Drifting into law school vs Choosing Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
katjust

Re: Drifting into law school vs Choosing Law School

Postby katjust » Fri May 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Haha, the jealousy in this thread is hilarious.

You're all so smart, but the Yale law grad, SC clerk, is a retard. She ain't know nothing. Keep thinking it you deluded fools.

Postby 06132010 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:28 pm

katjust wrote:Haha, the jealousy in this thread is hilarious.

You're all so smart, but the Yale law grad, SC clerk, is a retard. She ain't know nothing. Keep thinking it you deluded fools.

look at you, you're such a contrarian little smartie pants. yeshhh you areee.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 14, 2010 12:35 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:

quoted in case you try to edit out your funny-but-douchey comment again.

Postby 06132010 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:37 pm

IAFG wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:

quoted in case you try to edit out your funny-but-douchey comment again.

is that supposed to be threatening? I don't understand. my previous douchey edit was pre-typing, not pre-commenting.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri May 14, 2010 12:40 pm

I don't think anyone here is doubting her intelligence, just that she's fake for trying to pass off all that awesome as: "oh, I was just drifting through life you know, anyone could've done it...but regurgitating advice on how to be happy is what makes ME happy! Buy my book and be as happy as I, an extremely privileged woman who married into even MORE privilege!"

I think you missed the point.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri May 14, 2010 2:00 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
IAFG wrote:quoted in case you try to edit out your funny-but-douchey comment again.

is that supposed to be threatening? I don't understand. my previous douchey edit was pre-typing, not pre-commenting.

no, not threatening. i assumed the other comment had been ninja-edited. also, i have missed you.

shantiom

Postby shantiom » Fri May 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Learning Hand wrote:Image

+1

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Fri May 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Whether or not she has anything worthwhile to say about happiness, I think she has a great point about drifting. I've known for years that I plan to go to law school, but am continually astonished by the rationales of other prospective students. "I'll go to law school if I do well on the LSAT." "I'm considering a masters in poli sci or going to law school. I'll probably do law school because I'd make more money." "I don't know what I want to do, so I'll go to law school." Most of these people, if they make it into and through law school, probably won't be happy. I suspect a lot of the people posting on this site in purely financial cost-benefit terms won't be happy either. They'll make enough money to comfortably pay off their debt, but they'll be miserable.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Fri May 14, 2010 11:11 pm

shantiom wrote:
Learning Hand wrote:Image

+1

That waddling virgin makes me want to kick a baby every time I see it.

shantiom

Postby shantiom » Sat May 15, 2010 3:44 am

fwaam wrote:Whether or not she has anything worthwhile to say about happiness, I think she has a great point about drifting. I've known for years that I plan to go to law school, but am continually astonished by the rationales of other prospective students. "I'll go to law school if I do well on the LSAT." "I'm considering a masters in poli sci or going to law school. I'll probably do law school because I'd make more money." "I don't know what I want to do, so I'll go to law school." Most of these people, if they make it into and through law school, probably won't be happy. I suspect a lot of the people posting on this site in purely financial cost-benefit terms won't be happy either. They'll make enough money to comfortably pay off their debt, but they'll be miserable.

I think most people agree about "drifting" into a career path. People who predicate their decision on "purely financial cost-benefit terms" do not belong in the same category.

To the contrary, someone who has done his/her homework and come to the conclusion that working in a law firm leaves them better off in the long run than the alternatives is hardly drifting. That said, I honestly don't think there are that many people who are "purely" money-motivated about. Most probably have at least some interest in the law, even if exclusively as it relates to business. After, Investment Banking offers similar compensation, similar hours and you don't need an additional $200k in debt and three years in school to enter the field.

What I'm driving at: Just because one's principal motivation to study law is not the 8th amendment rights of Micronesian baby seals doesn't mean that one is a cold-hearted miserable bastard destined for a life of meaningless drivel and general unpleasantness.

Also:

Always Credited wrote: That waddling virgin makes me want to kick a baby every time I see it.

Oh, come on. Look at the swing in that step. No way dude's still a virgin.

When rebutting, note that the perfect response to your comment would have been to post said waddling person (of questionable sexual history) again. Note that I did not.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat May 15, 2010 4:38 am

Definitely worth reading.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Sat May 15, 2010 11:59 am

shantiom wrote:
fwaam wrote:Whether or not she has anything worthwhile to say about happiness, I think she has a great point about drifting. I've known for years that I plan to go to law school, but am continually astonished by the rationales of other prospective students. "I'll go to law school if I do well on the LSAT." "I'm considering a masters in poli sci or going to law school. I'll probably do law school because I'd make more money." "I don't know what I want to do, so I'll go to law school." Most of these people, if they make it into and through law school, probably won't be happy. I suspect a lot of the people posting on this site in purely financial cost-benefit terms won't be happy either. They'll make enough money to comfortably pay off their debt, but they'll be miserable.

I think most people agree about "drifting" into a career path. People who predicate their decision on "purely financial cost-benefit terms" do not belong in the same category.

To the contrary, someone who has done his/her homework and come to the conclusion that working in a law firm leaves them better off in the long run than the alternatives is hardly drifting. That said, I honestly don't think there are that many people who are "purely" money-motivated about. Most probably have at least some interest in the law, even if exclusively as it relates to business. After, Investment Banking offers similar compensation, similar hours and you don't need an additional $200k in debt and three years in school to enter the field.

What I'm driving at: Just because one's principal motivation to study law is not the 8th amendment rights of Micronesian baby seals doesn't mean that one is a cold-hearted miserable bastard destined for a life of meaningless drivel and general unpleasantness.

I didn't say people have to be interested in public interest work to enjoy a career in the law. (In fact, I suspect a fair number of people go in because they want to do good, but have no interest in the law itself, and that some of those people aren't too happy either, if they stay on the legal side of things. They'd be better off as fundraisers or lobbyists for nonprofits.) But yeah, I would worry if your law school decision is made purely on financial terms; a lot of people don't really understand, when they commit to working 60 hours a week average in biglaw, what it's like to get up every morning and work 10 hours in a job that makes you money but that you don't actually like. The fact that it is possible to enter an equally lucrative career without law school debt doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people going to law school solely to make money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”