confirmed already by URMs AT UVa or who got accepted there. Are you going to argue with them too just because you and your friends are too cool for the south?

Stop derailing the damn thread with your obsession with saying the opposite of anything I say about URMs. Most URMs applying to law school do not have a 170 or above and this is a known fact. MOST URMs will need to think about where they want to practice law for the rest of their lives since most of them will not be attending national-reach schools.

MOST URMs like Atlanta versus CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va, and Denver or Boulder, Colorado!

It doesn't take a 177 on the LSAT to realize that, since of the 4 locations listed, Atlanta has THE MOST URMs, esp. black!


Wow did you even read what I posted?? this is absolutely amazing... I was trying to be helpful here. I just wanted to let you know that you shouldnt expect the same numbers that would get you into Emory at a minimum to do the same at UVA. A) you asked for anecdotal evidence for saying that most top URM applicants dont consider Emory.. I gave you this by offering up my experiences with top URM candidates (My gf went to the boarding school, not me btw). I didnt list my numbers originally because I wanted to separate myself from the facts. B) Im sure lots of professional blacks do flock to ATL but thats not what Im talking about. Im talking about the discrepancy in quality of applicants (numberwise) between UVA and Emory. C) MOST Urms may like ATL versus wherever but Im not talking about most URMS, Im talking Most URMs qualified to attend top 10 law schools. D) Im not talking about where the most URMs are, Im clarifying a statement regarding why the numbers(GPA/LSAT) will be different at the two schools. E) Im from Memphis, TN and have nothing against the south. At this point im just continuing to post on this for the entertainment value...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests