What makes you think you would enjoy law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jacko

What makes you think you would enjoy law school?

Postby jacko » Tue May 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Everyone talks about how miserable both law school and practicing law is so I'm curious to hear why posters on this board still feel like they want to pursue a career in law.

SaintClarence27

Re: What makes you think you would enjoy law school?

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 pm

jacko wrote:Everyone talks about how miserable both law school and practicing law is so I'm curious to hear why posters on this board still feel like they want to pursue a career in law.

$$$$

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue May 11, 2010 1:06 pm

jacko wrote:Everyone talks about how miserable both law school and practicing law is so I'm curious to hear why posters on this board still feel like they want to pursue a career in law.

In about 15 minutes, my prep hour will be over, and 30 loud, hormonal 15-year-olds will trounce into my room ready to give me attitude for deigning to share Othello with them. THAT's how I know I will enjoy law school - intellectual stimulation, the freedom to not associate with people I dislike, not working full-time...

...I would also venture a guess that 90% of those who complain about law school went there directly after college, so they don't have life experience to make them grateful for full-time education yet. Also, part of their personal culture for the past 5 or so years has been complaining about final exams.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue May 11, 2010 1:08 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:

$$$$

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue May 11, 2010 1:08 pm

pugalicious wrote:

In about 15 minutes, my prep hour will be over, and 30 loud, hormonal 15-year-olds will trounce into my room ready to give me attitude for deigning to share Othello with them. THAT's how I know I will enjoy law school - intellectual stimulation, the freedom to not associate with people I dislike, not working full-time...

...I would also venture a guess that 90% of those who complain about law school went there directly after college, so they don't have life experience to make them grateful for full-time education yet. Also, part of their personal culture for the past 5 or so years has been complaining about final exams.

+1, So glad I took two years off. I cant wait to only concentrate on my education and move on with my life.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Did you read your statements before you wrote them? Your statements are contradictory.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:11 pm

things i like:

-discussing ideas
-arguing
-winning
-pwning n00bs

things i dislike:

-killing time in UG for a degree that has no practical value

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm

1L was a fucking blast. Then again I was an engineer, so this was literally way more fun than UG for me. :lol:

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:30 pm

jayn3 wrote:things i like:

-discussing ideas
-arguing
-winning
-pwning n00bs

things i dislike:

+100

AsylumPB

Postby AsylumPB » Tue May 11, 2010 1:31 pm

pugalicious wrote:

I know how you feel about the life experience part. I have been out of UG for three years doing mind-numbing customer service shit. There is no opportunity to move up since there is a promotion freeze for the past year and a shit-slinging monkey could do my job. Law school will at least give me a challenge to look forward to and keep my mind busy.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 1:33 pm

AsylumPB wrote:
pugalicious wrote:

I know how you feel about the life experience part. I have been out of UG for three years doing mind-numbing customer service shit. There is no opportunity to move up since there is a promotion freeze for the past year and a shit-slinging monkey could do my job. Law school will at least give me a challenge to look forward to and keep my mind busy.

My sentiments exactly!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 3:58 pm

Because I feel I will be good at it, it's a family thing, and it can't possibly be worse than my previous job.

patat

Postby patat » Tue May 11, 2010 4:11 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:

Did you read your statements before you wrote them? Your statements are contradictory.

I regret to inform you that your own advice is contradictory.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:30 am

rayiner wrote:

1L was a fucking blast. Then again I was an engineer, so this was literally way more fun than UG for me. :lol:

Just curious. What did you do to get a blast out of it?

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Thu May 13, 2010 4:43 am

jayn3 wrote:things i like:

-discussing ideas
-arguing
-winning
-pwning n00bs

things i dislike:

Of the things you like, only pwning n00bs is a remote possibility in law school, and that's one of those things where you'll be one of the only ones who really cares in the first place if you really think of it as 'pwning noobs.' Discussing ideas, arguing, winning--none of these will be done in law school. It will be more like

-barely paying attention in class
-memorizing outline
-taking practice exams
-memorizing bluebook provisions

yeah....you're in for a rude awakening.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu May 13, 2010 5:12 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:

$$$$

Raises an issue. iBankers make waaaaay more loot. An established ibanker can bonus the yearly earnings of a corporate lawyer.

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Thu May 13, 2010 6:33 am

I enjoy studying for 5-6 hours a day instead of hanging out with people.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 13, 2010 7:28 am

What makes you think you would enjoy law school? Who said I did?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 am

PDaddy wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

$$$$

Raises an issue. iBankers make waaaaay more loot. An established ibanker can bonus the yearly earnings of a corporate lawyer.

Yeah, but the hours for iBankers suck.

tsub

Postby tsub » Thu May 13, 2010 8:28 am

pugalicious wrote:

This is my morning prep, and I'm about to go into a room of second graders and work with a group that will honestly wonder why it is necessary to be able to count to 100. After working/going to class for 12-15 hours a day (granted, I am done with class so I only work like 8 now) and explaining why 1+1 does not and will not ever equal "dinosaur," law school will be a welcome change. I can't wait to let my brain breathe again.

Cheers to you, teacher buddy.

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Thu May 13, 2010 8:40 am

I'm doing it for the freedom. IMO, a law degree (nearly) provides the job security of a CPA with (almost) the earning potential of an MBA and the (relative) freedom to change sectors/locales without too much difficulty. That said, I'm also not aiming for BigLaw, so my reasoning won't apply to many of the folks here.

As for "what makes me think I would enjoy law school", I'm not naive enough to think I'll enjoy it. My magic 8 ball says that I won't, and that damn thing always tells the truth. Practicing law is a different story, and I've worked/hung out with enough attorneys to think there's a better life after LS.

pugalicious wrote:In about 15 minutes, my prep hour will be over, and 30 loud, hormonal 15-year-olds will trounce into my room ready to give me attitude for deigning to share Othello with them.

Why are you punishing those children? Aren't the trials and tribulations of puberty enough without meaningless analysis of Shakespeare? :lol:

psychomohel

Postby psychomohel » Thu May 13, 2010 8:46 am

tsub wrote:
pugalicious wrote:

This is my morning prep, and I'm about to go into a room of second graders and work with a group that will honestly wonder why it is necessary to be able to count to 100. After working/going to class for 12-15 hours a day (granted, I am done with class so I only work like 8 now) and explaining why 1+1 does not and will not ever equal "dinosaur," law school will be a welcome change. I can't wait to let my brain breathe again.

Cheers to you, teacher buddy.

I am right now giving a final to a bunch of kids who are whining that they never learned this. They might have if they had shown up for the 4th quarter. I'd like to do something other than teach arithmetic to 18 year olds who yell at me for trying to make them think.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”