LOR asking time period? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

Bronze

LOR asking time period?

Post by sangr » Sun May 09, 2010 6:40 am

I recently felt rushed and e-mailed a professor about writing an LOR for me. He said he would
and asked for the relevent materials, etc.

I recently graduated (january '10) and was planning on applying for this upcoming fall cycle. However
I'm reconsidering and thinking of working for a year (or it could be two since if i apply next year then that
means ill wait two whole years before i enter law school).

Putting all this into consideration, should I postpone his writing of my LOR until I get more credentials (working at a law firm, etc)....from what i know my work experiencee shouldnt even matter but the professor is doing things like asking for my resume and such.. im a bit flustered as to how i should go about this.

also..

2) for those of you who took the oct LSAT, or will....how did it affect your cycle? im in contemplation because Im
leaning towards the october LSAT and by the time it comes out itll be near november..and I really dont plan on working on my application (PS, etc) until AFTER lsats.....how does this work in terms of scholarship money, acceptance,etc.

thanks!

Rand M.

Silver

Re: LOR asking time period?

Post by Rand M. » Sun May 09, 2010 7:23 am

sangr wrote:I recently felt rushed and e-mailed a professor about writing an LOR for me. He said he would
and asked for the relevent materials, etc.

I recently graduated (january '10) and was planning on applying for this upcoming fall cycle. However
I'm reconsidering and thinking of working for a year (or it could be two since if i apply next year then that
means ill wait two whole years before i enter law school).

Putting all this into consideration, should I postpone his writing of my LOR until I get more credentials (working at a law firm, etc)....from what i know my work experiencee shouldnt even matter but the professor is doing things like asking for my resume and such.. im a bit flustered as to how i should go about this.

also..

2) for those of you who took the oct LSAT, or will....how did it affect your cycle? im in contemplation because Im
leaning towards the october LSAT and by the time it comes out itll be near november..and I really dont plan on working on my application (PS, etc) until AFTER lsats.....how does this work in terms of scholarship money, acceptance,etc.

thanks!
W/r/t your first question it is best to get the LOR while you still have a connection. You can get other letter writers to speak to all the new credentials you will have (a boss at a potential law firm, etc.)

As far as your second question, if you're taking the OCT LSAT and still want to get your application in early, you really ought to get the application materials together beforehand. I took the October test and had all my applications sent out within three days after the score came out. If you were taking the JUNE test, it might be okay to wait, but for the OCT test, if you wait, your application starts to move into 'late territory.' Writing your PS should be a somewhat long process, if nothing else, it seems like you would be forced to rush the writing.

That said, you have to do what is best for you. If there are reasons that you just have to do things a certain way, then that's that. But applying as early as possible can give you real advantages.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”