2 years of UG only - will it hurt my chance? (UK applicant)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xqhp82

2 years of UG only - will it hurt my chance? (UK applicant)

Postby xqhp82 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:58 pm

I'm applying from the UK, problem is we only have 3 years for undergrad, if i want to go to law school straight after graduation i will have to apply this cycle which will only include 2 years' grades. im not sure if this makes things even worse, but generally first year grades are also not counted into our final graduate average. and similarly i'll only have extra-cirricular experiences for two years....will this hurt my chance of getting into a top school? or will the adcom take into consideration the fact that our UG system is 3 years rather than 4? i want to know if there's anyone here with similar experience
Last edited by xqhp82 on Sun May 09, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horace2010

Re: 2 years of UG only - will it hurt my chance?

Postby Horace2010 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:03 pm

Friendly suggestion; put "UK applicant" in your subject line. You'll get more views and responses from people who have been in your situation.

xqhp82

Re: 2 years of UG only - will it hurt my chance? (UK applicant)

Postby xqhp82 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:08 pm

thanks and done the change!

Hammurabi

Postby Hammurabi » Sun May 09, 2010 5:20 pm

UK applicant as well. Little matters except getting your LSAT above your target schools' median lsat scores. As long as you have a 2:1 your uni marks will not matter, nor will any other soft factors, i.e., work experience, extra-curricular, etc.

edit: btw I applied this cycle with 2 years of marks.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Sun May 09, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm from the US but went to UK for undergrad. Basically, the above poster is exactly right -- your grades aren't going to matter very much unless they are very good (for example, a first) or not great (2:2). If you have a 2:1, your LSAT will basically be it. LSAC will evaluate your transcript (all your grades, including first year, as annoying as that is), and give you a mark of 'below average' (third), 'average' (2:2), 'above average' (2:1), and 'superior' (first). I reckon that borderline marks will be a tossup. I don't think you'll get into HYS w/ a 2:1, but I'd be surprised if you didn't have a shot at CCN and below with a decent 2:1.

Do well on your LSAT, have a decent soft or two, and put together a good app. Are you applying this coming fall? Seems like we'll have to do a UK applicants thread.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Sun May 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Hammurabi wrote:UK applicant as well. Little matters except getting your LSAT above your target schools' median lsat scores. As long as you have a 2:1 your uni marks will not matter, nor will any other soft factors, i.e., work experience, extra-curricular, etc.

How did your cycle go? Would you be willing to PM me w/ your LSAT and cycle results? Or did you use LSN. Thanks!

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm American but went to a UK undergrad so I can speak from experience on this one. I applied last cycle and this cycle. Last cycle I only had the first 2 years of marks. This year I obviously had all 3. I didn't have any issues last year and had some good LS options but decided to take the year off. The above posters are correct. Your LSAT is crucial and as long as you have a 2:1 you seem to be okay. With that said, because schools only have the one number (your LSAT) to go on, you really have to tailor your PS and application to each school. Also, don't expect significant scholarship money unless you apply to schools where your LSAT is above the 75th percentile. Work very hard on the LSAT.

These thoughts are just based on my experiences over the past two cycles though.

Hammurabi

Postby Hammurabi » Sun May 09, 2010 6:04 pm

cigrainger wrote:
Hammurabi wrote:UK applicant as well. Little matters except getting your LSAT above your target schools' median lsat scores. As long as you have a 2:1 your uni marks will not matter, nor will any other soft factors, i.e., work experience, extra-curricular, etc.

How did your cycle go? Would you be willing to PM me w/ your LSAT and cycle results? Or did you use LSN. Thanks!

pm sent

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:07 pm

so do you guys reckon the adcoms will look at the break-down of scores on the transcript in addition to the LSAC mark?

one of my module grade got screwed up by my professor, he gave me a low 2:1 so that sort of significally pulls down my overall..if i can push it back up to the upper 2:1 i do hope the schools will see it instead of just treating me as another average applicant!

i think a UK applicants would be great! i actually started one a while ago but nobody seems to respond to it so it died out lol.

i would like to know how did ur cycle go as well Hammurabi

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Mon May 10, 2010 1:39 am

I applied with 1 year of grades.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon May 10, 2010 2:38 pm

I think it would because law schools seem to favor experience and maturity and DAMN 2 years of undergrad is not a lot.

But I bet the international exposure would be a plus, and if the school is good (Oxford? etc?) that's got to be a plus too. I am sure that not having a GPA must be a negative, because the schools cannot precisely weigh you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”