165/2.79UGPA/3.4GradGPA - Retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Icculus

Silver

165/2.79UGPA/3.4GradGPA - Retake?

Post by Icculus » Sat May 08, 2010 12:41 pm

I've been out college for about eight years and grad school for three. Got a 165 LSAT studying for about a month and taking three practice tests over that time averaging about 162 on the practice tests. Currently live/work in Boston in education. Not opposed to moving as long as it is to an other midsized to large city. What are my best bets for acceptance and hopefully some scholarship...I'd really like to go to a T1 school. Here is the list I was thinking of applying to. Also, while I'd like to make good money, I currently have a teacher's salary so really almost anything is up. Retake the LSAT? Any ideas on full vs. part time? Especially since I do have a job now.

American University
Arizona State University
Baylor University School of Law
Boston College Law School
Boston University School of Law
Brooklyn Law School
University of California, Hastings College of the Law
Cardozo School of Law
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
University of Colorado Boulder
University of Connecticut School of Law
Duke
Drexel University
Emory University School of Law
Fordham University School of Law
Franklin Pierce Law Center
The George Washington University Law School
Hofstra University School of Law
New England Law | Boston
Northeastern University
Notre Dame Law School
Suffolk University Law School

Teoeo

Silver

Re: 165/2.79UGPA/3.4GradGPA - Retake?

Post by Teoeo » Sat May 08, 2010 12:51 pm

mjcaccio wrote:I've been out college for about eight years and grad school for three. Got a 165 LSAT studying for about a month and taking three practice tests over that time averaging about 162 on the practice tests. Currently live/work in Boston in education. Not opposed to moving as long as it is to an other midsized to large city. What are my best bets for acceptance and hopefully some scholarship...I'd really like to go to a T1 school. Here is the list I was thinking of applying to. Also, while I'd like to make good money, I currently have a teacher's salary so really almost anything is up. Retake the LSAT? Any ideas on full vs. part time? Especially since I do have a job now.

American University
Arizona State University
Baylor University School of Law
Boston College Law School
Boston University School of Law
Brooklyn Law School
University of California, Hastings College of the Law
Cardozo School of Law
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
University of Colorado Boulder
University of Connecticut School of Law
Duke
Drexel University
Emory University School of Law
Fordham University School of Law
Franklin Pierce Law Center
The George Washington University Law School
Hofstra University School of Law
New England Law | Boston
Northeastern University
Notre Dame Law School
Suffolk University Law School
Hate to be the one to say this but you should retake. If you only studied for a month, you could probably break 170 with some real study which would save you so much money (scholly) and/or get u into a way better school.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sat May 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Edit: On a side note, one of the reasons I only studied for around a month or so was because I was really only looking at Suffolk originally for part time, but the more I've researched the more I think I want to attend full time (any opinions on this). Do others think a retake is the right move?

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Sun May 09, 2010 12:40 am

Yes, a retake is the right move.

Here's a potentially helpful thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &hilit=175

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun May 09, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks for the link, I think it will really help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SoCalStudent

New

Post by SoCalStudent » Sun May 09, 2010 4:16 am

Keep us posted on the schools when you apply in October. I have similar numbers: 2.97UGPA/3.55 GRAD, but I haven't taken the LSAT's, yet. My goal is a 170, but 165 will get you into some of the schools you're applying to. Retake in June, because a couple points could determine whether you get a $10K-$20K/yearly scholly, or nothing at all.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun May 09, 2010 4:25 am

Yeah, but dude said he was testing at a 162 average then got a 165 on the real exam, which is really a great score........plus, non-trad and a job. I mean, too bad schools didn't give schollies to pt. student because I'd actually say that keeping your job and hitting Suffolk pt. wouldn't have been a bad idea if you wanted to live in Boston.

I don't know, some of those schools may bite, especially since you've distanced yourself from your UGPA. I'll say this: don't retake if you are not willing to devote the next three months or so to some intense studying. I'm talking like all the bibles, maybe a tutor, etc. Not really worth the retake if you are hitting like 167 average come exam time b/c there is often a test day decrease. You should be hitting like 172+ on average to take the risk of a retake IMO.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Sun May 09, 2010 4:35 am

A'nold wrote:Yeah, but dude said he was testing at a 162 average then got a 165 on the real exam, which is really a great score........plus, non-trad and a job. I mean, too bad schools didn't give schollies to pt. student because I'd actually say that keeping your job and hitting Suffolk pt. wouldn't have been a bad idea if you wanted to live in Boston.

I don't know, some of those schools may bite, especially since you've distanced yourself from your UGPA. I'll say this: don't retake if you are not willing to devote the next three months or so to some intense studying. I'm talking like all the bibles, maybe a tutor, etc. Not really worth the retake if you are hitting like 167 average come exam time b/c there is often a test day decrease. You should be hitting like 172+ on average to take the risk of a retake IMO.
What is this risk of a retake? I thought all but a few schools really just take your best score. Not arguing, I'd really like to know.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun May 09, 2010 11:39 am

I think I am going to retake in October, June just doesn't give me enough time, and I plan on really devoting some time to it. I had planned on devoting a few months the first time, but didn't realize how important the study time was. The other up shot is that I will have the summer to prepare because I am a teacher. I do teach summer school but I am usually out of work by noon, and there will be no distractions since everyone else I know is working. I figure I'll follow a lot of the advice on the linked post and devote late June, July, August, and September. I don't want to retake for a 167, if I go again I want a 172+, I think that's the only way it is worth it. Reading some posts on here since I first took it has really motivated me as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon May 17, 2010 10:12 am

One other question...I had originally planned on applying as early as possible to increase my chances. With an October retake, the earliest possible time for application completion would be mid-late November. Would I be hurting my chances by waiting, assuming I could increase the score by 5 points? I ask because my UGPA really does stand out and I want to compensate for it as much as possible.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Mon May 17, 2010 11:13 am

Similar thread posted by someone earlier, but they culled it after deciding on October over June. In any case, applying early is important, but applying with the best possible LSAT is MOST important. Get everything else done and apply the day you get your score.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 am

mjcaccio wrote:One other question...I had originally planned on applying as early as possible to increase my chances. With an October retake, the earliest possible time for application completion would be mid-late November. Would I be hurting my chances by waiting, assuming I could increase the score by 5 points? I ask because my UGPA really does stand out and I want to compensate for it as much as possible.
Applying with an October score won't hurt you at all, especially if everything else related to your application is taken care of. If you have to wait on a December score, you may get yourself into some trouble. If you have your apps in by November, there's no way you get docked.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:41 pm

I have pretty much your numbers and a slightly similar amount of time off (though no grad school; just WE) and I will write my results for the schools I applied to:

Arizona State University - No response (likely WL/OUT)
Brooklyn Law School - IN
Cardozo School of Law - WL
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology - IN ($)
Fordham University School of Law - OUT (PT)

This should give you some idea of where you stand. Look at LSN for all of the schools; which should give you an even better idea. Apply ULTRA-early and it will give you a better shot (some of the schools I was WL'd at, I would have gotten in if my apps weren't last minute).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue May 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Just got the LG Bible and SuperPrep, have an order in for the bundle of tests 39-59, LR, LG, and RC. I'll let people know how the linked study plan works for me as I get closer to the test. I'm already kicking myself in the ass for not getting the Bibles the first time through, the LG Bible lays out the strategies far better than the Princeton book I used and the McGraw-Hill LG book. Thanks for the advice TLS, should have come here first.

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Wed May 19, 2010 10:16 am

Yeah, the McGraw-Hill books are shockingly terrible.

When I first started studying for the LSAT it was the first book I bought. Things seemed weird even in the first few pages, but I pressed on. Finally, after noticing multiple blatant errors I checked out the reviews on Amazon. Sure wish I had done so in the first place.

Average review = 1.1 / 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hills-LSAT ... 264&sr=1-2

Shamefully bad, may actually lower your score if you really use it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”