Applying in December (Stanford/Yale)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

Applying in December (Stanford/Yale)

Postby rundoxierun » Mon May 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Anyone have any idea about if there is an adverse effect from applying lateish to these schools in particular? I received my grades for this semester and after calculating my gpa I realized I have a chance to cross the mythical 3.7 line but it would require my December grades. The gpa would go from 3.66->3.71 if I got a 4.0 (I have done so for 4 consecutive semesters). Worth the wait??

merichard87

Re: Applying in December (Stanford/Yale)

Postby merichard87 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Yale specifically states that applying at varying times during the admissions cycle will not affect admission chances. Idk about Stanford.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon May 10, 2010 5:44 pm

I don't know if it's worth the wait for those schools. You are going to be well below the median for both even with the increase, so it's going to be something other than your GPA that gets you in....

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon May 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Stanford seemed to front-load acceptances this year (lots of us heard in December, it seemed, compared to the rest of the year). Yale, well, they say it really doesn't matter, and I believe them.

I think Adameus is right; you're below median at both, so waiting won't really help (and, if anything, an upward-grade trend is a great LOCI topic for the WL). Apply to SLS as soon as you can; I think I sent mine the last week of Oct, and thought that was too late.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon May 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Hmm.. I had heard Stanford was pretty slow with the acceptances but I did see a mass of Dec. acceptances on LSN.. I wish I could just flat out ask them if they would accept me as is or if I should wait til fall grades come out. Why cant this crap just be more transparent..

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon May 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Regardless of what the adcomms may say, the general rule is earlier the better. Personally I'd rather submit earlier than possibly have a .05 GPA bump. Take the sure thing and apply early.

yeff

Postby yeff » Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Cheer up! Your GPA is most likely too low either way.

Both these schools are GPA sticklers of the highest order. You have a better shot at Harvard, probably, if you can nail a 177+.

http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?sort=gpa_lsdas&order=desc&p=4

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?sort=gpa_lsdas&order=desc&p=5...

Still worth a shot, but...

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon May 10, 2010 9:15 pm

yeff wrote:Cheer up! Your GPA is most likely too low either way.

Both these schools are GPA sticklers of the highest order. You have a better shot at Harvard, probably, if you can nail a 177+.

http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?sort=gpa_lsdas&order=desc&p=4

http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?sort=gpa_lsdas&order=desc&p=5...

Still worth a shot, but...

God thats a crazy stark picture.. I think Im gonna go ahead get my statements ready and plan on applying early october/late september. Unfortunately, lsn doesnt really help me as much at HYS because my combination of numbers doesnt really exist(177/3.66 URM but not from HYP/Top 5 LAC).

yeff

Postby yeff » Mon May 10, 2010 11:25 pm

URM? A bit of a game-changer to leave out, no?

Checking your profile and other posts......

Yep, this fits:

Nom Sawyer wrote:you... are... a... AA... male with a good GPA and a 177

Yes, the boost is likely to be greater for reverse splitters than splitters (which at this level, you are). But the crazy stark picture changes a lot with the URM status.

I might apply at the opening bell for Stanford and wait for your grades to bump for Yale. As was mentioned, you won't be crossing any median lines.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”