Can a schlly/offer of admissions be withdrawn for grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Illini372

Can a schlly/offer of admissions be withdrawn for grades?

Postby Illini372 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:03 pm

A buddy of mine just got into dental school and his offer of admission isn't complete until he reports senior year grades, and those grades must not deviate too greatly from his cumulative for his offer to stand. How do law schools look at 8th semester grades? Can a scholly or offer go out the window if they suck?

Illini372

Re: Can a schlly/offer of admissions be withdrawn for grades?

Postby Illini372 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:12 pm

bump, anyone?

colemf

Postby colemf » Sat May 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Last edited by colemf on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Dental school is substantially different.

As long as you have sent in your LSDAS... they won't ask you to update it again until after you have been admitted (and that's only if you choose to go there). Basically, if you're applying from undergrad, only 6 or 7 semesters worth of grades are going to count unless you update it. Usually you would only update it if it would help you. The USNWR rankings go off of whatever the LSDAS report says. Hope that helps.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Sat May 08, 2010 11:40 pm

I would think failing to graduate is a definite issue though.

colemf

Postby colemf » Sat May 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Yea, but the school at which I will be attending requires i send them and LSAC my final transcript, so wouldn't the ranking use my final GPA and thus wouldn't my school care what is on my final transcript?

Illini372

Postby Illini372 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:10 am

My situation is comparable to the above poster, I've accepted an offer of admission, I know my cumulative GPA will undoubtedly go down, and I know the school wants a final transcript postmarked before august 1st. I never read anything about the offer or my scholarship being dependent upon anything I do after I was admitted as long as I graduate, but I guess I wanted to know if anyone in the forum had information about what happened if their grades were garbage senior year. Nothing? Reduced or no scholly? Admission revoked? I've never heard anything about it but thought I'd see if anyone had firsthand experience.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 09, 2010 2:56 am

Illini372 wrote:My situation is comparable to the above poster, I've accepted an offer of admission, I know my cumulative GPA will undoubtedly go down, and I know the school wants a final transcript postmarked before august 1st. I never read anything about the offer or my scholarship being dependent upon anything I do after I was admitted as long as I graduate, but I guess I wanted to know if anyone in the forum had information about what happened if their grades were garbage senior year. Nothing? Reduced or no scholly? Admission revoked? I've never heard anything about it but thought I'd see if anyone had firsthand experience.

A final transcript from your school? Or a final updated LSDAS form? There is a huge difference. If it's an updated LSDAS form (meaning you would need to mail your final transcript to LSAC all over again), then there might be some cause for concern. But every law school will ask for a transcript, unless the one you already sent to LSAC shows that you had already received a Bachelor's at the time of applying.

All ABA law schools want a final transcript because they need it in order to let you attend there. It is required that all law students have a Bachelor's degree first.

But to answer your question... if you are already admitted, and they have already given you an agreed upon amount of money, I find it extraordinarily unlikely that anything will change. They just want a transcript like any other law school would.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun May 09, 2010 11:00 am

I doubt it'll be a problem unless you completely fail and don't graduate or something. Just like undergrad. Slack at your discretion.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:46 am

Michigan is making me send an updated transcript to prove graduation even though I already graduated. They said it was an ABA requirement to receive an official transcript and the LSAC ones aren't official. They don't even want the ones from others schools I've attended...just one proving graduation. I doubt they care all that much.

Illini372

Postby Illini372 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm inclined to think they do it as a formality as well, obviously if you're accepted to a school they believe in your capabilities, I mean we're all human, I felt this semester was a reprieve after putting together those apps, adcomms we're young once as well.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:10 pm

I am pretty sure schools reserve the right to rescind admission for bad academic performance your last semester (I know many colleges do this). That said, I think you would have to do pretty badly (think: straight Cs) to have anything actually happen. If you get a couple of Bs and drop below their medians that won't do it.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun May 09, 2010 2:12 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I am pretty sure schools reserve the right to rescind admission for bad academic performance your last semester (I know many colleges do this). That said, I think you would have to do pretty badly (think: straight Cs) to have anything actually happen. If you get a couple of Bs and drop below their medians that won't do it.

Is this true? I asked Northwestern if they would rescind if I got bad grades this semester or even failed a class or got incompletes (was a worst case scenario, this stuff won't be happening) and they said they reserved the right to rescind admission and scholarship in the case of serious issues like felonies, but they had confidence in my ability to successfully finish undergrad. Was kind of ambiguous and ominous, but I think they were pretty much telling me that as long as I finish I'm fine.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun May 09, 2010 2:20 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:I am pretty sure schools reserve the right to rescind admission for bad academic performance your last semester (I know many colleges do this). That said, I think you would have to do pretty badly (think: straight Cs) to have anything actually happen. If you get a couple of Bs and drop below their medians that won't do it.

Is this true? I asked Northwestern if they would rescind if I got bad grades this semester or even failed a class or got incompletes (was a worst case scenario, this stuff won't be happening) and they said they reserved the right to rescind admission and scholarship in the case of serious issues like felonies, but they had confidence in my ability to successfully finish undergrad. Was kind of ambiguous and ominous, but I think they were pretty much telling me that as long as I finish I'm fine.

"Confidence in your ability to successfully finish undergrad" sounds more like a threat to me (or reassurance). Although I guess all it does ask is that you finish undergrad, not that you excel in your last semester.

I don't know, I think they might rethink if you got an F. But final semester grades would have to be truly horrendous for admission to be rescinded, I would think.

Illini372

Postby Illini372 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Successfully finishing undergrad from their mouths sounds like not getting into trouble. I wouldn't read too much into that from an academic standpoint, (congrats on NU btw) that sounds more behavioral/ disciplinary. I think the point about dropping below medians is fair, in which case that will not be happening in my situation, I'm more interested about scholarships and whether they are more conditionally offered.
Last edited by Illini372 on Sun May 09, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Sun May 09, 2010 5:44 pm

Illini372 wrote:Successfully finishing undergrad from their mouths sounds like not getting into trouble. I wouldn't read too much into that from an academic standpoint, (congrats on NU btw) that sounds more behavioral/ disciplinary. I think the point about dropping below medians is fair, in which case that will not be happening in my case, I'm more interested about scholarships and whether they are more conditionally offered.

I think you should be fine. And what they were saying applies to my scholarship too, I hope.

colemf

Postby colemf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:00 pm

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Was there any consideration given to turn it into an option contract where the offer can't be revoked prior to expiration?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”