Boston University Sticker

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clseller

Boston University Sticker

Postby clseller » Mon May 10, 2010 8:52 pm

BU is my only option. I withdrew from my other options and sent in my first deposit to BU. I'm on two waitlists(one school in the t10, the other is a t20).

My question:

Is BU worth sticker?

I definitely want to be a lawyer.

I am on a "waitlist" for financial aid so I have not been offered any money. The financial aid dept. said if aid becomes available they will give me a scholarship.

I ask if it is worth sticker because I keep hearing about how bad the job market will be for most graduates outside the t14 for the next few years. I have a decent amount of undergrad debt(30k), and putting myself a lot further in the hole makes me a little uneasy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

clseller

Re: Boston University Sticker

Postby clseller » Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 pm

...I'm also looking to apply for scholarships from outside sources if anyone can recommend some.

zozin

Postby zozin » Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Last edited by zozin on Sat May 22, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Mon May 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Your thread is far to on-topic to grace the halls of the "off-topic" forum

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon May 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Grad09

Postby Grad09 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:44 pm

If you want to be a lawyer no matter what, then you should theoretically be willing to pay sticker everywhere....

ok, seriously now, BU is amazing. I went there for undergrad. I had such a good undergrad experience that I would pay sticker SOLELY on quality of life. Now, combined with a solid legal education and one of the best faculties in the business, this is a no-brainer.

Granted, I'm assuming you want to work in Boston and public interest is something you wouldn't mind doing. LRAPs/IBR is amazing for those who can't make it in to Goodwin & Proctor. If you are biglaw or bust, pray for your t10 waitlist I guess. Either way, BU is the shit. Don't be stingy with your education-- you're being stingy on yourself. And, if anyone should rock Prada, its you.

Good Luck.

matty

Postby matty » Mon May 10, 2010 10:51 pm

Grad09 wrote:ok, seriously now, BU is amazing. this is a no-brainer.
Good Luck.

Taking out $180,000 in loans is a "no-brainer." Hah...I've missed this site. Btw, they don't just hand out good PI jobs these days either. Those are extremely competitive.
My opinion: I wouldn't do it, but i wouldn't pay sticker anywhere except T14, probably T10 even, so take it for what its worth.

clseller

Postby clseller » Mon May 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Hey thanks for the advice so far guys.

...and yes I did accidentally create this thread in the wrong forum so I recreated it in the Choosing a law school forum. Now it's been moved to the Admissions forum so there are two of these threads. Sorry for the redundancy.

tru

Postby tru » Mon May 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

clseller

Postby clseller » Mon May 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:What do you mean by worth it? If the value of the BU degree guarantees your original investment + profit after a reasonable number of years, then sure.

But if you're forgoing some good schools and scholarship that is right for you based on rankings, then no.

I mean do you think I will be able to find decent work(doesn't have to be big law or even mid law) coming out of BU. It is worth it to me if I can find decent work. I don't want to be stuck reviewing documents. I keep hearing that the t14 is the only way to go, and that I won't find a decent job if I go elsewhere.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon May 10, 2010 11:33 pm

clseller wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:What do you mean by worth it? If the value of the BU degree guarantees your original investment + profit after a reasonable number of years, then sure.

But if you're forgoing some good schools and scholarship that is right for you based on rankings, then no.

I mean do you think I will be able to find decent work(doesn't have to be big law or even mid law) coming out of BU. It is worth it to me if I can find decent work. I don't want to be stuck reviewing documents. I keep hearing that the t14 is the only way to go, and that I won't find a decent job if I go elsewhere.

You just said that you will be satisfied with any sort of legal work short of document review. So you most certainly shouldn't be taken in by that "T-14 or bust" mentality. To someone who wants to become a SCOTUS clerk or law professor, or perhaps a partner at a top firm, then sure it is T-14 or bust. But for a large majority of people, that isn't the case. BU can most certainly set you up for a good job once you graduate, assuming you do relatively well (doing poorly anywhere is a deathwish right now). Whether it is "worth" sticker price is entirely up to you. If becoming a lawyer is your dream, you like the Northeast region, and can stomach the idea of very high debt, then sure, BU may be a wonderful choice for you.

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Mon May 10, 2010 11:55 pm

Right now the legal job market is at an all time low. Everyone is having a hard time finding jobs, even people at t14s and experienced attorneys. If you are worried about debt and job prospects, the best advice I can give is to hold off on law school until the dust settles and the economy recovers. Also, if getting a scholarship is important to you, you might want to try to get a higher LSAT score to increase your changes of getting $.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”