What should I focus on in regard to GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoldGator22

What should I focus on in regard to GPA?

Postby GoldGator22 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:25 am

I had a pretty drastic change in grades after my first year at the University, I'm not even 100% myself what caused it; working a night job, maturity, or a change in major/career path (started out pre-med).

At the end of my first year I had a 2.9 UGPA (a C in Spanish, a 5 credit course - the course was at 7:30am 5 days a week, and I'd usually go to class right after working a night job... Also had a C+ in Calculus 2; was orignally an astronomy major). But since that first year I've gotten nearly all A's in everything. I haven't just been taking fluff courses either, I've taken classes in Neuroscience, Comparative Politics, etc.

So after 2 years of nearly all As with the occasional B+/B my UGPA is 3.54. - with an upper division GPA of 3.8.

How forgiving will law schools be towards my GPA?
Should I include an addendum? And if so, which aspect should I primarily attribute the grade shift to (if I'm not 100% myself)?
Think I'd still be competitive for NYU or Columbia with a 174+ LSAT?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot, I've just been obsessing a bit over the admissions process lately. But thank you very much in advance for any responses! Your help is greatly appreciated!

gwuorbust

Re: What should I focus on in regard to GPA?

Postby gwuorbust » Mon May 10, 2010 9:52 am

so you fucked up your first two years, not really much you can do about that. come back when you have a real LSAT score.. LSAT should be the only thing on your mind right now.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Mon May 10, 2010 10:00 am

3.5x isn't a terrible GPA. Get a 170+ and you'll have a shot at lower T14s. 172+ for a shot at MVP. 174+ for a shot at CCN. Your GPA will be below median everywhere, so your score needs to be above median to merit serious consideration.

yeff

Postby yeff » Mon May 10, 2010 10:02 am

If you're unsure of the reason, don't bother with an addendum, especially since it was early in college - such a pattern is very normal and folks often greatly overestimate the uniqueness of an upward trend.

That said, your a 3.54 is workable for almost every school (except YHS and sorta Berkeley). In any case, if you're under one 25th you should aim to be above the other 75th - that means 174-176. So yeah, you'd be competitive with 174+.

Thus:

gwuorbust wrote:so you fucked up your first two years, not really much you can do about that. come back when you have a real LSAT score.. LSAT should be the only thing on your mind right now.

Weez

Postby Weez » Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 am

No need to stress. A 174+ is a cakewalk.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”