Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Just got an email from this school and believe it or not they are still accepting applications for Fall 2010! They just opened and matriculated their first class last fall and they are unaccredited, but it only costs $33,000 per year to attend. I am thinking about applying. Now before you tell me that this is not a good school, let me make one thing clear - I don't want BIGLAW. I will be perfectly happy making 70-80k per year at a small firm. Worst case scenario I will just work for the government or something. Also I am not an elitist like everyone else on TLS.

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby acdisagod » Tue May 11, 2010 5:37 pm

flame?

Grad09
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby Grad09 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Something doesn't make sense here.

If they are still accepting applications AND you are considering sending an application, then I assume you have a valid LSAT score and undergrad transcripts posted with LSAC. At this point in the year, most applications have received decisions. So, you either
1- applied to law schools and got accepted somewhere
2- applied to law schools and didn't get accepted anywhere
3- did not apply to law school
4- applied to law schools and are dissatisfied with where you got accepted


IF you fall into the 1: go anywhere accredited before going to a non-accredited school IMO. Especially with the disclaimer on the front page of their application telling you they don't guarantee you can sit for the BAR. This is a HUGE concern.

If 2: retake LSAT and reapply

If 3: retake LSAT and reapply

If 4: retake LSAT and reapply


If you are set on law school, I personally don't disagree with a lower-tier school, especially if the LSAT is just killing you. But at least go to an accredited TTT. So you at least KNOW you can TRY to pass the BAR.


Not trying to sound snobbish here, but there is no way I would pay for that school, unless there are other personal considerations in the mix here.

Good Luck.

doomed123
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:05 am

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby doomed123 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Grad09 wrote:Something doesn't make sense here.

If they are still accepting applications AND you are considering sending an application, then I assume you have a valid LSAT score and undergrad transcripts posted with LSAC. At this point in the year, most applications have received decisions. So, you either
1- applied to law schools and got accepted somewhere
2- applied to law schools and didn't get accepted anywhere
3- did not apply to law school
4- applied to law schools and are dissatisfied with where you got accepted


IF you fall into the 1: go anywhere accredited before going to a non-accredited school IMO. Especially with the disclaimer on the front page of their application telling you they don't guarantee you can sit for the BAR. This is a HUGE concern.

If 2: retake LSAT and reapply

If 3: retake LSAT and reapply

If 4: retake LSAT and reapply


If you are set on law school, I personally don't disagree with a lower-tier school, especially if the LSAT is just killing you. But at least go to an accredited TTT. So you at least KNOW you can TRY to pass the BAR.


Not trying to sound snobbish here, but there is no way I would pay for that school, unless there are other personal considerations in the mix here.

Good Luck.


I can't believe you're taking this seriously.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby traehekat » Tue May 11, 2010 7:35 pm

155

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby yo! » Tue May 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Grad09 wrote:Something doesn't make sense here.

If they are still accepting applications AND you are considering sending an application, then I assume you have a valid LSAT score and undergrad transcripts posted with LSAC. At this point in the year, most applications have received decisions. So, you either
1- applied to law schools and got accepted somewhere
2- applied to law schools and didn't get accepted anywhere
3- did not apply to law school
4- applied to law schools and are dissatisfied with where you got accepted


IF you fall into the 1: go anywhere accredited before going to a non-accredited school IMO. Especially with the disclaimer on the front page of their application telling you they don't guarantee you can sit for the BAR. This is a HUGE concern.

If 2: retake LSAT and reapply

If 3: retake LSAT and reapply

If 4: retake LSAT and reapply


If you are set on law school, I personally don't disagree with a lower-tier school, especially if the LSAT is just killing you. But at least go to an accredited TTT. So you at least KNOW you can TRY to pass the BAR.


Not trying to sound snobbish here, but there is no way I would pay for that school, unless there are other personal considerations in the mix here.

Good Luck.


Did he just flame back at the flame? :? okai..now i confused

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby A'nold » Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Actually, this was a great flame. IMPORTANT: I am NOT interested in biglaw, I'm not like you money grubbing jerk-offs. I'd be perfectly happy settling for 80-90k out of school. :)

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby TTH » Tue May 11, 2010 11:09 pm

A'nold wrote:Actually, this was a great flame. IMPORTANT: I am NOT interested in biglaw, I'm not like you money grubbing jerk-offs. I'd be perfectly happy settling for 80-90k out of school. :)


Credited. A good flame is has subtlety beneath its egregious first blast. Like good whiskey. It burns, then you start to taste the small notes.

Masterfully distilled, OP

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 pm

I prefer the word joke, not flame. The point was just - hey look at this hilarious school who is still sending out emails looking for suckers.

User avatar
tadams86
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby tadams86 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 pm

I laughed out loud at the email they sent me, then promptly deleted it from my Blackberry

fnm
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:44 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby fnm » Tue May 11, 2010 11:44 pm

I've heard LMU is pretty good for Biglaw in Bumf*ck Appalachia. If you want SoCal biglaw, look no further than the presteejus Larry H. Layton School of Law:

http://www.vanguardnews.com/layton.htm

And for those that got rejected from UC-Irvine, there's always Irvine University:

http://www.irvineuniversity.edu/

Just say you went to law school at Irvine; no one has to know!

Grad09
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby Grad09 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:45 pm

I have to stop taking people seriously....

Lucidity
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby Lucidity » Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Sad to see honest abe's namesake being bastardize in such a manner ;(

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 12, 2010 5:14 pm

..

User avatar
gilagarta
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby gilagarta » Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Dear Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law,

Thank goodness you contacted me. I mean, here I was, just sitting here feeling sorry for myself thinking, "You know, self, getting accepted by a T1 school is great and all, but what I really want to do is go to a non-accredited, unranked school that's so desperate it's offering admission like candy to students who haven't even applied there a full 3 months after most schools' application deadline!" And then, your email magically appeared.

Consider this my confirmation of attendance. I assume that just hitting "reply" on this email will suffice for my acceptance? Or if you would like, I could send a crayon drawing. This could be good practice for your final exams.

See you in the fall!

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby legalized » Wed May 12, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm laughing at the thought that the school is actually real!

I just found out Hamline is a real school. Saw them on the ABA Guide accredited list!

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby amputatedbrain » Thu May 13, 2010 3:56 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Just got an email from this school and believe it or not they are still accepting applications for Fall 2010! They just opened and matriculated their first class last fall and they are unaccredited, but it only costs $33,000 per year to attend. I am thinking about applying. Now before you tell me that this is not a good school, let me make one thing clear - I don't want BIGLAW. I will be perfectly happy making 70-80k per year at a small firm. Worst case scenario I will just work for the government or something. Also I am not an elitist like everyone else on TLS.


At first I thought you made the school up as part of the joke . . . but the truth is even better

On the LMU law web site, Under application requirements, they just have a short biography of Abraham Lincoln.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
JDO
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby JDO » Fri May 14, 2010 11:05 pm

legalized wrote:I'm laughing at the thought that the school is actually real!

I just found out Hamline is a real school. Saw them on the ABA Guide accredited list!


laughing at Hamline? I just got an acceptance letter from them today. It's there or a tier four school... Is Hamline tier three... Does it even matter?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby A'nold » Sat May 15, 2010 1:35 am

JDO wrote:
legalized wrote:I'm laughing at the thought that the school is actually real!

I just found out Hamline is a real school. Saw them on the ABA Guide accredited list!


laughing at Hamline? I just got an acceptance letter from them today. It's there or a tier four school... Is Hamline tier three... Does it even matter?


Wait.....flame right?

PleasantDays
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 8:42 am

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby PleasantDays » Wed May 23, 2012 8:51 am

I am currently getting my bachelors in environmental science after a paralegal degree at another. We are excited the duncan school of law is here. I have one more year and hope they become accredited, I cringe at the idea of going to UN. Of TN as the school is huge and I've had professors that transferred from there and said their classes had hundreds of students. I love lmu for their caring one one one time. I understand the reason they can't pass their inspection is only in regards to the size of their library, lmu is a private university and relies on their Alumni to make a difference. We are the name sake of one of the most well known attorneys in the world, and we take that seriously and with most humble appreciation.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby Ludo! » Wed May 23, 2012 8:59 am

PleasantDays wrote:I am currently getting my bachelors in environmental science after a paralegal degree at another. We are excited the duncan school of law is here. I have one more year and hope they become accredited, I cringe at the idea of going to UN. Of TN as the school is huge and I've had professors that transferred from there and said their classes had hundreds of students. I love lmu for their caring one one one time. I understand the reason they can't pass their inspection is only in regards to the size of their library, lmu is a private university and relies on their Alumni to make a difference. We are the name sake of one of the most well known attorneys in the world, and we take that seriously and with most humble appreciation.


You necroed a thread started as a joke to tell us you like the school because it's small and was named after a well known attorney? Do you have a job lined up?

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby Kikero » Wed May 23, 2012 9:09 am

It's sort of funny that this thread was brought back up today. I actually spoke with one of LMU's marketing people yesterday (I went to school with her) and apparently they've been getting a lot of shit for having low enrollment this year. Call me crazy, but I think their low enrollment probably has more to do with the fact that they aren't accredited than them not having enough Google ads or mailers.

User avatar
BearState
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby BearState » Wed May 23, 2012 10:10 am

fnm wrote:I've heard LMU is pretty good for Biglaw in Bumf*ck Appalachia. If you want SoCal biglaw, look no further than the presteejus Larry H. Layton School of Law:

http://www.vanguardnews.com/layton.htm

And for those that got rejected from UC-Irvine, there's always Irvine University:

http://www.irvineuniversity.edu/

Just say you went to law school at Irvine; no one has to know!


You have to respect a school that has an official mission, purpose and objective!

http://www.irvineuniversity.edu/index.p ... ge-of-law/

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Lincoln Memorial University-Duncan School of Law

Postby 2014 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
PleasantDays wrote:I am currently getting my bachelors in environmental science after a paralegal degree at another. We are excited the duncan school of law is here. I have one more year and hope they become accredited, I cringe at the idea of going to UN. Of TN as the school is huge and I've had professors that transferred from there and said their classes had hundreds of students. I love lmu for their caring one one one time. I understand the reason they can't pass their inspection is only in regards to the size of their library, lmu is a private university and relies on their Alumni to make a difference. We are the name sake of one of the most well known attorneys in the world, and we take that seriously and with most humble appreciation.


You necroed a thread started as a joke to tell us you like the school because it's small and was named after a well known attorney? Do you have a job lined up?

He's pursuing a bachelors in environmental science so almost assuredly no.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronbursar, Bing [Bot], cooldog, phelpsy, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests