Non-Trad Applicant Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
usna02

Non-Trad Applicant Question

Postby usna02 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm a non-trad applicant and I am wondering how much emphasis ADCOM's place on your past work experience. For the last several years, I have been a self-employed investor...do you think that ADCOM's will look unfavorably upon this? Thanks.

DelDad

Re: Non-Trad Applicant Question

Postby DelDad » Sat May 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I was also a non-trad student with some self-employed experience on my resume. This job won't affect you in any sort of negative way by its mere presence on your resume. In fact, you may be able to (but don't have to) work what you did in that time into an effective personal statement if you can show that those experiences affected you somehow.

Primarily, admissions committees still focus on the numbers, even for non-trads.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Agree with the above UNLESS your applying PT where, at least at my school, much empsis was given on your work experince when selecting the class. They traied to get a bunch of diffrnt fields represented, I know we had 2 MDs and but 2MDs also got defered to the next year becuase they thought 2 MDs in one class was enough, 2 poliots ect.

usna02

Postby usna02 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:27 pm

That's very good to hear. I just didn't want them to think I was some lazy brat that sat around and invested money.

DelDad wrote:I was also a non-trad student with some self-employed experience on my resume. This job won't affect you in any sort of negative way by its mere presence on your resume. In fact, you may be able to (but don't have to) work what you did in that time into an effective personal statement if you can show that those experiences affected you somehow.

Primarily, admissions committees still focus on the numbers, even for non-trads.
Last edited by usna02 on Sat May 08, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usna02

Postby usna02 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 pm

I want to do a FT Program, but I can see what you mean and where you are coming from.

Matthies wrote:Agree with the above UNLESS your applying PT where, at least at my school, much empsis was given on your work experince when selecting the class. They traied to get a bunch of diffrnt fields represented, I know we had 2 MDs and but 2MDs also got defered to the next year becuase they thought 2 MDs in one class was enough, 2 poliots ect.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 am

usna02 wrote:I'm a non-trad applicant and I am wondering how much emphasis ADCOM's place on your past work experience. For the last several years, I have been a self-employed investor...do you think that ADCOM's will look unfavorably upon this? Thanks.

In my experience, it was viewed as a slightly-above-average soft.

If you're lacking in either the GPA or the LSAT department (but not both, your buggered then), it may help push you over the edge. It will also help if you have median numbers and they are choosing between you and someone straight out of UG.

Just make sure your PS addresses why you suddenly want to switch careers.

usna02

Postby usna02 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks--that's very good to hear.

kalvano wrote:
usna02 wrote:I'm a non-trad applicant and I am wondering how much emphasis ADCOM's place on your past work experience. For the last several years, I have been a self-employed investor...do you think that ADCOM's will look unfavorably upon this? Thanks.

In my experience, it was viewed as a slightly-above-average soft.

If you're lacking in either the GPA or the LSAT department (but not both, your buggered then), it may help push you over the edge. It will also help if you have median numbers and they are choosing between you and someone straight out of UG.

Just make sure your PS addresses why you suddenly want to switch careers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”