deferral denied --> law school or withdraw and reapply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What should I do?

Decline the job offer and start law school in Fall 2010
70%
Withdraw from my dream law school, accept the job offer, and reapply to law school this fall
30%

Total votes: 54

Chicklets

Re: deferral denied --> law school or withdraw and reapply?

Postby Chicklets » Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 am

Real life experiences are worth a lot (and I'm not talking about as a law school soft). Take the year to go to France. It sounds like an amazing experience. I'm 10 years out of undergrad and starting law school this fall. You're wise to recognize that the kind of w/e and travel you're planning is a great opportunity. Apparently many of the kids on this site don't get that life is not a race to the end. And in the end, people regret the things the DIDN'T do rather than the things they did do. You'll probably get into McGill again next year, and if you don't you'll have the maturity to put that into perspective. Good luck in whichever path you choose!

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 am

Take the year off, you will not regret it.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 pm

You're set on McGill, I'd probably take it. If I were to guess I'd say that the extra year is not going to have much effect on your employability (though it might make you a more interesting interview).

Normally I'd suggest people wait at least a year after UG, and I think teaching abroad is a fun opportunity. But you're so set on McGill, not sure if it's worth the gamble to you.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:38 pm

If you weren't positive you want to go to law school, I would say wait. Go spend a year abroad, figure out what you want to do with your life. But if you are dead set on law school, you'd be crazy to pass it up. You aren't talking about a life changing career opportunity, or even one that would allow you to save money or assist you in the future. The ex-pat year is a fun one (I spent three years abroad and loved every minute) but the idea that you would be building something substantial for your future by teaching English in France is naive, in my opinion.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 12, 2010 3:55 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:Thanks for all the help so far! Just to specify a bit, I would be teaching English in France, and taking classes or interning on the side. I was accepted at McGill normally--not off the waitlist--but I am not an autoadmit, partially for reasons I can change (LORs) and partially for reasons I cannot (GPA). I've done a lot of research, and I can't imagine myself ending up at any school but McGill. On the one hand I think that, knowing what I do now, if I submit a new personal statement and new LORs I should be able to get in again. On the other hand, I worry that the applicant pool next year will render me less competitive than this year.

I just got back from doing that, let me know if you have any questions.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu May 13, 2010 12:24 am

letsgojayhawks wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:What school are you speaking of? Pm me if you don't want to post it here.

McGill. In Montreal. I didn't post it because it doesn't seem to be very well-known on this forum.

Isn't this the number 2 law school in Canada? I'd go...mainly because I think McGill is super cheap compared to American law schools and you won't be debt-ridden/f-ed in life as much.

AsexualChocolate

Postby AsexualChocolate » Thu May 13, 2010 3:54 am

My outlook is currently bullish (though time will tell if it's really just "bull-headed"), but I think the economy is creeping back and good jobs will start pulling people from the applicant pool. You might have a better shot at scholarships next year. If all else, the year off gives the economy another year to pull out of the slump, and you should be better-off finding 1L and 2L summer work...

If you are not 100% in the law school mode (as it seems everyone else posting here is), go take care of your business and come back. Expand your horizons and have fun. Come back certain, invigorated, and ready to kick some intellectual ass (figuratively - I don't mean come back and beat up nerds...) :wink:

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 13, 2010 6:54 am

letsgojayhawks wrote:Thanks for all the help so far! Just to specify a bit, I would be teaching English in France, and taking classes or interning on the side. I was accepted at McGill normally--not off the waitlist--but I am not an autoadmit, partially for reasons I can change (LORs) and partially for reasons I cannot (GPA). I've done a lot of research, and I can't imagine myself ending up at any school but McGill. On the one hand I think that, knowing what I do now, if I submit a new personal statement and new LORs I should be able to get in again. On the other hand, I worry that the applicant pool next year will render me less competitive than this year.

If it's your absolute dream school...I wouldn't risk it. Sometimes people who already have the numbers for the school don't get it. I personally wouldnt put myself in a position where a year from now you're pissed. You can study abroad at your law school. I would look into that option if you really want to go to France for a semester or so.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 am

Chicklets wrote:And in the end, people regret the things the DIDN'T do rather than the things they did do. You'll probably get into McGill again next year, and if you don't you'll have the maturity to put that into perspective.

Although the above quote was used to argue for you going to France, you can also look at it the other way. What would cause more regret--skipping out on an extended vacation (because teaching English in France is essentially an extended vacation--you know it, I know it, the adcomms know it) or missing the boat on your dream school? By denying your deferral, mcgill is basically outright saying that you probably WON'T get in next cycle, and that you should count your blessings for getting in. I've been out of school nearly 3 years now, and sometimes I do regret not applying right after undergrad (better schools, more $$). In my case though, the work experience was more substantial and could pay off later.

heyyitskatie

Postby heyyitskatie » Thu May 13, 2010 10:16 am

I think it's tough for us to answer since the American system does have some major differences...the main one being that in our system, if you don't do extended travel between UG and law school, you won't really get the chance again (between school, debt, and how law jobs work), until you are probably around 40. It's also really hard to decide that you want to take a year off right after law school and then enter the legal work force (not that most of us would be able to so do anyway, but theoretically speaking). If the Canadian system has some more leeway than ours and you'll have the mental energy to keep going, I'd say go to McGill. If, however, you are just too burned out to immediately go into three more years of higher education (I was) and you see this as an opportunity you never get back...take your chances.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Thu May 13, 2010 6:42 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:I think it's tough for us to answer since the American system does have some major differences...the main one being that in our system, if you don't do extended travel between UG and law school, you won't really get the chance again (between school, debt, and how law jobs work), until you are probably around 40. It's also really hard to decide that you want to take a year off right after law school and then enter the legal work force (not that most of us would be able to so do anyway, but theoretically speaking). If the Canadian system has some more leeway than ours and you'll have the mental energy to keep going, I'd say go to McGill. If, however, you are just too burned out to immediately go into three more years of higher education (I was) and you see this as an opportunity you never get back...take your chances.

The Canadian system is pretty similar to the American one in that respect. It might even be worse in terms of taking time off, due to the articling requirement. This is probably a silly question, but it would be stupid or even impossible to take this kind opportunity after law school (and articling and bar), right?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu May 13, 2010 6:57 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:The Canadian system is pretty similar to the American one in that respect. It might even be worse in terms of taking time off, due to the articling requirement. This is probably a silly question, but it would be stupid or even impossible to take this kind opportunity after law school (and articling and bar), right?
Not if you get biglaw and they give you the fuck-off stipend for a year. Though they encouraged people to do public interest for their year off. And firms are phasing out the pro bono year.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 pm

NayBoer wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:The Canadian system is pretty similar to the American one in that respect. It might even be worse in terms of taking time off, due to the articling requirement. This is probably a silly question, but it would be stupid or even impossible to take this kind opportunity after law school (and articling and bar), right?
Not if you get biglaw and they give you the fuck-off stipend for a year. Though they encouraged people to do public interest for their year off. And firms are phasing out the pro bono year.

I would never never do biglaw. Ever. I plan on doing public-interest once I graduate. Doesn't really change the schedule though, the best time to get a PI job is still right after graduation.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu May 13, 2010 8:32 pm

what is it about mcgill that would make you not consider any other school?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 pm

adameus wrote:what is it about mcgill that would make you not consider any other school?

On parle le francais a McGill

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Thu May 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Teaching is seriously lame. Don't waste your time.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Thu May 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Reasons I can think of to go:

- Going to law school before you are ready is a bad idea
- France is nice

Reasons I can think of why you shouldn't:

- McGill is a unique school. Usually when people have a "dream school" it is just romanticizing, and I'd be less sympathetic, but in McGill's case it offers some unique things. So going to Osgoode or whereever because you get dinged at McGill really does change things.
- Teaching English isn't challenging or enriching; it is a long vacation. Which is fine, but not an opportunity. I mean, if McGill is really your dream school, shouldn't the idea of teaching English be kind of bleh in comparison?

Go with your gut. If you really want to risk McGill and go to France to teach English, you'll survive not going to McGill if it doesn't work out. If you can't bear the thought of not going to McGill--and hell, wouldn't it be a real buzz kill worrying about it in France if it is your dream?--then go to law school next year. But I think the threat of not being accepted next year is real, so don't pretend it is an idle threat.

splay

Postby splay » Fri May 14, 2010 1:21 am

You would be batshit crazy to risk losing a spot at McGill. Batshit fucking crazy. If you feel the urge to run off to France, go spend an afternoon wandering around Old Montreal. While spending a year teaching in France would certainly be amazing, I don't think it's worth potentially missing out on McGill. If it was any other school in Canada it wouldn't matter, but seriously dude. McGill. It's my dream school too but I've accepted I'll never get there. Go so I can live vicariously through you, please. :)

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Mon May 17, 2010 2:36 pm

splay wrote:You would be batshit crazy to risk losing a spot at McGill. Batshit fucking crazy. If you feel the urge to run off to France, go spend an afternoon wandering around Old Montreal. While spending a year teaching in France would certainly be amazing, I don't think it's worth potentially missing out on McGill. If it was any other school in Canada it wouldn't matter, but seriously dude. McGill. It's my dream school too but I've accepted I'll never get there. Go so I can live vicariously through you, please. :)

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards now. I can always make time to go to France if I need to, but not being able to go to McGill would devastate me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”