Take a job opportunity in Alaska before law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greenchair

Take a job opportunity in Alaska before law school?

Postby greenchair » Sat May 08, 2010 2:14 am

Alaska?
Last edited by greenchair on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Learning Hand

Re: Take a job opportunity in Alaska before law school?

Postby Learning Hand » Sat May 08, 2010 2:30 am

I vote Alaska. King salmon and halibut fishing, grizzlies, mountains, the tides, the northern lights, etc. All amazing.

But it sounds like Green Bay is a better professional move. So don't listen to me.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:35 am

Alaska. I've always wanted to live there. Have a small hope I might be able to clerk for the federal district court up there one day. Saw the northern lights a few years ago for a week in fairbanks. Mindblowing.

TheCheerfulPessimist

Postby TheCheerfulPessimist » Sat May 08, 2010 2:39 am

I sincerely think adcoms will be more impressed with the job itself than where it's located. I just can't see working in Alaska giving you that much of a boost simply because the location is slightly more unique. It's not like it's Bangladesh or something.

Getting a promotion and covering something really intense would probably do more good for your resume than taking the job in Alaska over Wisconsin.

I think you should go for where you really want to be. Maybe make a good old fashioned pro and con list. Do some more research on both cities and the quality of life there. Also, do some research on the quality of both companies. You'll do better work in a place where you really want to be, and that will translate into a better resume in the end.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”