Applications for Fall 2011 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DaveBear07

Bronze

Applications for Fall 2011

Post by DaveBear07 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 pm

So all along I've heard that one of the benefits of taking the LSAT in June is that you have the rest of the summer to work on your applications. However, I recently ran across some information stating that applications aren't released until September or October.

To put it in a familiar way-- can someone resolve this discrepancy for me?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Re: Applications for Fall 2011

Post by PlugInBaby » Tue May 11, 2010 10:12 pm

I believe the criteria asked for in terms of essays are the same year to year. Thus you can reasonably prepare your personal statement along with other essays a school may offer you to write over the summer before the application is released.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm

1: Line up your recommenders and have them submit stuff over the summer.

2: Write your personal statement. This takes longer than you think. If you are like most people you will need 2-3 weeks at least of brainstorming, writing, and doing several rounds of edits.

3: Edit and polish your resume

4: Find out which schools require/suggest extra essays (e.g., "Why Penn?") and start writing these as well. These usually do not change much year to year.

The applications themselves take very little time (I think I completed the actual applications for 9 schools in 2 days), but to crank out a really good PS may take 2 weeks of working almost full time. Longer if you have a day job.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue May 11, 2010 10:26 pm

DaveBear07 wrote:So all along I've heard that one of the benefits of taking the LSAT in June is that you have the rest of the summer to work on your applications. However, I recently ran across some information stating that applications aren't released until September or October.

To put it in a familiar way-- can someone resolve this discrepancy for me?
I hate to ask the obvious, but, what if the June LSAT doesn't go as planned? Take the June LSAT and if it blows, you get one or two more shots to make a great impression.

You should start your essays during the summer...while you're at the beach. You need to write and rewrite your personal statement at least 20 times to perfect it. You need to format and organize all of your documents, get LOR's from profs, do all of your mailings, visit the courthouse to check your records, appeal any grades in time to get them on your transcript, research the schools and write additional essays for special programs and scholarships, etc. Once October comes, if you haven't done any of that, you will be a December applicant or a weak early applicant in most cases.

Take your LSAT and get to work on the essays and other stuff. You want it ready by the end of September.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 11:06 pm

LOR's can easily take a couple months, if not more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Thu May 13, 2010 2:11 am

FYI it's a great idea to do this. I took the June LSAT, talked to all my LOR recommenders during the end of spring quarter so all my letters were in at LSAC by mid-July, and spent a solid uninterrupted couple months tinkering with my PS until I felt it was perfect. Then I sent out almost all my applications the day the day they became available (FYI, some of the LSAC applications become active earlier than you are allowed to actually submit them, allowing you to review them ahead of time for specific essay requirements). I feel like this is one factor that led to me having a much better than expected cycle. When I got my super-early acceptance to UCLA (about two weeks after submitting in September), the admissions dean told me over the phone that I was one of the first applications over his desk, when he didn't have much else to read, so he was able to really take a close look at it.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Thu May 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Do what amputatedbrain did. Oh if I were a planner.

Though I'm pretty happy with my cycle, given the Dec LSAT and late January/ early Feb apps.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 5:58 pm

kalvano wrote:LOR's can easily take a couple months, if not more.
Yes!

Unfortunately.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”