Is this a good idea?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dr. Strangelove

Is this a good idea?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 07, 2010 11:35 pm

So I'm a little bummed out right now- I'd of had an awesome GPA this semester but I just learned I got a D in my Differential Equations class. :(
It's for my major.
I'm so close to completing my major requirements but my grades have been mediocre at best.
I'm really working hard on getting the best LSAT possible (taking it this June)- I've been doing well on practice LSATs and I aced the SAT which I think is the only reason why I'm at my university in the first place.
I was hoping to get my GPA up to 3.0 but with that DiffEQ grade- it's not happening. I would have been placed on goddamn probation if it wasn't for the fact that I overloaded.
So here's what I've been thinking of doing...

1.) Switch my major. (Literally, I'm thinking of switching from Math to English or History..two majors which I was seriously considering but I felt the Math major was more profitable. I already have the Math minor.)
2.) Spend an extra year in college.
3.) Take out loans.

Knock

Re: Is this a good idea?

Postby Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:So I'm a little bummed out right now- I'd of had an awesome GPA this semester but I just learned I got a D in my Differential Equations class. :(
It's for my major.
I'm so close to completing my major requirements but my grades have been mediocre at best.
I'm really working hard on getting the best LSAT possible (taking it this June)- I've been doing well on practice LSATs and I aced the SAT which I think is the only reason why I'm at my university in the first place.
I was hoping to get my GPA up to 3.0 but with that DiffEQ grade- it's not happening. I would have been placed on goddamn probation if it wasn't for the fact that I overloaded.

1.) Switch my major. (Literally, I'm thinking of switching from Math to English or History..two majors which I was seriously considering but I felt the Math major was more profitable. I already have the Math minor.)
3.) Take out loans.

How close/far are you from graduating?

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 07, 2010 11:38 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:So I'm a little bummed out right now- I'd of had an awesome GPA this semester but I just learned I got a D in my Differential Equations class. :(
It's for my major.

3.) Take out loans.

I only need eight more classes (1 year) to graduate so maybe I could pick up another major and graduate in 3 semesters instead of 2.
My main reason for doing this would be to bring my GPA up.. to show law schools that I can excel in some academic field.
If I do this- I feel confident that I can get my GPA above 3.0 and increase my chances significantly at Top law schools.. and even have an interesting GPA addendum to boot.
Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Fri May 07, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
It's for my major.

3.) Take out loans.

I only need eight more classes (1 year) to graduate so maybe I could pick up another major and graduate in 3 semesters instead of 2.

How set are you on going to law school? At the very least I would only entertain the idea if you are 100% dead certain that you are going to law school for sure no matter what.

Trying to get a decent job in the workforce will be difficult with English or History.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 07, 2010 11:44 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
It's for my major.

3.) Take out loans.

How set are you on going to law school? At the very least I would only entertain the idea if you are 100% dead certain that you are going to law school for sure no matter what.

Trying to get a decent job in the workforce will be difficult with English or History.

I'm reasonably set on going to law school. I'm also not sure what kind of decent job I could get given my grades...

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Fri May 07, 2010 11:45 pm

DO NOT SWITCH MAJORS! Your math major will be more profitable if you don't get into a law school, you will have a slight chance of being getting a job somewhere (do teach for america and become a math teacher). An English or History major will just be a waste of money that you will later regret. If you really want to raise your GPA take some crappy CC classes over the summer. Also, how does a math major get a D in DiffyQ?

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 pm

How the hell did you go this long into a math major without taking Diff Eq?

Regardless, if you can't hack it as a Math major, switch. You absolutely want above a 3.0 for T14 law apps. In fact ideally you want to get to 3.2. Below 3.0 is Gtown Pt and NU with w/e territory.

Did you just not put enough effort, or are you not able to grasp it? Because it would really be preferable to stay in the math major. Can you put more effort in?

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 07, 2010 11:48 pm

To come to think of it, it might be smarter to finish the Math major (I only have 2 classes left.) and take on another easier one.
I also already have a Math minor.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:To come to think of it, it might be smarter to finish the Math major (I only have 2 classes left.) and take on another easier one.

Then finish it. Take summer school at a community college for a LSAC GPA boost.

How can you have a minor in the same field as your major.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Fri May 07, 2010 11:51 pm

I was going to say double major. Best of both worlds.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How the hell did you go this long into a math major without taking Diff Eq?

Regardless, if you can't hack it as a Math major, switch. You absolutely want above a 3.0 for T14 law apps. In fact ideally you want to get to 3.2. Below 3.0 is Gtown Pt and NU with w/e territory.

Did you just not put enough effort, or are you not able to grasp it? Because it would really be preferable to stay in the math major. Can you put more effort in?

I can certainly put more effort in.
I've been doing reasonably well in my other math classes too.
I might have overreacted a little bit. I only have two more classes to complete the major.. I'm going to do it.

lostjake wrote: Also how does a math major get a D in DiffyQ?

The diffyq class I took is designed for math majors only. Engineers, physics majors etc.. take a different DiffyQ class.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:To come to think of it, it might be smarter to finish the Math major (I only have 2 classes left.) and take on another easier one.

Then finish it. Take summer school at a community college for a LSAC GPA boost.

How can you have a minor in the same field as your major.

Oops.. I meant that I already have taken enough classes to graduate with a Math minor.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Double majoring is TCR for GPA padding. You want to take more classes but not sacrifice your Math degree. Finish that up, spend a year or two padding the shit out of your GPA by also getting a History degree, make sure you don't receive either diploma until you meet the requirements for both (because your GPA stops accruing for LSAC purposes upon conferrance of first degree), and do it that way.

Though really, your time might be better spent getting 1 year of WE, nailing the LSAT, and EDing to NU.

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Sat May 08, 2010 12:01 am

You think a 3.0 would get you into NU? What would you need on the LSAT to make up for that low of a GPA to be accepted at the 7th ranked law school? 176?

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 08, 2010 12:07 am

LateNight wrote:You think a 3.0 would get you into NU? What would you need on the LSAT to make up for that low of a GPA to be accepted at the 7th ranked law school? 176?

Take a look at LSN. You don't need a score that high to get into NU- especially if you apply ED.
However, from this plan I'm hoping that my GPA>3.0.. more like 3.1-3.2.. maybe higher if I pull straight A's except for in the two math classes I still need to take. (Even there, one of them is a seminar on geometry which isn't hard..)

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 08, 2010 12:13 am

vanwinkle wrote:Double majoring is TCR for GPA padding. You want to take more classes but not sacrifice your Math degree. Finish that up, spend a year or two padding the shit out of your GPA by also getting a History degree, make sure you don't receive either diploma until you meet the requirements for both (because your GPA stops accruing for LSAC purposes upon conferrance of first degree), and do it that way.

Though really, your time might be better spent getting 1 year of WE, nailing the LSAT, and EDing to NU.

These are good tidbits! As another poster said, I might want to try for Teach For America and then apply to NU.
But I'll see what happens.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 08, 2010 12:17 am

LateNight wrote:You think a 3.0 would get you into NU? What would you need on the LSAT to make up for that low of a GPA to be accepted at the 7th ranked law school? 176?

The sub-3.0's I know here (and there are a decent number of us) are all 172+. NU takes a decent number of sub-3.0's to keep up its 172 75th + proportion of students with WE.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 08, 2010 2:35 am

On another note, I need to decide which Math class I don't want to take next semester.

There is Analysis which is required for my major and is really hard.
There is a Geometry seminar which I've heard is one of the easier math classes my school offers. In fact, the only reason why I haven't taken it yet is because all the seniors fill up the class.

I'd pick Analysis but I feel a little wary of waiting till 2nd semester senior year to take it.
However, getting the GPA up is more important...as long as I don't fail the class, I'll get credit- as I've learned that I still get credit for my DiffyQ class.
Not having Analysis on my plate will allow me to focus on the other classes I'm taking..

My schedule would be
Geometry (Math)
Italian II (Italian)
Intro to Financial Accounting (Econ)

PICK TWO OF
History of Consumerism in the U.S (History)
Death in the Middle Ages (History)
The New Nation (1800-1860) (History)

I've heard positive things about all of these classes.

brocklanders12

Postby brocklanders12 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I only need eight more classes (1 year) to graduate so maybe I could pick up another major and graduate in 3 semesters instead of 2.
My main reason for doing this would be to bring my GPA up.. to show law schools that I can excel in some academic field.
If I do this- I feel confident that I can get my GPA above 3.0 and increase my chances significantly at Top law schools.. and even have an interesting GPA addendum to boot.

Am I missing the interesting part? It sounds like you switched to an easier major to pad your stats....

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 08, 2010 11:53 am

brocklanders12 wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I only need eight more classes (1 year) to graduate so maybe I could pick up another major and graduate in 3 semesters instead of 2.

Am I missing the interesting part? It sounds like you switched to an easier major to pad your stats....

Heh.. by interesting, I meant that this is easy to make sound interesting by using flowery rhetoric and adding a lot of pizazz.

quishiclocus

Postby quishiclocus » Sat May 08, 2010 1:15 pm

It sounds like what you need isn't a new major, it's new study skills.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”