Delay Graduation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chia99

Delay Graduation?

Postby chia99 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:58 am

Last edited by chia99 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Re: Delay Graduation?

Postby Knock » Sat May 08, 2010 5:04 am

chia99 wrote:I graduate next quarter from a state university with a major in Finance and my LSAC GPA is currently a 3.26 and I am shooting for a LSAT score of 170+. I am set on going to T-20 school and would love to go to Columbia. However, I know my GPA is not up to par with their standards. If my goal is T-20 (preferably Columbia) would you guys recommend delaying graduation and taking some easy classes that boost my GPA? I'm thinking I should try to get in the 3.5 area, what are your guys thoughts?

If I take classes at a community college that has already granted me an associates degree instead of my university will that reflect negatively upon my chances for admission?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Are you including Summer quarter? That is, would you be graduating at the end of Summer quarter, or end of Fall Quarter?

And no, taking community college classes won't negatively affect your application at all.

You're post is a little ridiculous though......you do realize Columbia is the #4 school in the entire country? There's a huge difference between T-20 and T-4.

Go play around with Law School Predictor, and then answer the question yourself.

chia99

Postby chia99 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Yes, I understand Columbia is #4 but notice I said Columbia is my dream school but I am set on going to T-20. To answer your question I graduate this spring quarter.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Play around with your GPA a little bit. I dont know how much you would be able to raise it, even over another year. The more credits you have, the less impact each new grade will have, and with your GPA already in the B+ range, the only grades worth your while are straight A's. Any thing less than an A- would hurt you and even an A- would be a waste of time.

You could delay graduation until the fall. Take a full load of summer classes, easy classes. Lower division classes, it doesn't matter, just don't get your degree. In the fall, do the same. Take EASY classes. The ones that your whole university KNOWS are the easy ones. You WILL have to take 1 or two legit classes to cover u the fluff.

Another option would be to just delay till the end of the summer and take what you can during a summer session.

Again, you need to play around with your GPA and how many more A's it will take you to boost your GPA.

Your REAL goal right now should be LSAT prep. You will need a solid score to get into a top 20 school, let alone Columbia.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:15 pm

IMO it's not worth it. Bumping your GPA up that far would be hard. And even if you did it, you'd still need a very good LSAT, and you'd still have a less than good shot at Columbia. And be very good LSAT I mean 175+.

But if it doesn't cost you money, and you are taking it at your state school, it won't harm you.

yeff

Postby yeff » Sun May 09, 2010 3:10 am

Concur with the above. Your money and time are probably better spent on LSAT prep, and Columbia is a real reach in any case.

chia99

Postby chia99 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Thank you all for your input, would it matter any if I took the classes at community college that has already granted me an Associates Degree?

Lupton Pittman

Postby Lupton Pittman » Tue May 11, 2010 3:39 pm

This is insane, just graduate like a normal person. You do realize that misbubbling one question on the LSAT would negate all this screwing around trying to bump your GPA by .03?

chia99

Postby chia99 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:00 am

Last edited by chia99 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

chia99

Postby chia99 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:58 pm

BUMP

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:22 am

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm taking a full load of online summer classes at my community college (15 credits) along with 2 classes necessary for me to graduate from my degree granting institution. If I had more time and money I would take even more classes from my degree granting institution, but hey its better than nothing. It is a no-brainer that community college courses are essential for somebody in your position. Look for online courses especially - that way you can also take courses at your degree granting institution.

As far as your associate's degree question is concerned - I doubt that it will stop you from having those credits calculate towards your LSADAS GPA since you'd essentially be taking the courses as a "visiting student." I wouldn't count on my advice however. You're better off calling LSAC and inquiring with them over taking the advice of anybody on this board.

chia99

Postby chia99 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:37 am

Thanks Andyman, good to know others in the same boat. Best of luck!

Player21

Postby Player21 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:10 pm

I am in the same boat. I have a graduating GPA of a 3.3 but because I took soooooo many CC classes in high school, including 2 failure to withdrawals which are counted as 0.0., it has brought me down to around a 2.6 So, I definitely have to take some easy classes to raise my GPA. I was worried because I was thinking how admissions would look at this as taking the easy way out. But, at the same time, I feel like I have no other choice since classes when I took when i was 15 and 16 are being included.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Player21 wrote:I am in the same boat. I have a graduating GPA of a 3.3 but because I took soooooo many CC classes in high school, including 2 failure to withdrawals which are counted as 0.0., it has brought me down to around a 2.6 So, I definitely have to take some easy classes to raise my GPA. I was worried because I was thinking how admissions would look at this as taking the easy way out. But, at the same time, I feel like I have no other choice since classes when I took when i was 15 and 16 are being included.

addendum

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”