Starting law school with a newborn Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
musicfor18

Silver

Re: Starting law school with a newborn

Post by musicfor18 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:33 am

legalized wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
legalized wrote:

I mean, I personally decided to try and get a full scholarship or close to it (unless I'm going to a T10) and fit the rest of it inside student loans. However, it sounds to me like the OP is not getting a full scholarship or even 3/4, else he would already know where his money is coming from and this thread wouldn't exist. So that is why I gave the options.
I did get a few full scholarship offers, but decided to go to a better school on a half-tuition scholarship. In any case, it really isn't relevant to this thread. Loans can only cover up to the official Cost of Attendance minus any scholarship given. This Cost of Attendance cannot include living expenses for family members (student only). So, even with a full ride, I would still only be eligible for loans to cover my own living expenses and would still be searching for a way to support my family during school.
Already spoke with director of financial aid. Cannot get an increase for living expenses for family members. Only for childcare if my wife chooses to go back to work.

It can include expenses for a dependent child, since students cannot take children to class.

It is budgeted to cover housing, transportation, and food and related expenses like a computer that are all part of attending the school.

Talk to the Dean of Student Affairs or the Director of Financial Aid. I found out too late in UG that they could adjust budgets upward (didn't know that before) so I always had to live with just the maximum federal aid I qualified for (which wasn't always the max possible depending on what semester it was and what else was going on with me). But I had a full scholarship so that helped out a lot.
I spoke to the director of fin. aid. No increase will be given for living expenses for family members. Only possibility is for childcare expenses.
Last edited by musicfor18 on Thu May 13, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 am

From last night's Modern Family:

"Just to be clear, I’m not condoning eating your kids but I sure as heck know why giraffes do it."

Janus

New

Post by Janus » Thu May 13, 2010 1:23 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
legalized wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
legalized wrote:

I mean, I personally decided to try and get a full scholarship or close to it (unless I'm going to a T10) and fit the rest of it inside student loans. However, it sounds to me like the OP is not getting a full scholarship or even 3/4, else he would already know where his money is coming from and this thread wouldn't exist. So that is why I gave the options.
I did get a few full scholarship offers, but decided to go to a better school on a half-tuition scholarship. In any case, it really isn't relevant to this thread. Loans can only cover up to the official Cost of Attendance minus any scholarship given. This Cost of Attendance cannot include living expenses for family members (student only). So, even with a full ride, I would still only be eligible for loans to cover my own living expenses and would still be searching for a way to support my family during school.
Already spoke with director of financial aid. Cannot get an increase for living expenses for family members. Only for childcare if my wife chooses to go back to work.

It can include expenses for a dependent child, since students cannot take children to class.

It is budgeted to cover housing, transportation, and food and related expenses like a computer that are all part of attending the school.

Talk to the Dean of Student Affairs or the Director of Financial Aid. I found out too late in UG that they could adjust budgets upward (didn't know that before) so I always had to live with just the maximum federal aid I qualified for (which wasn't always the max possible depending on what semester it was and what else was going on with me). But I had a full scholarship so that helped out a lot.
I spoke to the director of fin. aid. No increase will be given for living expenses for family members. Only possibility is for childcare expenses.
I really feel like the answer here is to try to get into the family housing on campus (at most schools it seems to be affordable b/c they know what you have to live on) and possibly seek some public assistance the first semester. Then when the baby is 2-3 months old find a nice childcare center (maybe one affiliated with the school if they have opennings) and put the baby in daycare so you can get an increase on your COA. Then, your wife can take on some part-time or full-time work to add some extra income. She doesn't have to make as much as the daycare costs because you can take the daycare costs in loans. Now, if she can make enough to cover the daycare and more, you can eventually reduce your loans.

I'll be upping my COA by about $10,000-12,000 for daycare and commuting expenses.
Last edited by Janus on Thu May 13, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
legalized wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
legalized wrote:

lol but that's exactly what I'm telling you to get it for. There is no other reason they need to give it to you, having a wife is not a reason for an increase, having a child is. I guess you misunderstood what i was saying. I thought your school wasn't giving it to you even with a child.

Childcare expenses are the majority of the concern with a newborn when it comes to money. I know in the DC metro a 6 week old will easily cost $270-$320 a WEEK. AND there is a long waiting list!

That's the other thing, do not wait until your child is born to research and get on the waiting list for a good daycare center in case the home daycare options don't pan out. Get your unborn child on the list now, all the need is your name and that you are looking for a space for a 6 week old starting (pick the date).

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 8:33 am

Dumb.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Thu May 27, 2010 9:12 am

Late to the party here, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway.

My daughter was 6 months old when I started law school last August. My husband has been deployed, so I was essentially playing the part of a single mom. I was really lucky, however, in that I chose to go to school near my parents. I had a built in support system so that my mom could watch my daughter when I needed to study. I also prioritized my time at school -- two days a week I stayed really late to get ahead on reading/outlining/whatever, so that I could focus on my girl the other five days of the week when I was at home.

Prior to starting law school, I worked a full-time job as an Army officer. My daughter was in daycare starting at 8 weeks. For those concerned about breastfeeding, technology is a wonderful thing -- breastpumps and refrigerators make it easy to feed your kid like...uhm...nature intended even though he or she is in daycare. I also made sure to put her in a center that was only a couple of blocks from my office -- that way I could visit her during the day.

Having young kids while in school is absolutely doable, you just have to be flexible and to prioritize. When you're home, BE home -- your wife will need some time off from the baby, and you'll want to spend time with her yourself. When you get home from school, maybe you can work out a plan where you take the kid for a couple of hours. When I was at home on maternity leave (and later, terminal leave before I started school) there were days when I had so much to do between taking care of the baby and taking care of the house that I didn't get a shower until my husband came home. When he walked in the door, it was AMAZING on those days when he'd picked up dinner on his way home, or gave me some time to go to the gym or just take an hour to have to myself.

Once I started school, on the days that I came home straight after classes, I'd usually get home around 4. Sophie goes to bed at 8, so I'd take four hours to feed her dinner, play with her, give her a bath, read her a story, etc. We'd play, watch a little TV, and then I'd put her to bed. Once she was down, I'd go study until 11pm or midnight. I'd get up about 6 to make it into school, and she'd usually get up with me -- I'd give her a bottle and settle her back down, but that was another hour that I got to spend with her during the week. On the weekends, she was my priority -- I'd study before she got up in the morning, during her naps, and once she was asleep, but my schedule worked around hers.

It's doable, and it's probably easier when they're young, because they aren't really old enough to notice that you're gone. Sophie's 15 months now, and she's actually having a harder time with me dropping her at daycare than she did when she was younger.

Good luck, and congratulations! I love being a parent!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”