Degree Granting University GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chia99
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Degree Granting University GPA

Postby chia99 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:42 pm

.
Last edited by chia99 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 3:57 pm

No, they report the cumulative GPA.

It will be immensely helpful to have that be higher.

chia99
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby chia99 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:49 am

.
Last edited by chia99 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby Ragged » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 am

chia99 wrote:LSAC told me they report both and the law school decides which to use?


They report both that's right. And the law schools are going to be using cumulative because thats what they have to report to the people who make the rankings. The only things beside cumulative that kind of matter (and I mean matters very very little) with regard to GPA are trends and difficulty of classes.

User avatar
maine08080
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby maine08080 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Ragged wrote:The only things beside cumulative that kind of matter (and I mean matters very very little) with regard to GPA are trends and difficulty of classes.


Really? Maybe, but difficulty probably has less significance than the trend.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby yo! » Thu May 13, 2010 4:05 pm

I wish they would count the degree GPA for something. My degree GPA is 3.98, but my cumulative is only 3.51 because I fucked off in some junior college classes...Oh well, my cycle is over anyway, so I have no reason to bitch.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby Ragged » Thu May 13, 2010 6:23 pm

yo! wrote:I wish they would count the degree GPA for something. My degree GPA is 3.98, but my cumulative is only 3.51 because I fucked off in some junior college classes...Oh well, my cycle is over anyway, so I have no reason to bitch.


Same deal here, although my difference isn't quite so large but it does keep me from getting Summa on my diploma. Stupid duel enrolled program.

maine08080 wrote:
Ragged wrote:The only things beside cumulative that kind of matter (and I mean matters very very little) with regard to GPA are trends and difficulty of classes.


Really? Maybe, but difficulty probably has less significance than the trend.


By difficulty I just meant how tough your major is. 3.5 in electrical engeneering is probably better regarded than 3.5 is buisness administration.

chia99
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby chia99 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:04 am

.
Last edited by chia99 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby tesoro » Fri May 14, 2010 5:46 am

chia99 wrote:If my cumulative is a 3.26 but a battle with senioritis showed downward trend? Will this hurt me when applying?


the 3.26 might hurt you because it's low, but not so much the downward trend.

I had a great cycle and got my first few C's and B-'s during senior year (3.5 cumulative in the end, down from 3.6ish before). Don't stress too much about the downward trend.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby CG614 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:12 am

tesoro wrote:
chia99 wrote:If my cumulative is a 3.26 but a battle with senioritis showed downward trend? Will this hurt me when applying?


the 3.26 might hurt you because it's low, but not so much the downward trend.

I had a great cycle and got my first few C's and B-'s during senior year (3.5 cumulative in the end, down from 3.6ish before). Don't stress too much about the downward trend.


Yeah, but the OP's downward trend is much more noticeable. They went from presumably a 3.5ish in community college to a 2.8 at a four year institution. That may play a roll. I am not sure how big of a roll, but it may play.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby tesoro » Fri May 14, 2010 7:15 am

CG614 wrote:
tesoro wrote:
chia99 wrote:If my cumulative is a 3.26 but a battle with senioritis showed downward trend? Will this hurt me when applying?


the 3.26 might hurt you because it's low, but not so much the downward trend.

I had a great cycle and got my first few C's and B-'s during senior year (3.5 cumulative in the end, down from 3.6ish before). Don't stress too much about the downward trend.


Yeah, but the OP's downward trend is much more noticeable. They went from presumably a 3.5ish in community college to a 2.8 at a four year institution. That may play a roll. I am not sure how big of a roll, but it may play.


You're right. Heh I guess my brain doesn't fully function at 5am. OP- this GPA drop is addendum worthy if you have a good reason.

jswhitley0907
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby jswhitley0907 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:13 pm

what about if my gpa is very low at community college 2.4, and 3.4 at my degree granting university? this has me worried now....

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 3:15 pm

jswhitley0907 wrote:what about if my gpa is very low at community college 2.4, and 3.4 at my degree granting university? this has me worried now....



Yup, all classes will be counted. Its a fact many prospective law students have to grieve about but ultimately accept.

jswhitley0907
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby jswhitley0907 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:17 pm

will it just count the classes that went to my degree? because alot of classes didnt transfer

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby beef wellington » Sat May 22, 2010 3:22 pm

jswhitley0907 wrote:will it just count the classes that went to my degree? because alot of classes didnt transfer

LSAC will count them all.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat May 22, 2010 3:23 pm

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby beef wellington » Sat May 22, 2010 3:29 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:They count every grade. Even if the classes didn't transfer to your university, even if you retook etc. I have a 3.98 degree GPA and a 3.2 cumulative. Sucks, but you just have to deal with it.

You and I are terrifying case studies in how little degree-granting GPA matters.

User avatar
bmercado
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby bmercado » Sat May 22, 2010 3:33 pm

i had the same concerns, and nobody that ive asked has been able to answer my question. I did not really take my community college days too seriously and ended up getting a 3.2. Now at my 4 year, i have a 3.7 GPA. I was just wondering if the upward trend was going to help me out during the admissions process or if it would end up coming back and biting me in the ass??? Or would it depend on my entire application (such as personal statement, resume, etc.) to get a holistic view of myself as a student and then they could use their own discretion from there??? This has me very worried because I was not even considering law a couple years ago (or even taking school too seriously) and now it has the potential of haunting me forever...

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat May 22, 2010 3:40 pm

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby autarkh » Sat May 22, 2010 3:41 pm

In my case, it mattered. A lot. I have a dramatic split though (~3.0 cumulative / ~4.0 degree.)

I've been waitlisted and accepted at several places where numbers alone would dictated auto-rejections.

Among the acceptances is splitter-unfriendly school notorious for its GPA whoring. I have a good LSAT score, but there's no way in hell I would have gotten a second look without my degree GPA.

User avatar
bmercado
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby bmercado » Sat May 22, 2010 3:43 pm

so i guess im stuck hoping for the best???? lol...

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby beef wellington » Sat May 22, 2010 3:43 pm

autarkh wrote:In my case, it mattered. A lot. I have a dramatic split though (~3.0 cumulative / ~4.0 degree.)

I've been waitlisted and accepted at several places where numbers alone would dictated auto-rejections.

Among the acceptances is splitter-unfriendly school notorious for its GPA whoring. I have a good LSAT score, but there's no way in hell I would have gotten a second look without my degree GPA.

There are exceptions--I'm on one waitlist I have no business being on. The rest of my results are completely in line with my UGPA though. You certainly can't count on anything, just hope you get lucky and catch an adcomm in a good mood.

User avatar
bmercado
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: Degree Granting University GPA

Postby bmercado » Sat May 22, 2010 3:55 pm

so, in this case would attaching an addendum be the best thing to do?? And what kinds of things go into an addendum, in respects to this situation???




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashterlily, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], KFCfamousbowlz and 8 guests